U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 01:08 AM

218 posts, read 221,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Have you never taken a good look at our money?
I have never taken a good look at your money no, but i know what it says. Its also not the only currency that has these tipes of phrases on them. I dont know what you were quoting it for though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 08:59 AM

546 posts, read 416,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lamb View Post
That happens to ALL the teams though.
Yes it does. And the team that succeeds in keeping their team in the best health has eliminated a problem that interferes with performance.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lamb View Post
I have never taken a good look at your money no, but i know what it says. Its also not the only currency that has these tipes of phrases on them. I dont know what you were quoting it for though.
Just a comment about the "God issue". without straying too far from the subject at hand. I'm a believer in God, and I don't mind when someone thanks God for giving them the ability to play, but when someone thinks that God may be "on their side", I have to roll my eyes. That smacks of "We're better than you are, because God's on our side; nah, nah, nah!"...How about we just thank God, and be on our way.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:19 AM

218 posts, read 221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpethim View Post
Just a comment about the "God issue". without straying too far from the subject at hand. I'm a believer in God, and I don't mind when someone thanks God for giving them the ability to play, but when someone thinks that God may be "on their side", I have to roll my eyes. That smacks of "We're better than you are, because God's on our side; nah, nah, nah!"...How about we just thank God, and be on our way.
I agree, which is why i reacted like that to Harriers post

Old 06-18-2014, 09:55 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,106,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpethim View Post
As I mentioned before, Ronaldo can be as much of a liability as he is an asset. Having a superstar, (even though he's nearing his end)
Guy's definitely not nearing his end; he's 29 and had a terrific season this year. That said he's never been anywhere near the same player with Portugal (except apparently in the play-in match vs Sweden, where he had 4 goals between the two games). I wouldn't be surprised to see Portugal lose all three group games; they have worse team cohesion than any team I've seen in this tournament except maybe Cameroon. Prior to the tournament I picked Germany and Ghana to emerge from the group and considered the US more than I did Portugal...my thinking of the team's strengths hasn't changed

Old 06-18-2014, 09:33 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,943,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Can someone please explain to me how the US won by playing like amateurs? I was all euphoric during the game and didn't care how they played as long as they won. There were obvious signs like Michael bradley playing like crap and that new kid that took over for Altidore playing like a high schooler! ...
Kinkytoes, what are your thoughts? I mean I would say England who lost to Italy played a much better game than the US who won.
This is just my opinion. We did not play like crap all the time...and we had an awesome goalie. Tim blocked a LOT of shots that could have been points. We also had a lot of crowd support and the FIFA refs did not hate us for a change. We had chances to score and took advantage. Unlike Ghana when they had their chances. Just like life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Guy's definitely not nearing his end; he's 29 and had a terrific season this year...
Yep Cris DID have a great season this year. But it looks like his knee really is bad. He had said he was fit and ready to play before but he was icing it in practice recently. It looks like he's in pain. But who knows?

The USA team is currently in Sao Paulo, and I'm guessing they'll be flying to Manaus soon for the game with Portugal. I'll check on the weather and the stadium before the game. Here is my continuation of songs for the team.

Brad Guzan - His new wife might like to sing him this song.

Donna Fargo - The Happiest Girl In the Whole USA - YouTube

Tim Howard - Hit Me with Your Best Shot seems to fit Tim's performance on the field.

Hit Me With Your Best Shot - YouTube

Nick Rimando - Nick just turned 35!

The Beatles Birthday - YouTube

Timmy Chandler - Timmy kind of looks like young Frankenstein to me.

Extreme "It's A Monster" Donnington 94 VHS to YouTube HD - YouTube

Fabian Johnson - It seems Fab may have the biggest...um nose..on the team. This song is a bit adult.

LA DELFI FT AMARA LA NEGRA - LA BANANA OFICIAL VIDEO BY JC RESTITUYO - YouTube

Kyle Beckerman - I'm sure Kyle loves this song. It is one of my fave Toots and the Maytals songs. Old School Jamaican Ska.

Toots and the Maytals - Pressure drop - YouTube

Old 06-19-2014, 08:40 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,702,624 times
Quote:
Against Portugal, mindset will be important
Sure will and I'll be curious how JK's focus on fitness and speed etc in the squad will be tested. As we know on a soccer field when the body goes the mind and effort goes with it!...;-)...Man ,we have to think the US has a great chance there.
We'll see if Portugal, as noted by some pundits, is a 'one-man team.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:02 AM

6,473 posts, read 13,943,434 times
I'm a woman. So I'll take a couple of minutes to complain. My least favorite thing about the USMT's playing this year is the media coverage and the information on twitter. It seems weird to me that the team and staff are giving interviews while the tournament is going on. Am I over-reacting?

I'm kind of surprised that they're not cut off from all media interaction and just concentrating on the games. There is a recent shot of Coach Juergen trying to smile for some paps. Leave him alone! Leave the team alone and stop taking pictures! Let them concentrate on the game. I'd love it if the people who want endorsements and interviews would wait until after the tournament is over.

But having written that, Kinkytoes is fervently checking tw_tter, a$$tagram and the like for news of the team. The most recent news is that the ussoccer site has posted that Jozy is NOT going to play in the Portugal game! Fox Sports and ESPN FC have tw_tted the same news, so it appears to be true.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. He needs time to get better and we also need him more against Germany than Portugal, it seems. At least based on the news of CR7's injury and the other problems on the Portugal side. If I'm not mistaken, Germany is more fit. But who is going to play forward with Clint against Portugal?

Some fans seem to think Johannsson was not great on Monday. He didn't stand out to me, but honestly I wasn't paying much attention to him. I'd love to see Wondo play. He has been the top US scorer in our league and I'm pretty sure he is fit. But I'm worried. Wondo is the most prolific scorer in the USA's league...MLS. But I've never personally seen him play. So let us see together what kind of player he is:

I'm liking this vid from 2010. His accuracy does seem good.

Chris Wondolowski and the Golden Boot - YouTube

The unattractive and unshaven host p!ssed me off by dissing Jozy, but there is some information about Wondo's statistics and some footage of his playing:

Make way for Wondo | Brazil Bound - YouTube

The next video has some of Deandre Yedlin's playing. This is my first time watching a big amount of US soccer from the MLS...and WOW we seem to be LOT more physical than the European teams. No wonder some of our guys are so tough! But the refs need to do something if this type of play is typical. There's no padding in soccer. The players also look more stocky than the Afro and Euro players.

Chris Wondolowski, Referee take exception to "flopping" | Instant Replay - YouTube

This video has highlights of some of Wondo's more recent goals. He has a cute little jump thing he does when he kicks the ball. He seems to have found a sweet spot in his technique that has made him more effective. It looks like he may be able to do it with both feet.

Chris Wondolowski-Goals Highlights - YouTube

Old 06-19-2014, 06:09 PM

I also think that Wondo should get the go. He's very good in the box, with his head, on shots near the end line, and he's scored well in international matches. He also seems to have a second sense as to where the keeper is, and he sneaks a lot of balls by, just out of the keeper's reach. The biggest thing about him is his nationality. The USA has always struggled in big international play, and we have quite a few players that spend a lot of time playing for European and other teams. How about we give an American, that plays American, a chance to show that we know how to play? I think Wondo would do well against Portugal, and he's got the savvy and grit to go against Germany. Who knows, if he got in a decent amount of playing time, he may just find his niche, slip into a groove, and win us some games. It's worth the chance! If we beat Portugal, we're going to advance. In the next round, we'll play either Belgium, Russia, or Korea. If Wondo turns out to be a golden footed Wonder, we could find ourselves in the Quarter's or even the Semi's. That would be Wondoful!

Old 06-19-2014, 06:52 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,702,624 times
'It's worth the chance'

Considering JK's man-management skills, Wondo should be ready if he gets the call. Look at Zusi his confidence sure got a boost from coming on. Brooks well .....he probably feels he can can hit a quarter from 300 yds away now...;-)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or