Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 12:34 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Its still impossible to tell. I think a lot of people have absolutely no idea how difficult it is to run with a ball at your feet and not be a kick and chase player. Any fast player can kick a ball and chase it, it takes a special set of skills to run with a ball at your feet.

Its akin to saying Neil Ruddock is a big man, hed make a badass quarter back.

I believe Ocho Cinco was one of those athletes many thought could play multiple sports. Even a Sporting Whiz of Kansas fan on here was excited he had trials with them with a view to play and he failed miserably. Of course every excuse under the sun from some of their fans was made but it all boiled down to he was crap.
Yeah, but the idea is not that those specific athletes would be good. It's just that you could see some of their attributes transferring over to the pitch.

Rajon Rondo might not be good with a soccer ball. But some other lesser basketball player (say a Brandon Stuckey or JR Smith) may have actually turned out to be a better soccer player. Of course, we'll never know this since basketball and football are the default sports in most cities.

When I was growing up, the best athletes were good at everything. The same guy who would beat you in a 100-yard sprint could hit home runs, he could take you to the hoop, and could even beat you at badminton. These guys ALL chose to play basketball or football. But given how quickly they all picked up on other sports (one even became a decent tennis player in the course of one season), I think they could have picked up soccer pretty easily as well.

The thing about basketball in America is that pretty much everyone plays it and then natural selection takes its course. That doesn't happen with soccer here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Not really rigid, I just think its a bit silly. If you say right now, take X player and put him in Y sport its not gonna happen. Least not into soccer or into NFL thats for sure. If you say as a kid if they trained differently its hard to say, different attributes etc. Chalk it up to whatever you want.
But nobody said that. You didn't read the OP.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:42 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,251 times
Quote:
Not really rigid, I just think its a bit silly. If you say right now, take X player and put him in Y sport its not gonna happen. Least not into soccer or into NFL thats for sure. If you say as a kid if they trained differently its hard to say, different attributes etc. Chalk it up to whatever you want.
Fair enough ... maybe it's just me but I don't even see the point in responding to a thread like this if one finds the question posed that implausible.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
I refuse to believe that you all are this rigid in your thinking as to find these sorts of hypothetical questions totally without merit; rather I'll chalk this up to another case of "LOL fat yanks think their "athletes" could lay football lol handegg".
I have heard a lot of the "it requires too much technical skill unlike _____." Or "size doesn't matter so they wouldn't have an advantage." Or "it's a thinking man's game and you just can't jump over everybody." It's funny because people once said the same thing about African American athletes in basketball. They were supposedly too dumb and undisciplined to be good players.

Quote:
There were so many stereotypical notions about black ballplayers then, particularly the farther south you got. Mostly, it was presumed they were undisciplined and stupid. "We all just assumed," Williams said, "that Texas Western would throw behind-the-back passes and shoot the ball from 25 feet. And people didn't know, of course, that the Texas Western coach, Don Haskins, had played for Hank Iba and nobody who ever played for Coach Iba would run a team that way. And when the game got started, we all sat there and watched Texas Western run a better half-court offense than Kentucky, and play better man-to-man defense than Kentucky. There were possessions where Texas Western passed it 10 times before taking a shot. . . . It was beautiful."
Michael Wilbon - A Win for Texas Western, A Triumph for Equality

So we saw how that turned out. They totally changed the way people thought about the game. And it wasn't just because of size, speed and strength, but because of a different type of creativity and improvisation that hadn't been brought to the game before.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:47 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But nobody said that. You didn't read the OP.
I did read the OP, I merely deviated slightly and I addressed the OP with the reset of my post. Its just too hard to tell.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I did read the OP, I merely deviated slightly and I addressed the OP with the reset of my post. Its just too hard to tell.
But you don't "have to tell." It's just a thread about players you would have liked to see on a pitch. It doesn't necessarily mean they'd be Maradona. It's just interesting to think about their potential in a different sport based on their attributes.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:58 PM

Check out Peter Warrick at the 3:13 mark. Doesn't he remind you of Ronaldinho the way he makes entire defenses go the wrong direction? Warrick Dunn was quite the elusive little bugger too. Legs like tree trunks, a low center of gravity, and fast as all get out.

Deion Sanders, Warrick Dunn, Peter Warrick, Terrell Buckley - Florida State - YouTube

Old 03-18-2014, 02:28 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Not sure, maybe Barry Sanders? He is pretty short, but i guess part of the reason he was good in football was the inability of defenders to hit him square. Not sure if he could move like that with a ball at his feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer