U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 07:11 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,406,753 times

Advertisements

Well, while I am huge MLS fan and a huge fan of the US national team, I hate to point out the obvious that friendlies dont matter to a majority of teams (though they do to US) like Germany. All they want is to come out uninjured. I wouldnt use victories over Belize, Club, Honduras and Azerbaijan to prove any kind of point either. Those teams are pretty much worthless.

The US is getting better and they will be a much more competitive team in the WC's to come as football grows in the US. But right now they're not really that competitive. Being second best in every game in the WC should show you that unless you are blinded by national pride. I am not saying that the achievement of getting out of that group isnt fantastic, it was. I picked the US to finish 4th or 3rd at highest. They battled well, but they werent competitive in a footballing sense.

There are some younger players and some MLS players that havent gotten a look in that will in the years to come that I am excited to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Germany 4-3 June 2013

Guatemala 6-0 July 2013

Belize 6-1 July 2013

Cuba 4-1 July 2013

Costa Rica 1-0 July 2013

El Salvador 5-1 July 2013

Honduras 3-1 July 2013

Panama 1-0 July 2013

Bosnia 4-3 August 2013

Republic of Korea 2-0 Feb 2014

Azerbijan 2-0 May 2014

Turkey 2-1 June 2014

Nigeria 2-1 June 2014

Ghana 2-1 June 2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 08:31 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,974,341 times
As you may know from reading this thread or elsewhere online, John Brooks got some flack for missing Hertha Games after he got a tattoo on his back. I'd been looking ALL OVER for images of the tattoo, to no avail. But John had pity on me and posted a pic on his a$$tagram.

He is on vacation before starting the season with Hertha Berlin:

Instagram

It looks like a wing. So I'm guessing he'll get the other wing sometime in the future? Well he's never going to get into a Japanese sauna like that! I'm not a tattoo lover at all, but all these guys seem to have them.

To make it worthwhile for fans...he should take a video of him getting the next part done. Some of the Yakuza videos of guys getting their tats done are kind of cool. Looks painful, though. For anyone who is interested in Hertha Berlin, you can visit their website. They are sweet enough to give an English version of the site:

Official Website Hertha BSC - HerthaBSC.de

Old 07-30-2014, 09:02 PM

As many of you may know quite a few clubs from Europe are tiring out players during pre-season right here in the USA. I'm personally excited about Real Madrid because Cris is now in LA! But this is the Team USA thread.

Bayern Munich will be coming to the US for their preseason, and they're a bringin' Julian Green with them.

Report: Bayern Munich confirms Julian Green on first team for US trip | ProSoccerTalk
Bayern Munich set to take on MLS All-Stars as part of summer tour | Mail Online

Bayern will be playing in New Jersey and Oregon. Schweinsteiger and the guy who scored the winning FWC goal for Germany (forget his name, he's dating some bikini model) are also in the team. Bayern Munich are currently the reigning Bundesliga champions. If I'm not mistaken, Ribery is also in the team. Hopefully he will keep his hands off our young teen girls while he is in the US. Bad bad Franck.

I think Muller is also in this team. You can read all about the schedule on the Bundesliga's English site:
Bayern embark on USA tour | FC Bayern München - Bundesliga - official website

Old 07-31-2014, 08:32 AM

9,268 posts, read 5,786,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Well, while I am huge MLS fan and a huge fan of the US national team, I hate to point out the obvious that friendlies dont matter to a majority of teams (though they do to US) like Germany. All they want is to come out uninjured. I wouldnt use victories over Belize, Club, Honduras and Azerbaijan to prove any kind of point either. Those teams are pretty much worthless.

The US is getting better and they will be a much more competitive team in the WC's to come as football grows in the US. But right now they're not really that competitive. Being second best in every game in the WC should show you that unless you are blinded by national pride. I am not saying that the achievement of getting out of that group isnt fantastic, it was. I picked the US to finish 4th or 3rd at highest. They battled well, but they werent competitive in a footballing sense.

There are some younger players and some MLS players that havent gotten a look in that will in the years to come that I am excited to see.
Yeah.. with the exception of Germany none of these teams are really noteworthy of beating. Friendlies ar enot a good scope to measure your team, as England have beaten Spain, Brazil, Italy etc in the past couple of years in friendlies

Old 08-14-2014, 05:36 PM

He's a Hot Tottie. *cough*

Team USA defender Deandre Yedlin will be moving across the pond to pay for English Premier League club Tottenham. I've read someplace that the club is in the top 6 in the league. This is a 4 year loan. I'm not so sure how those work, so maybe someone can clue me in.

BBC Sport - Tottenham: DeAndre Yedlin signs from Seattle Sounders

Here he is in the team's kit. He looks peaked.

Tottenham complete signing of DeAndre Yedlin on four-year deal... but USA defender will remain with Seattle until next season | Mail Online

As far as England goes, my heart belongs to Everton this season, but let's support DY in his new club! He's on tw@tter and a$$tagram as "Yedlinny." You can also support his new club by buying their stuff and attending their games:

Welcome to tottenhamhotspur.com

One AWESOME thing about Tottenham's kit is that it is manufactured by Under Armour. They are a US company based here in Maryland.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:28 PM

I have never liked Tottenham's kit.. anyway Tottenham look to be battling to reach 6th place this season.. since selling Bale they have not been nearly as good

Old 08-15-2014, 10:35 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,659,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
He's a Hot Tottie. *cough*

Team USA defender Deandre Yedlin will be moving across the pond to pay for English Premier League club Tottenham. I've read someplace that the club is in the top 6 in the league. This is a 4 year loan. I'm not so sure how those work, so maybe someone can clue me in.

BBC Sport - Tottenham: DeAndre Yedlin signs from Seattle Sounders

Here he is in the team's kit. He looks peaked.

Tottenham complete signing of DeAndre Yedlin on four-year deal... but USA defender will remain with Seattle until next season | Mail Online

As far as England goes, my heart belongs to Everton this season, but let's support DY in his new club! He's on tw@tter and a$$tagram as "Yedlinny." You can also support his new club by buying their stuff and attending their games:

Welcome to tottenhamhotspur.com

One AWESOME thing about Tottenham's kit is that it is manufactured by Under Armour. They are a US company based here in Maryland.
He was not loaned to Tottenham, he was sold to Tottehham and signed a 4 year contract. He was then loaned BACK to Seattle for the rest of this season and will join back up with Tottenham prior to the start of the 2015-16 season.

He will probably never see the field for Tottenham. I bet he'll be sold to a lower division English team prior to the start of the 2015 season. But, he is now the property of Tottenham.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:02 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,426,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
He will probably never see the field for Tottenham. I bet he'll be sold to a lower division English team prior to the start of the 2015 season. But, he is now the property of Tottenham.
I am betting he does see the field. If you are buying young players you need to showcase them before selling them for more money. It is the smart business decision. So, maybe he doesn't get a lot of playing time this year, but a little, then a bit more in years to come. As we close in on the next World Cup and Yedlin is a key to US qualification, they sell him back to the MLS for double what he was sold for to Tottenham.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:46 PM

He will probably get a chance.. will have to see how he does

Old 08-15-2014, 07:33 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,406,753 times
For 4 million they have to at least give him a runout you would think. I wouldve thought they would have taken him during the transfer window at Christmas. Seems odd to let him do the end of this MLS season and half the next season too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or