Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 09:56 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times

Advertisements

This is not to say that these athletes could transfer directly over to the pitch and dominate. It's not even to say that these athletes would have been good footballers if they had grown up playing the sport their entire lives. However, there are athletes whose agility, body type, speed, balance, body control, quickness, lateral movement, creativity and awareness/heady play in their particular sport make you wonder what type of footballers they would have been. While there are certainly some guys who were "born to play" a specific sport (e.g., Andre Agassi), there are also a lot of guys who are good at basically everything they do. Some of our best professional athletes (Allen Iverson, Deion Sanders, Randy Moss, Bo Jackson, Tony Gonzales, etc.) excelled at multiple sports.

Derrick Rose goes at the top of my list (6'3). This guy is a jet who can change directions at the drop of a penny. When a 26-year old Lebron James doesn't even bother pursuing you in the open court, YOU ARE FAST.

Fast Break: Derrick Rose Elite Speed Highlights! - YouTube

Ty Lawson also gets the nod from me (5'10). Basketball players in general seem better suited for the pitch to me since both sports have a similar type of flow/continuity and require split-second decision making and heady play. Lawson is excellent at making good decisions while moving down the court at warp speed.

Fast Break: Ty Lawson Elite Speed Highlights - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 10:11 AM

Allen Iverson (5'11-6'0). Absolutely fearless. At 155 pounds, he never thought twice about crashing into guys twice his size. He was blindingly fast. He made the Energizer Bunny look lethargic. His speed and tenacity alone would bother the most gifted ball handlers. Iverson changed directions faster than anyone. He was a radioactive pinball. There was no prediciting where he'd go.

The LittleBig Man - Allen Iverson HD Mix - YouTube

Old 03-18-2014, 10:27 AM

Rajon Rondo (6'1). Rondo is a very clever fox. He learns and figures things out very quickly. And he sees everything. He understands both space and pace. He knows where the ball needs to be at all times. And he's got a shark's instinct for sniffing out weaknesses in any defensive scheme. If you stop paying attention for only a moment, Rondo makes you pay the price.

Rajon Rondo - I Do It (Highlight Mix) - YouTube

Old 03-18-2014, 11:03 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
Lol football players need to be playing football since their childhood to get to a decent level.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Lol football players need to be playing football since their childhood to get to a decent level.
And basketball players need to play basketball since childhood to get to a decent level. And tennis players (even more technical lessons and training). And gymnasts. And figure skaters. And on and on and on.

I didn't say that Derrick Rose would be able to step onto the pitch today and win a Ballon d'Or. I said that certain athletes have qualities that are prized in soccer, which makes you wonder what type of soccer players they would have been. While it's clear that Shaquille O'Neal would not make a good soccer player, I could see more nimble swing and point guards being good players.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:14 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Read his original post.

Anyway, some guys I think have/had the physical makeup of a top footballer:

Michael Vick: Incredibly quick and shifty, and seems like he's got great natural coordination, could've been a dangerous wing.

Kobe Bryant: I imagine had he stayed in Italy and took up football, he could've made an imposing central defender/GK.

Terrell Owens: 6'3" and played basketball as well before the NFL, a guy like that could be trouble inside the box.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:20 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Its still impossible to tell. I think a lot of people have absolutely no idea how difficult it is to run with a ball at your feet and not be a kick and chase player. Any fast player can kick a ball and chase it, it takes a special set of skills to run with a ball at your feet.

Its akin to saying Neil Ruddock is a big man, hed make a badass quarter back.

I believe Ocho Cinco was one of those athletes many thought could play multiple sports. Even a Sporting Whiz of Kansas fan on here was excited he had trials with them with a view to play and he failed miserably. Of course every excuse under the sun from some of their fans was made but it all boiled down to he was crap.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:23 PM

Hmm. I didn't even think of Mike Vick. Soccer may have been better for him in the long run. How many broken ribs and concussions has he had?

Another football player who comes to mind is Adrian Peterson. Could you imagine how powerful he would be? Not even 225 pound strong safeties can pull him down by his legs. And his shiftiness and acceleration are otherworldly.

Adrian Peterson l BEAST l Highlights - YouTube

Old 03-18-2014, 12:24 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Its still impossible to tell. I think a lot of people have absolutely no idea how difficult it is to run with a ball at your feet and not be a kick and chase player. Any fast player can kick a ball and chase it, it takes a special set of skills to run with a ball at your feet.

Its akin to saying Neil Ruddock is a big man, hed make a badass quarter back.
I refuse to believe that you all are this rigid in your thinking as to find these sorts of hypothetical questions totally without merit; rather I'll chalk this up to another case of "LOL fat yanks think their "athletes" could lay football lol handegg".

Old 03-18-2014, 12:32 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Not really rigid, I just think its a bit silly. If you say right now, take X player and put him in Y sport its not gonna happen. Least not into soccer or into NFL thats for sure. If you say as a kid if they trained differently its hard to say, different attributes etc. Chalk it up to whatever you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer