U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 12:44 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,075,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Yeah, the Mexican-American youth in LA are more pro-baseball and basketball. I get blank states from some young people here in LA when I mention the World Cup. This city is largely a Dodger/Lakers town.

Now Seattle is another matter entirely! Last time I visited it saw Sounders stuff everywhere. Very impressive soccer town. Same with Kansas City and Chicago from what I hear from my friends who live there.

Contrary to what that nut Ann Coulter writes, the biggest fans of soccer are home grown Americans in largely all white cities. So no foreign plot there!
Seattle may have a white majority, but it is fairly diverse, and has a significant Hispanic population, especially in south Seattle and south King County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 12:44 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,562,432 times
Guys, I'm new to MLS and have only followed the Houston Dynamos during the early years of Brian Ching. After that I followed the EPL and La Liga and stopped watching MLS.

But I want to support the MLS, so what are the best, exciting teams? I like a team based on their players, the fans and their overall style of play. Not to mention they have just have to have a bad a s s look too. My fav EPL team is Liverpool.

I want to support the Galaxy but I don't know.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Guys, I'm new to MLS and have only followed the Houston Dynamos during the early years of Brian Ching. After that I followed the EPL and La Liga and stopped watching MLS.

But I want to support the MLS, so what are the best, exciting teams? I like a team based on their players, the fans and their overall style of play. Not to mention they have just have to have a bad a s s look too. My fav EPL team is Liverpool.

Well, Kansas City and Salt Lake have done well recently.

Seattle is exciting because (a) they play well consistently, and (b) their fans are passionate.

San Jose and L.A. have a rather good history.

Isn't Houston the original San Jose team that dominated early in MLS?

So take your pick.

You can eliminate Chivas USA.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:51 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,488,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Soccer in the U.S. will be big for at least a month.

We made the quarterfinals in 2002 and for a while it was trendy to like soccer.

This republic is just not a soccer country.

The U.S. could win the World Cup(not going to happen) and the only people who would be paying attention to soccer after would be the core MLS fans, and people who get up early to watch Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, or Serie A games.

American football will always be king in the United States.
Belgium is beatable. They haven't played as many tough teams as the United States has. The US team can most certainly beat them.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Belgium is beatable. They haven't played as many tough teams as the United States has. The US team can most certainly beat them.
Agreed.

The U.S. hung with Portugal and Germany.

Belgium is not a pushover, but the U.S. has proved that it can compete with the best in the world.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:58 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,291,337 times
Quote:

Seattle Sounders are usually at the top, in scoring and fan attendance. Of course I like Real Salt Lake, and I think the Portland Timbers are coming up. The fan bases for all three of those teams are pretty passionate, I think. I honestly don't know much about Eastern teams, but it looks like DC United is pretty good.

Last edited by MisfitBanana; 06-26-2014 at 01:07 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 01:19 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,267,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
teams needs more depth - too bad Altidore isn't going to be available.......not that I know anything about the sport, but it seems like they need him badly, especially after watching the last two games.....again, don't know **** about the sport, but it looked like Germany was so much better today and didn't even play up to their potential (as if they held bck)....

Old 06-26-2014, 01:26 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,428,484 times
this is pretty funny:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjkiebus/rea...favorite-human

Old 06-26-2014, 01:28 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,889,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Which is unfortunate, because soccer is a hell of a lot more exciting than American football.
That of course is just an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Agreed.

The U.S. hung with Portugal and Germany.

Belgium is not a pushover, but the U.S. has proved that it can compete with the best in the world.
While the scoreline was 1-0, I would not say the US hung with Germany. They were outplayed in this game, just as they were outplayed by Ghana. The first game the US were fortunate to get the win, but with Germany it didn't matter if they lost.

Belgium are a quality side loaded with talent. This may very well be the World Cup where that talent shows and they make it to at least the quarters.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:40 PM

983 posts, read 1,368,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
teams needs more depth - too bad Altidore isn't going to be available.......not that I know anything about the sport, but it seems like they need him badly, especially after watching the last two games.....again, don't know **** about the sport, but it looked like Germany was so much better today and didn't even play up to their potential (as if they held bck)....

That's the US style. Organized, physical defending, not a lot of ball possession, very vertical attacks if for some strange reason they have the ball. You will never see them play like Brazil, and that's fine, they are effective at what they do. Losing to Germany was always in the budget. I would actually count 0-1 a good result given the difference between the team levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or