U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 03:21 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,534,996 times

Advertisements

I can only imagine what Ghana is like today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 05:03 PM

7,148 posts, read 7,964,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The US team winning a World Cup would definitely help unite American fans across all sports. Aside from the Olympic games, there isn't really a sport that has all Americans feeling united to support. The truth is that American sports culture is very regional which makes it very hard to have a "collective" mentality when it comes to national teams representing the entire United States. When it comes to the most popular sports in the US, it doesn't help that sports fans are largely divided between Football, Hockey, Basketball ,and Baseball. I wish the United States could be like Brazil in the way that country has very strong national pride and passion for there national soccer team despite being a country with lots of regional cultures and differences. I do think the World Cup is the best way to unite Americans to rally behind one team on the world stage.
if the usa ever got serious about soccer , they would probably win every other world cup

look what happens at the olympic games , its always either the usa or china who are on top of the medals table , china will never be a soccer superpower as they are at a height disadvantage

as for what would happen re_ the world cup in my country , soccer is only the third biggest sport here but seeing as we are such ( fickle ) event junkies , work would cease early for people to watch the matches and their would be much drinking and general merriment

Old 06-16-2014, 05:12 PM

7,148 posts, read 7,964,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
It would lift the profile of the sport a lot more in Australia, just qualifying for the world cup seems to have achieved that to some degree. I am sure their would be lots of celebrating if Australia did any good, however I doubt celebrations would be anything like what they would be in Europe or South America if their team won.

Soccer is perhaps competing with Rugby Union for the title of Australia's fourth biggest team sport these days.
people in this part of the world are often surprised to hear that rugby union is only as big as soccer in australia , when you consider how good australia are at rugby union , this is pretty astonishing , ive relatives in south australia and victoria and they have no interest in any form of rugby , their aussie rules fans but they like soccer too quite a bit

Old 06-16-2014, 06:58 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,087,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
if the usa ever got serious about soccer , they would probably win every other world cup

look what happens at the olympic games , its always either the usa or china who are on top of the medals table , china will never be a soccer superpower as they are at a height disadvantage
I'll have you know that the UK is the best at cycling, New Zealand the best at rugby etc. etc, etc so it isn't only China and the States. China loves football but are still terrible. The USA loves mens Tennis and cycling but don't make an impact. The UK per capita has performed the best out of any of the top nations at the olympics - that is a fact.

2012 medal table

1. USA (population 318,195,000) Gold 46
2. China (population 1.351 billion) Gold 38
3. UK (population 63.23 million) Gold 29

2008 medal table

1. China Gold 51
2. United States Gold 36
3. Russia (population 143.5 million) Gold 23
4. UK Gold 19

Last edited by paull805; 06-16-2014 at 07:07 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 07:41 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,140,411 times
If the USA won I don't think the the whole country would go crazy. American soccer fans would most definitely go crazy, though. Some countries shut down when their national team plays in the first stages of the World Cup. Imagine the semi-finals and the final? The USA would never- ever get to that level.

-Cheers.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:03 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,534,996 times
Sad but true. If the US won the Cup it would almost be a waste as the whole nation wouldn't come together and celebrate. It would be more like as if the local team won an event but on a national scale; people out in the streets waving flags, some honks and then some partying in bars. Nothing spectacular like if Brazil were to win.

Speaking of which I wonder how Brazil would react

Old 06-16-2014, 08:03 PM

14,790 posts, read 14,039,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
It would lift the profile of the sport a lot more in Australia, just qualifying for the world cup seems to have achieved that to some degree. I am sure their would be lots of celebrating if Australia did any good, however I doubt celebrations would be anything like what they would be in Europe or South America if their team won.

Soccer is perhaps competing with Rugby Union for the title of Australia's fourth biggest team sport these days.
2006 it got fairly big.... I also think there is more support for soccer than rugby union here - especially in the Aussie rules dominated states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I'll have you know that the UK is the best at cycling, New Zealand the best at rugby etc. etc, etc so it isn't only China and the States. China loves football but are still terrible. The USA loves mens Tennis and cycling but don't make an impact. The UK per capita has performed the best out of any of the top nations at the olympics - that is a fact.
Cycling is also becoming very popular here. With our own tour, Cadel winning Le Tour, Orica performing well at the Giro.... Australia could become very strong in cycling.

According to this www.CyclingRanking.com :: Countr Overall Ranking 1869 - 2014

Australia 9th
Great Britain 10th

Old 06-16-2014, 08:17 PM

Yeah tell that to our Olympians who won nearly every gold in Cycling or the past two winners of the Tour de France who were British.

London Olympics 2012: British track cycling team are best in the world - Paralympic News - Olympics - London Evening Standard

BBC Sport - Bradley Wiggins wins 2012 Tour de France

BBC Sport - Tour de France: Chris Froome wins 100th edition of race

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19172975

Old 06-16-2014, 08:27 PM

14,790 posts, read 14,039,420 times

Tbh, I think of Italy as a cycling nation. The rankings reflect that.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:56 PM

Lol, when you are trying to actually convince yourself even though the gold medals and titles say otherwise - I can't help but laugh.

British records
Flying 500 m time trial 24.758 Chris Hoy
4000m team pursuit 3:51.659 Ed Clancy Steven Burke Peter Kennaugh Geraint Thomas
Hour record 56.375 km Chris
4000m team pursuit 4:16.552 Katie Archibald Elinor Barker Dani King Joanna Rowsell4

Beijing Olympics

Womens Road race gold UK

Track Cycling medal table

Rank Nation Gold Silver Bronze Total
1 Great Britain 8 4 2 14
2 France (FRA)2 3 1 6
3 Spain (ESP) 2 1 1 4
4 United States1 1 3 5
5 Switzerland 1 1 2 4

12 Australia 0 1 0 1

2012 Olympics

Men's time trial gold Bradley Wiggins

Medal table for Cycling

Rank Nation Gold Silver Bronze Total
1 Great Britain8 2 2 12
2 Germany 1 4 1 6
3 France 1 3 0 4
4 Australia 1 2 3 6

Plus previous 2 winners of Toure de France, THE PINNACLE of cyling, were British
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or