U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 12:49 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,577,095 times

Advertisements

I want links to the Italian press about this loss! What's their reaction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 01:30 PM

2,009 posts, read 2,153,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I want links to the Italian press about this loss! What's their reaction?
Who knows? I don't really care... I have never liked Italy. The cheating, the acting, the corruption... I always root for the team facing off against them.

As a matter of fact, just today I pleged to buy a team jersey of every team that defeats Italy from here on in.

I'm sure their fans are disappointed, but counting on them beating Uruguay. Here's to hoping Uruguay wins on Tuesday, June 24, 2014!

Old 06-20-2014, 01:54 PM

21,442 posts, read 22,000,772 times
one possible benefit to the US winning the WC that many people are not considering, a championship will instantly make all of us soccer experts and our added voices and insight to the world wide futbol community will be warmly received and appreciated by all the nations of the planet. so we got that going for us, which is nice...

Old 06-24-2014, 01:50 PM

How big is the Euro Cup in Europe? Is it big enough to make the trip across the pond to France from the US? My fav euro teams are France and England. It would be cool to root for them.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:30 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,295,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
one possible benefit to the US winning the WC that many people are not considering, a championship will instantly make all of us soccer experts and our added voices and insight to the world wide futbol community will be warmly received and appreciated by all the nations of the planet. so we got that going for us, which is nice...
This has me doing the breathy laugh (have to laugh, but I'm at work).

Old 06-24-2014, 02:35 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,119,532 times
Quote:
How big is the Euro Cup in Europe? Is it big enough to make the trip across the pond to France from the US? My fav euro teams are France and England. It would be cool to root for them.
It is huge in Europe, the frenzy is nearly on par with the world cup.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:03 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,403,583 times
Quote:
It is almost as big as the World Cup. I actually don't really notice a difference between the Euro and the WC in terms of excitement among the public. And the Euros can have absolutely brutal group stages (which will change now that the tournament is expanded to 24 teams). We were in a group with Germany, Portugal and Denmark last time.

Of course, being able to call yourself "world champion" carries more prestige than "European champion" but it is still considered a huge accomplishment.

The Euro 2008 is still one of the best tournaments I have ever watched (keep in mind that I'm in my early 20s ). Here's a recap:

Just watching it brings back so many memories. So much drama and excitement back then!

Last edited by LindavG; 06-24-2014 at 03:16 PM..

Old 06-24-2014, 03:50 PM

Nice! I'm glad I don't have to wait another 4 years for a good tournament!

What are the other tournaments to look forward too? What about champions league?

I'm new to all this and am hooked. I've been eating up soccer this whole time. Please list the best tournaments to follow that being just as much excitement as the WC.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:09 PM

350 posts, read 590,010 times
I'm from the Caribbean. My island qualified in 2006 for the World Cup (smallest country to ever qualify)and all work ceased on the day that we qualified. Businesses shut down, schools were dismissed and people all took to the streets to celebrate. The Prime Minister came on tv that night and declared the next day an impromptu national holiday.
The team didn't end up getting out of the knock out round or even scoring a single goal for that matter lol, but just qualifiying was such a huge deal to us.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:14 PM

Wow! That's amazing. This is a big deal to countries. How did the USA miss this this whole time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or