Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 04:22 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,786,961 times

Advertisements

Donovan not on US team!!!!

Wholly crap! Terrible decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 04:32 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
Donovan not on US team!!!!

Wholly crap! Terrible decision.
I don't know, I was starrting to think he wasn't going to play much anyway. He is a smart player, but has definitely lost a few steps. Klinsman kept Yedlin and Green, which speaks to a need for speed. this may play into the teams in our group, Portugal and Ghana, which are fast.

Landon Donovan cut from U.S. roster for World Cup - chicagotribune.com

Old 05-22-2014, 04:50 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,981,668 times
Klinsman selected a roster based on personal reason. He has a beef with Donovan and he wants to squeeze as many Germans onto the roster as possible. I don't mind that so much but Chandler and Green do not deserve their places. Klinsman is not bringing the best 23 to Brazil. He's made a crucial mistake.

This is why US Soccer should have waited until after Brazil to extend his contract. The man is not a God.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:52 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,786,961 times
They really need a veteran like Donovan.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:13 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,981,668 times
He's clearly not in his best form but he's still better than Davis and Green is going to get steamrolled, like he did against Mexico, if he gets any minutes. Right now Donovan might not be a starter but he's a quality sub at worst and reliable on PK's. If there's a chance at the spot, we're on shaky ground with Altidore and Dempsey. I've never seen Bradley take a PK but I hope it's something he's working on.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:29 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Klinsman selected a roster based on personal reason. He has a beef with Donovan and he wants to squeeze as many Germans onto the roster as possible. I don't mind that so much but Chandler and Green do not deserve their places. Klinsman is not bringing the best 23 to Brazil. He's made a crucial mistake.

This is why US Soccer should have waited until after Brazil to extend his contract. The man is not a God.
Have to agree, seems like a slap in the face to Donovan who is only 32! I think maybe Klinsman is overthinking the group and the heat picking young, green players he hopes can compete against say Ghana, with youthful energy alone. It's still soccer Jurgen, a player like Donovan could come off the bench and make that one crafty play to turn the match.

They are my clear pick to fail to come out of the group now seeing how the manager has selected for the future. Boo

Old 05-23-2014, 06:53 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
Double edged sword now, id love to see US do good but at the same time id like to see Klinsmann get sacked. I said he wasnt right when they hired him and this squad proves it to me.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:39 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,223 times
Interesting comemnts on Donovan. Personally, I agree with Klinsmann. I'd think his opinion has great weight simply because he hismelf was a scorer and has the insight to know what it is needed at that level the US is playing at.
Just my opinion but Mr. Donovan looked to lack 'drive'.

And as far as Klinsmann, best thing that ever happened to the US team in terms of competent leadership. JK knows what it takes to win on the world stage and playing the Cup. His experience is extremely valuable. And I think by dropping Donovan he's suggesting it's a new era for the future of the US team. As Klinsmann said...'soccer is about what you do today and what you hopefully do tomorrow'. With his great responsibility he surely saw Donovan coming up short.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:20 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,202 times
I've been thinking on this overnight, I'm still a bit bit stunned Donovan didn't make it. I was expecting him to come off the bench when we are down 2-1 with 20 minutes to go. I would think he could make an impact in that timeframe. The more I think about it, the more I don't know why they kept Evans (powerful left foot), but dropped Donovan. I'm not sure how you use Evans, great on set pieces, but lacking in other areas.

I can't even figure out the starting lineup...

Howard
Beasley?-Besler-Cameron-F Johnson
Bradley-Jones
Zusi/Mix?-Dempsey-Bedoya?
Altidore

Old 05-23-2014, 09:40 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,843,389 times
Tim Howard

John Brooks
Fabian Johnson
Geoff Cameron

Julian Green
Michael Bradley
Jermaine Jones
Alejandro Bedoya

Clint Dempsey
Aron Johannsson
Bobby Wood

That would be my starting 11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer