U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 05:28 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,568,666 times

Advertisements

Besides the US because the Olympics and almost every major pro sport is already way too US-biased.

But I'm not really FROM anywhere. I once looked up on the web that my family name came to Pennsylvania from Scotland by some patriarch that came here in the 1700's. But none of my living relatives have ever verified that and we never heard talk of 'the old country' in our home growing up. Besides Scotland's not in it anyways and they're natural rivals of England. So Netherlands is the next closest choice I guess but I'm a far cry from Dutch... so who the heck do I root for??? Not the US. Anyone but the US, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 05:33 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,652,362 times
It depends on which American you ask as to who they support as far as Olympics, sports and such.

Personally I don't watch any sports but my Husband does and he has favorite teams however, he also acknowledges other teams that do their best and win the game or have a better standing than his favorite team.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:36 PM

21,553 posts, read 22,147,016 times
Germany, always have

Old 06-19-2014, 09:16 PM

248 posts, read 261,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Besides the US because the Olympics and almost every major pro sport is already way too US-biased.

But I'm not really FROM anywhere. I once looked up on the web that my family name came to Pennsylvania from Scotland by some patriarch that came here in the 1700's. But none of my living relatives have ever verified that and we never heard talk of 'the old country' in our home growing up. Besides Scotland's not in it anyways and they're natural rivals of England. So Netherlands is the next closest choice I guess but I'm a far cry from Dutch... so who the heck do I root for??? Not the US. Anyone but the US, please.
You're an American and you won't root for your own country because you want to root for a country where some distant relative from the 18th century came from?

Old 06-19-2014, 09:18 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,037,529 times
Hmm one Russian guy I work with is rooting for the US this year, but I and most of the X-americans I know usually root for the home team, or the closest in the region. For me if my favorite team gets knocked out, I'd root for whichever team is geographically or culturally closest..or Portugal. LOL because I'm a fan of Cristiano Ronaldo.

And franky, the guys on the old US team were not very exciting. There was one guy with a lump in his head or something and the guy who got cut from the team. They both got a lot of hype, but they didn't impress me as players and they did not have star power. I'll admit the cute or sexy factor is big for me. That's basically the main reason I watch regular soccer games: eye candy.

Soccer players have the body type that I like. And it is really fun to watch them play. This year it is almost like Juergen read my mind when he picked the team. They seem to have interesting personalities, interesting histories or are very s_xy. Or all three. To me that is a winning combo. Go USA. Ugh Ghengis...I can't believe you're rooting for Germany.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:54 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,626,966 times
I'm rooting for these teams in order; USA, Chile, England, and Mexico.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:56 PM
JJG

13,256 posts, read 19,295,848 times
If the U.S. is out, then I don't root for anyone.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:59 PM

248 posts, read 261,101 times
There is a special place in hell for Americans that root for other countries in the World Cup instead of their own.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:20 AM

21,553 posts, read 22,147,016 times
[quote=kinkytoes;35311373...Ugh Ghengis...I can't believe you're rooting for Germany.[/quote]

if, and when, the US is knocked out of course

Old 06-20-2014, 05:53 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,670,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
if, and when, the US is knocked out of course
World Cup I root for US and England. If/when they fall out, I normally root for Italy or Netherlands (but I'll root for any team that has a Manchester United player on it)

Olympics - US all the way. If it's an event that US sucks in, I'll pull for Italy or a scandanavian country like Norway or Finland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or