U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 04:48 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,947,691 times

Advertisements

I'm wearing my new jersey! Sadly I had to get the kid's size. It is nice but why are they all polyester? Is it a crime to wear natural fabrics to play sports? I guess all the professional players are wearing synthetics nowadays? It is not biodegradable, so I'll be keeping it forever. The common wisdom seems to be the plastic fabrics are better for "performance." That's BS IMO...but who am I?

Speaking of kits...Real Madrid has a new kit. It has green for the goalies and hot pink for the players. It is pretty.

Enough yakking about clothes. I'm going to explore the rest of the team USA midfield. Thus far they've been so so in terms of looks, so I'm hoping to stumble on a very cute guy. So hard up, right? But honestly this is a lot more work than I anticipated...so finding the cute guys is like my reward for all the research.

Brad Davis:

Brad was born in Missouri in the United States. As an undergraduate, he played for Saint Louis University where he won the Conference USA Freshman of the Year award and the NSCAA All-American award. He started his professional career with the New York MetroStars in 2002. After playing with the Metrostars, Brad transferred to the Houston Dynamo in 2006, where he currently plays.

Brad won the team MVP award in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. The US Major League Soccer federation has also awarded him with the All Star award 6 times. Good job, Brad!

Brad Davis | Midfielder | Birthplace: Saint Charles, Mo. Age: 32... Photo-6366647.86658 - Houston Chronicle
Brad Davis, Soccer, Video, Drills : ProtegeSports.com - Protege Athletes
Brad Davis | MLSsoccer.com

Mikkel Diskerud

Holy Mother of... I mean...Ooh Look who we have here. Mix seems to be kind of cute. He has nice curly hair and pretty blue eyes. He was born in Oslo Norway to one Norwegian and one American parent. He has played in Norway for Stabaek IF and Rosenborg BK. He has also played for Belgian club KAA Gent. His current club is Rosenborg.

Like many of the babies Coach Juergen has snatched from Europe, Mix is also pretty young. It is notable that he has inherited the #10 shirt from Landon Donovan. In a pre-cup game against Azerbaijan, he scored one of the winning goals. Good job, Mix!

Mikkel Diskerud - player profile - Transfermarkt
Mix Diskerud & Aron Johannsson’s Late Goals Proved the U.S. National Team’s Superiority Over Azerbaijan | The Big Lead

Julian Green

Julian is another player who likes mohawks. He kind of looks like a mini Smokey Robinson. He also looks a lot like Pele.

Julian was born in Tampa Florida. He moved to Germany when he was a little kid where he enjoyed playing both soccer and hockey.

Even though he spent most of his time in Germany, he made yearly trips to the US and was proud to be an American. According to his dad:
“Julian would get very defensive when his brother would make fun of [his English],” his father said. “So Julian would say to his brother, ‘Yeah, well, I was born in America and you weren’t. I’m from Tampa and you’re not. You’re German. I’m an American.’”

Julian played in the German junior leagues for Bayern Munich's under 16, 17 and 19 teams. He currently plays for Bayern Munich. So far at 19, he may be the youngest player we have met. About himself he says “Technically, I’m good. I’m fast. I score goals. I can score goals with my head or my left foot or my right foot.”

Julian Green’s father reveals what drove the Bayern Munich phenom to pick the U.S. over Germany | For The Win
Julian Green - player profile - Transfermarkt
So who is Julian Green? Bayern stars Robben, Schweinsteiger offer endorsements | SI.com

Jermaine Jones

Jermaine seems to have had a lot of different hairstyles, but I like him with short hair. High and tight? I'd like to see him wear his hair short during the world cup. Apart from the tats, his body is also pretty nice, adding to the bowl of eye candy that is this year's USA team.

Jermaine has had a long career in Europe, where he began to play in 1994. He's played professionally for Eintracht Frankfurt, Bayer 04 Leverkusen and FC Schalke 04 in the Bundesliga in Germany. He's also played for the Blackburn Rovers in England. Jermaine's current club is Beskitas in Turkey.

Graham Zusi

And last but not least we have Graham Zusi. He's another player with thick, wavy hair. It seems to look better short. I'm hoping he'll get a nice cut for the FWC and ditch the Harry Styles headband.

Graham was born in Orlando Florida. He played football as and kid as did his four brothers and sisters. Graham's dad David was also their coach. In college he played for the University of Maryland in the US. At UMD, Graham won The Most Outstanding Offensive player award in the 2008 college cup. He has played professionally with Sporting Kansas City since 2009. In 2012 he won an All Star award from the US Major League Soccer federation.

Graham Zusi | MLSsoccer.com
Graham Zusi's journey to World Cup began in Central Florida - Orlando Sentinel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 10:11 AM

218 posts, read 210,727 times
I love our team but sadly we will not make it out of the group stage.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:48 PM

Well we'll see. The players are good, but some of the babies may be nervous since it is their first time in such a big competition. I'm happy with the teamwork and the good relationship I've seen in the friendlies I've watched so far. The guys are also fit and energetic. I'm thinking it could go either way for Ghana or Germany. IMO most of the crowd would support the US against these teams.

That could be an advantage. Ghana is also having some issues this year and I don't think Germans can deal with heat. Ha ha ha. The English side had some acclimatization to try to get used to the weather. I bet it is 10 X worse for Germany. We at least have some players from the south on the US team.

Portugal esp with CR7 is going to be the biggest danger, IMO. Even though they're the evil colonial power, I'm predicting they may get a lot of support from the crowd. And the climate may be less of a problem for their players. We really got stuck in a scary group. But I don't play football, so hopefully the guys on the team are not scared and will just go there with a desire to beat some a$$.

Another thing that may be on our side is a desire on the part of the players to perform well on a world stage. The international leagues pay so much better than the MLS in the US. Well...except for Bradley. He finagled a crazy expensive deal to play for Toronto. Too bad money can't buy hair...oh wait a minute...Rooney LOL. Anyway it could be a good chance for them to show their talent and have a chance to make millions and date WAGS. That is for the guys who are still in the MLS...

At any rate I'm done speculating. I'm in the home stretch and it is time to meet our forwards.

Jozmer Altidore

Jozy is not super good-looking, but he has nice skin and a cute butt. At 23, he is also very young. In the past month, Jozy scored two goals to lead the US team to a win against Nigeria in the pre FWC friendly. He hugged the guys who assisted in such a cute way. They all looked happy. It was heartwarming.

Jozy is a Haitian American who was born in New Jersey in the USA. He started to play professionally in 2006 at the age of 16 with the New York Red Bulls where he scored many goals. He also represented the US in the FIFA under-17 and FIFA under-20 World Cups and in the Beijing Olympics.

In 2008, Jozy moved to Spain to play for the Villeareal club. He has played for Xerez CD in Spain, Hull in England, Bursaspor in Turkey, and AZ Alkmaar in the Netherlands. His current club is Sunderland AFC in the English Premier league.

Jozy speaks fluent Spanish. Although he was subjected to racist chants in the Dutch league, he scored 24 goals for AZ Alkmaar in 2013...the most of any American player in a European season. Poor baby, he sounded really upset when they interviewed him. Jozy is now an ambassador for the Show Racism the Red Card campaign. He also has a charity called the Jozy Altidore Foundation.

Jozy Altidore – USMNT | US Soccer Players
Jozy Altidore - player profile - Transfermarkt
(Sunderland), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
SAFC - Altidore becomes anti-racism ambassador
JozyAltidore.com

Clint Dempsey:

Like many of the other players in soccer today, Clint seems to be covered in tats like a Yakuza. He's not super handsome, but the picture of him with the fish is kind of interesting, so that is the one I've included.

Clint is the Captain of the US National Team. He was born in Texas and is a fan of fishing and hiphop. He recorded a single called "Don't Tread" in 2006. He played soccer in High school and at Furman University. At university, his team won two southern conference titles and two NCAA tournaments.

He played for the USA FIFA under-20 team and was named to the USA Men's national team in 2004. Clint has played professionally for the Fulham and Spurs clubs in England. Before Josy broke his record, Clint was the highest scoring American in a European season. He currently plays for the Seattle Sounders club in the US.

While with the Sounders, Clint has won Player of the Week multiple times.

Transfermarkt
Clint Dempsey | MLSsoccer.com
Seattle Sounders' Clint Dempsey picks up another award, claiming Week 6's AT&T Goal of the Week | MLSsoccer.com

Uh oh kids, it looks like we're out of time again. Kinky is pooped. I'll finish meeting our forwards in the next post.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:08 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,418,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Kyle Beckerman:

I LOVE his dreadlocks! Kyle was born in Maryland, USA. He played youth soccer in the US and has played professionally since 2000. In 2013 he was the captain of Real Salt Lake. The team had a successful season, reaching the US Open cup final.

Kyle has been playing with the US national team since his under-17 days starting in 1999. He is married, and likes fishing and...of course reggae.

Kyle Beckerman | MLSsoccer.com
Kinky,
Something you may like that I saw on TV regarding Beckerman. When he was younger he would leave notes telling his Mom he was going down to the park to play soccer. He would sign all the notes:

Kyle Beckerman
USA

He said he dreamed of being on the USMNT and that was why he signed the notes that way...

Old 06-10-2014, 11:44 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,359,463 times
[quote=kinkytoes;35167399]Well we'll see. The players are good, but some of the babies may be nervous since it is their first time in such a big competition. I'm happy with the teamwork and the good relationship I've seen in the friendlies I've watched so far. The guys are also fit and energetic. I'm thinking it could go either way for Ghana or Germany. IMO most of the crowd would support the US against these teams.

That could be an advantage. Ghana is also having some issues this year and I don't think Germans can deal with heat. Ha ha ha. The English side had some acclimatization to try to get used to the weather. I bet it is 10 X worse for Germany. We at least have some players from the south on the US team.

Portugal esp with CR7 is going to be the biggest danger, IMO. Even though they're the evil colonial power, I'm predicting they may get a lot of support from the crowd. And the climate may be less of a problem for their players. We really got stuck in a scary group. But I don't play football, so hopefully the guys on the team are not scared and will just go there with a desire to beat some a$$.

Another thing that may be on our side is a desire on the part of the players to perform well on a world stage. The international leagues pay so much better than the MLS in the US. Well...except for Bradley. He finagled a crazy expensive deal to play for Toronto. Too bad money can't buy hair...oh wait a minute...Rooney LOL. Anyway it could be a good chance for them to show their talent and have a chance to make millions and date WAGS. That is for the guys who are still in the MLS...

At any rate I'm done speculating. I'm in the home stretch and it is time to meet our forwards.

It was 90 degrees in Berlin yesterday...

Old 06-10-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:

It was 90 degrees in Berlin yesterday...
The hospitals must be full.

The team is now in Brazil and according to the Daily Mail, they're staying at the
Tivoli Sao Paulo Mofarrej
Alameda Santos, 1437 - Cerqueira César
São Paulo - Brazil

The concierge will not give any specific info. about the guests, but if you have the player's names it looks like you can send fan gifts. The team will have to fly to the North of Brazil for matches. I'm kind of sad I can't go as now I'm like overcome with desire to see the matches... But who cares about me? Let us move on to the final two players in our roster.

Aron Johannsson

Aron currently plays for Dutch club AZ Alkmaar. When I did a search, photos of Kevin Bacon also appeared. He does look a lot like Kevin Bacon, but with light colored hair. Aron was born in Alabama, USA to Icelandic parents. He was raised in Iceland, where the family moved when he was 3. Aron pissed the country off by deciding to play for the US team.

In 2007, Aron was part of the US Soccer Federation's program for youth players in Bradenton, FL where he attended school for two years. He started his professional career with the Fjolnir club in Reykjavik. Aron then moved to the Aarhus GF club in Denmark and then to AZ Alkmaar in the Netherlands.

At AZ Alkmaar, he played with Jozy Altidore, who convinced him to join the US team. Some of Aron's fans have made a video of him to the tune of Footloose. It is on Y_tube. He speaks really good English and has a very cute accent. In the video, he says when he was younger, he worked in films in Iceland and had offers to star in Hollywood movies.

Looks-wise he's not my weakness, but he kind of looks a little like Niall from 1D with more regular features. I think a lot of girls will like him.

Aron Johannsson: Icelandic American hopes to bring home Bacon in World Cup - The Washington Post
Aron Jóhannsson - player profile - Transfermarkt

And to overuse a worn out phrase...last but not least:

Chris Wondolowski:

I'm loving the following quote:

"It doesn't matter what people say," Wondolowski said after learning he made the team. "Some people develop later. The message is, don't give up."

That's true about a lot of things in life. According to a story on mercurynews.com, Chris has "emerged from the shadows" to become the #1 goal scorer in the US league in the past 4 years. Wow that's impressive. Bye the way, Chris is married and he and his wife just had a baby. aww Congrats to them! Like a lot of dads, he seems totally in love with his little girl.

He was born in California and currently plays for the San Jose Earthquakes team in the US. He played youth soccer and won US Major League Soccer's Golden Boot award for high scoring in 2010 and 2011. In 2012, he was voted the league's Most Valuable Player.

Wondocito (Kinky's new nickname) is also the only Native American on the team. His mom is an Oklahoma Kiowa and Wondo's tribal name is "Bau Daigh" that means Warrior Coming Over the Hill. Next Monday he and the rest of our tribe...whoops team...will be coming over the hill to beat some Ghanaian, German and Portuguese a$$. Best of luck, guys!

Wondo-ful Life: Chris Wondolowski's fairytale adventure to the World Cup - San Jose Mercury News

Old 06-11-2014, 04:38 AM

2,739 posts, read 2,601,205 times
They call Jozy Altidore, Barn Door up in Sunderland as he couldn't hit one and sometime Dozy Altidore.

I feel a bit sorry for him, as he just doesn't seem to be able to score in the Premiership, he does however have ability and does cause the opposition problems in relation to his size and strength, most notable in the derby match with Newcastle United.

Hopefully as part of an improved Sunderland Team under Gus Poyet he can fulfill his potential next season and score goals in the Premiership similar to those he scores at international level.

All the best to the lad and I hope he has a good World Cup and good season next year.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:00 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,418,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
They call Jozy Altidore, Barn Door up in Sunderland as he couldn't hit one and sometime Dozy Altidore.

I feel a bit sorry for him, as he just doesn't seem to be able to score in the Premiership, he does however have ability and does cause the opposition problems in relation to his size and strength, most notable in the derby match with Newcastle United.

Hopefully as part of an improved Sunderland Team under Gus Poyet he can fulfill his potential next season and score goals in the Premiership similar to those he scores at international level.

All the best to the lad and I hope he has a good World Cup and good season next year.
Watching Sunderland vs USMNT games, Jozy plays a similar game (hold up play), but in USMNT games he gets more opportunities because the US actually crosses the ball and has build up play...Sunderland doesn't have that ability. Sunderland is a bad place for him, his strengths don't match the team's abilities.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:45 PM

Even the Sunderland fans know the team sucks. Jozy is on a team...not playing by himself. He was a high-scoring player before he went to Sunderland, wasn't he? He's also now scoring on the US team. Since soccer is a team sport, I think he may need decent players who give him passes so he can put them in the goal.

The management seem to be trying to build a decent team and it looks like they may be getting some better players to bulk up the ranks very soon. Now he is in a new place and learning the ropes, and the rest of the team is not very good. I'm sure it takes getting used to. I guess he could levitate the ball with his mind and set up shots himself...

OK well I'm back to apologize for my glib remark about Germans in the hospital. It turns out they're having what counts as a heat wave over there and it hit a cold front. There are some bad storms. Some people have died. Condolences to Germany. I still hope we beat them.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:49 AM

2,739 posts, read 2,601,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Watching Sunderland vs USMNT games, Jozy plays a similar game (hold up play), but in USMNT games he gets more opportunities because the US actually crosses the ball and has build up play...Sunderland doesn't have that ability. Sunderland is a bad place for him, his strengths don't match the team's abilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Even the Sunderland fans know the team sucks. Jozy is on a team...not playing by himself. He was a high-scoring player before he went to Sunderland, wasn't he? He's also now scoring on the US team. Since soccer is a team sport, I think he may need decent players who give him passes so he can put them in the goal.
He does hold the ball up well, but one goal out of 30 premier league appearances at Sunderland (he did also score one in the cup against MK Dons), one goal in twenty eight appearances whilst he was at Hull. So in 58 appearances in the English Premier League. Altidore has scored two goals, even with poor midfield service and support, that's still some achievement.

Altidore seemed to do well in the Dutch League, but the Dutch League is not the Premier League in England. As for Sunderland, yes they had problems last season but they managed to beat quite a few big teams including Man Utd, Chelsea, Everton, Newcastle and draw with Man City, so they weren't that bad, and players such as Borini (on loan) and later Connor Wickham managed a lot more goals than Altidore, and Connor Wickham was on loan at Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds for half the season. Saying that Fletcher, who is injury prone also had a terrible season, bit saying that the juries still out on Altidore and I hope he starts to prove his worth during this World Cup and next season in the Premiership.

BBC Sport - Football - Sunderland - Top Scorers

Last edited by Bamford; 06-12-2014 at 04:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or