U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 08:46 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,953,866 times

Advertisements

Of course it is ultimately up to Coach Juergen to put in the player he thinks will help us win. But I'd like to see how Wondo does, as well. I'd also agree about the American player bias. Based on the bit I've seen, we do have our own style. I'll trust the staff to know what will give us the biggest edge.

I'm going to continue with my mini-project of music for the team on the run-up to Sunday. Then I'll do some research on Johannsson. He's also an option for forward, and we saw a bit of his playing. I'm still not sure of how he plays, so now may be a good time to take a look.

For Clint Dempsey - Love this song. There is h@te against the 99% and some very offensive language, violence and s@xy girls. So be warned. We gon knock Portugal out like Fight Night.

Migos - Fight Night (Official Music Video) - YouTube

For Damarcus Beasley - Since he plays in Mexico, I picked a song by my favorite Mexican Artist: La Trevi~no. Like she says in the prelude to the song...la comida es mas rica cuando tienes hambre. The meal is more delicious when you are hungry. Warning, there is semi-nudity.

Gloria Trevi Todos me miran viña 2013 - YouTube

For Matt Besler - I've got to learn more about him. I'll admit that I didn't even notice that he had been taken out at half-time during the game. Matt may have to make himself stand out more. One of my favorite songs by 4-Minute. What's Your Name? There is very mild semi-nudity in this video.

4MINUTE - '

For Geoff Cameron - Horror music for Dracula. This is the best version I've seen of the Mephisto Waltz. The pianist looks possessed.

Tiffany **** plays Liszt Mephisto Waltz No.1, S.514 - YouTube

For John Brooks - I'm sure the Goalie from Ghana is seeing JB in his dreams. At 6'4", John is a very big baby. Love Sean Paul's voice.

Beyoncé featuring Sean Paul - Baby Boy ft. Sean Paul - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 09:19 PM

248 posts, read 258,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpethim View Post
I also think that Wondo should get the go. He's very good in the box, with his head, on shots near the end line, and he's scored well in international matches. He also seems to have a second sense as to where the keeper is, and he sneaks a lot of balls by, just out of the keeper's reach. The biggest thing about him is his nationality. The USA has always struggled in big international play, and we have quite a few players that spend a lot of time playing for European and other teams. How about we give an American, that plays American, a chance to show that we know how to play? I think Wondo would do well against Portugal, and he's got the savvy and grit to go against Germany. Who knows, if he got in a decent amount of playing time, he may just find his niche, slip into a groove, and win us some games. It's worth the chance! If we beat Portugal, we're going to advance. In the next round, we'll play either Belgium, Russia, or Korea. If Wondo turns out to be a golden footed Wonder, we could find ourselves in the Quarter's or even the Semi's. That would be Wondoful!
I say Wondo as well. But to be honest I have no idea if he'll be superb and get on the score sheet or if he'll be completely ineffectual against the higher competition.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:40 AM

There is an interview in which Geoff Drakul Cameron talks about his hobbies. He likes cooking and cleaning! OMG. According to him he is also a really good cook. It also looks like Geoff may have a girlfriend, but he's still unmarried. Now I can lust after him guilt-free. Until you put a ring on Geoff...you belong to the nation.

And how many times does KT have to tell You?...full body shot.

Here's Geoff and Jermaine <3 <3 <3 singing some song and doing a dance:
Video :: “Maria Maria” cover – Eddie Johnson x Geoff Cameron x Jermaine Jones x Stu Holden #MustSee | TheOriginalWinger

Ha ha haa. Kind of cute. It is a possible candidate for removal by Google. Anyway Geoff's favorite chef is Emeril Lagasse. He even calls himself the next Emeril BAM! Sooo...I'll give him a new song.

For Geoff Cameron - Bam Bam Bam by Dynamic Duo. Nomu yipposo (you pretty thang), you are always in my heart.

Dynamic Duo - Baaam MV [English subs + Romanization + Hangul] HD - YouTube

As promised, I'm going to dive more deeply into baby herring's style of play. He is one of the candidates for the forward who will replace Jozy against Portugal. Baby Herring is today's nickname for Aron Johannsson.

Vid of Aron's 2012 Goals:

[vimeo]55435038[/vimeo]
Aron Johannsson (AGF) - Goals in 2012 on Vimeo

Moves and goals.

Aron Johannsson Goals and Skills: Stoke, Arsenal or Celtic? - YouTube

Because of ESPN's evil death grip on footage, it was not easy to find a lot of footage of AJ from Monday's game. But he's number 9. Maybe you can catch some of his moves in this FIFA highlight reel:

2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil? - Videos - Match Highlights - FIFA.com

Based on what I've seen so far, Aron is physically stronger than I had previously thought. He's capable of being aggressive and keeping big guys off the ball.

Aron - 6' 180 lbs
Wondo - 6'1" 180 lbs
per ussoccerplayers.com

So even though Aron is baby-faced IMO he seems to be a bit stocker than Wondo. And even though Wondo seems stocky to me, he's a bit taller and thinner than Aron. This is according to the stats above.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:05 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,705,518 times
ReAron and Wondo..

When they get called they know the occasion. I'm sure they will try to step up.
Hehe I hope we can get descriptions of our new US 'won-dr boys!'...breakout performances would be great.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:34 AM

546 posts, read 416,664 times
Thanks for the clips Kinky! As usual, we see that the players in a tournament like the World Cup are ALL exceptional athletes, and we tend to forget that when the stage is so big. The one thing that I like about Johannsen is his ability to be in the right spot on the opposite side of the goal from the ball. I've noticed numerous occasions in these Cup games, where the ball has crossed the goal and there has not been anyone in the right position to clean-up and knock a missed goal in from the back side.

We also get to see how strong Germany is today when the match up with Ghana. It will give us a certain look at our strengths and weaknesses.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:58 AM

For this post, I'll entertain myself with two more songs and then discuss the conditions in Manaus. It seems scary.

But I'll start out on a light note. I'm a fan of CR7. He's fit, cute and sweet. But he is Portugese. It is hard for me and maybe a lot of his fans to see him hurt and to see his team doing badly. But he does not care about me and I'm 100% for the US team, whom I also love. So this song is for you Cris:

QUARTERFLASH - Harden My Heart (1982) - YouTube

For Alejandro Bedoya
. Since his family is from Colombia I'd planned to do a Shakira song...but the new song ick. Since Shakira is a Lebanese...Here is Nancy Ajram. Come Over Here. I'm asking Alejandro to give his whole heart to the US team. He already has my heart...but he is crushing it a little by talking about Columbian fans. Alejandro don't forget that you belong to us and we love you, so matigi hena wana hebak (come over here and let us love you).
http://lyricstranslate.com/en/ma-teg...come-here.html

Nancy Ajram - Ma Tegi Hena - Official Video Clip

Buzz about Manaus

I'd love to be able to joke about this, but the fact is that Manaus sounds dangerous and hot. Coach Juergen and at least one other coach said they would be OK playing anywhere EXCEPT Manaus. Manaus is hot. It is in a remote city surrounded by rainforest off the banks of the Rio Negro.

The city was founded in 1669 and used to contain a fort. Tribes that live or lived here include the Yanomami, Kobewa and Ticuna. From my cultural anthroplogy class, I seem to recall that the Yanomami had some sort of psychedelic drugs that have the side effect of projectile vomiting.

Manaus - Brasil

After the game in Manaus, One Italian player has been quoted as saying "At times it felt like having hallucinations due to the heat." The English coach said "Quite a few of our players cramped up. It obviously has to do with hydration." It has to be above 90 degrees Fahrenheit before FIFA will let you have breaks during the halves. The players union has been quoted as saying that 90 degrees is too high.

3 more World Cup games to come in steamy Manaus - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Let us see what it will be like in Manaus for the game tomorrow:
Temp: 89 degrees...will feel like 99% (thanks to accuweather.com)
Rain? There may be showers and an occasional strong thunder storm.
Humidity: 66%

Copa 2014 - Pronóstico del tiempo para Manaus/AM - CPTEC/INPE

Air quality readings are not available, but with wind at below 10 MPH... Let us all pray for some rain. A bit of intermittent rain will be good for everyone as long as they're safe on the pitch. Of course, that is another concern. There are many reports of the pitch at Manaus not being the best.

New footage reveals shocking state of Manaus pitch for England's World Cup clash against Italy | Mail Online

So before I melt into sobs...I'll show some pictures of the stadium.

Arena Amazonia

Like I'd mentioned before, we have many young players. According to some, their bodies can deal with the conditions in Manaus better than older players. But of course, I'd imagine physical conditioning is also important. We are going to have to beat both the other team and the conditions in Manaus tomorrow. It is going to be very scary and exciting to watch. Praying for all our guys. Lots of love. Please kill Portugal.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:51 PM

21,323 posts, read 21,895,576 times
I would like to see the US team incorporate some kind of dippsy-doodle against Portugal. In my play (Desig: "Diag. 37"), notice USA Half-striker #3 executes the dippsy as soon as he gets the ball from the "X-man" on the feed over, and then doodles over to #1 on the break-out.

Hey Klinsmann!!!

Old 06-21-2014, 01:31 PM

4,277 posts, read 5,169,608 times
90 degrees is too hot? Seriously? Statements like that won't make anyone take this sport more seriously. Yes, 90 degrees plus humidity can get up there, but people play in weather like that all the time. What are they going to do if the tournament is actually held in Qatar and it's 110?

Old 06-21-2014, 02:53 PM

21,323 posts, read 21,895,576 times
Ghana Germany tie wouldn't seem to hurt the US, no?

Old 06-21-2014, 02:55 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,543,036 times
Tie!!! USA just has to beat Portugal and they go on through. It's working out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or