Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 07:25 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,797,919 times

Advertisements

I don't get why people and the media still talk about the traveling the US has to do for their 3 group games. The US chose their base camp to be down near Sao Paulo. They should have done what Germany did and make their base way up the coast, a lot closer to their venues for games 1 and 3. Even Ghana is up near Germany thus cutting down on the amount of travel they have to do for their matches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 09:16 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,620,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I think there is a pretty good chance that the US will be knocked out Thursday. The Germans are not going to do us any favour and play for a draw, its not how they do things. Germany are much better than Portugal and Ghana and I think Portugal will get the victory over Ghana. Obviously this WC is full of surprises and I could be wrong but its what I am predicting, I hope I am wrong.
You do know that, regardless of the Germany result, the US will most likely advance if Portugal beat Ghana, right? Unless Portugal blow them out, which I find unlikely.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:48 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,003,408 times
How is Portugal going to beat Ghana after their amazing display against Germany? Portugal only scored against us because of two terrible mistakes by the defense, both of which can be blamed on a disappointingly performing Bradley. I don't know why he's been doing so bad lately. He did well during the Portugal game midway through but then just lost steam.

The Germans can sniff out mistakes like that and take advantage of that with extreme precision. That's what scares me about the US advancing. I don't even think the US should worry about scoring in the last game. Just play pure defense and draw.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:58 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
You do know that, regardless of the Germany result, the US will most likely advance if Portugal beat Ghana, right? Unless Portugal blow them out, which I find unlikely.
So long as you realise Germany has the ability to know 4 past us if they step their game up. Portugal have the ability to do well against Ghana, they will go balls out attack.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:31 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,797,919 times
I think Ghana either ties or beats Portugal in their final group match. I still cannot understand why they did not start Prince Boateng, perhaps their best player against the US. When Ghana played the US they were the better side and very well should have either won, or tied the match.

I have no doubt a German side that puts in a full effort would be able to easily score 5 or 6 goals against the US. Germany will not only want to beat their former manager, but send a message after their lackluster performance against Ghana. I think Germany will win by at least 2 goals.

ESPN also needs to tone down the blatant homerism going on between Lalas and Twellman. The US blew a prime chance to secure a spot into the round of 16 and that fact seems to be a bit lost on some of the ESPN analysts.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:55 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,527 times
We won our group, now let's hope Brazil does its part or it was all for nothing

Old 06-23-2014, 11:59 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,786,614 times
don't peak too soon lindavangaal

Old 06-23-2014, 12:40 PM

626 posts, read 1,239,439 times
With the Netherlands victory, it puts Chile against Brazil on next round....something they have done on previous times in WC (France, South Africa) with Brazil advancing both times.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:09 PM

814 posts, read 1,149,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I think Ghana either ties or beats Portugal in their final group match. I still cannot understand why they did not start Prince Boateng, perhaps their best player against the US. When Ghana played the US they were the better side and very well should have either won, or tied the match.
KPB does not seem fully fit. He was definitely a passenger more often than not against Germany, and I don't think it's entirely coincidental that Ghana scored both of their goals after he was subbed off, and had a few other great counterattacking opportunities.

A bigger concern for Ghana is that Sulley Muntari is suspended for the match. Appiah may have to call on Essien to give them as much as his legs have left for an hour or so.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:17 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,017,724 times
The Netherlands = Semi-Final LOCK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer