Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 04:00 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
When are they ever good?

You'd think with the Billions of dollars that FIFA has, that they could get a system that would allow decent refs and not so many blown games.

If there's a situation that can maybe go 50/50, you do not make the call and decide a game of such importance on a penalty kick.

That call should not have been made.

On another note, these Greeks and Costa Ricans are really annoying me. They are not even getting touched and just laying on the ground... get up.

Both of these teams are gonna get their butts kicked by Holland.
As we all money isn't the issue for FIFA. FIFA wants just please every continental federation. That means a fair share of referees from all continents get to call the games. Many refs from Asia, Africa and some from the Americas are just not used to call games on this stage.
Some like the Asian Referee at the first game even gets intimidated by the crowd and give unjust calls to the host nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 04:00 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Dang, Linda, how did you know this? Is this typical of the Greek team? Is this what happened to them during Euro 04?

Old 06-29-2014, 04:07 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Dang, Linda, how did you know this? Is this typical of the Greek team? Is this what happened to them during Euro 04?
This is how Greece has played since 2001, and miraculously always succeeded. Defend and score around the 88-90th minute.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:12 PM

Also why are they called pirates?

Old 06-29-2014, 04:13 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
As we all money isn't the issue for FIFA. FIFA wants just please every continental federation. That means a fair share of referees from all continents get to call the games. Many refs from Asia, Africa and some from the Americas are just not used to call games on this stage.
Some like the Asian Referee at the first game even gets intimidated by the crowd and give unjust calls to the host nation.
I don't think this is necessarily true. The African ref we had against Chile (IIRC) did an excellent job.

I cannot wait for the day video footage is introduced to football. There has long been a debate about this here in The Netherlands, where field hockey is also a major sport and it has far superior refereeing due to the admission of video footage. The way it works in hockey is that both teams get one opportunity to request the referee to review his decision with the help of video footage. If it turns out that the ref was wrong, the team gets to keep this opportunity to request video footage. However, if the ref was right in his decision, the team will have wasted its opportunity for a video review. This is to prevent teams from abusing this option and thereby stopping play. I think it would be a great improvement for football as well

Old 06-29-2014, 04:15 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Holland looked sluggish in the first half due to the heat. Heck, a good portion of the fans sitting in the sections that were exposed to the sun decided to hang up under the overhang in the shade.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Holland looked sluggish in the first half due to the heat. Heck, a good portion of the fans sitting in the sections that were exposed to the sun decided to hang up under the overhang in the shade.
I know. Yet they came back down as soon as holland scored though. The sub didn't bother them, one of the teams going home did

Old 06-29-2014, 04:21 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Oh, they are famous for it. They get the easiest groups, 1-0 wins, weak opponents in the next round, and if they're down you can count on them equalizing in the last few minutes of the game. They scored 12 goals in 10 matches in the qualifiers for this WC (and that's in a group containing Liechtenstein and Latvia). They finished behind Bosnia in their group, which scored 30 goals in 10 matches, just to illustrate the difference. In this WC group stage they scored 2 goals in 4 games and still managed to go through.

It's not that they're necessarily weak though. It's just the way they play, they don't score much but don't concede much either, which makes them a tough team to play against and rather boring to watch.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:32 PM

25 posts, read 42,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
I think it's especially ridiculous with Robben when he draws a foul gets in the air and waving his arms in the air. So much theater.
i have friends over that dont watch soccer. i am trying to introduce them to soccer and if just one soccer tournament can gain some fans its the world cup. after that penalty one said we watched this game for 2 hours and it ends like this? never again

that one play completely turned them off. he got touched while trying to do something in front of various defenders and in no position to score or make a play, and is awarded a game winner.

never again indeed. im done with soccer. there was also brazils fred penalty vs croatia that angered me.

im never watching soccer again. this happens in europe and south america leagues believe me i know. but if this bs crap is allowed IN THE WORLD CUP of all tournaments what is the point? what happened is an utter shame and its lost some potential followers in some of my friends. we switched the channel

Old 06-29-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyDoeDoe View Post
i have friends over that dont watch soccer. i am trying to introduce them to soccer and if just one soccer tournament can gain some fans its the world cup. after that penalty one said we watched this game for 2 hours and it ends like this? never again

that one play completely turned them off. he got touched while trying to do something in front of various defenders and in no position to score or make a play, and is awarded a game winner.

never again indeed. im done with soccer. there was also brazils fred penalty vs croatia that angered me.

im never watching soccer again. this happens in europe and south america leagues believe me i know. but if this bs crap is allowed IN THE WORLD CUP of all tournaments what is the point? what happened is an utter shame and its lost some potential followers in some of my friends. we switched the channel
Good bye. You won't be missed. That's football. Its cruel but we love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer