U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-22-2014, 08:28 PM
 
Location: São Paulo, Brasil
85 posts, read 98,158 times
Reputation: 97

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I doubt Germany would do that.

I have a relative in Germany. They were furious their game against Ghana was a draw. They even closed some subway stations because they were afraid of riots

One of German players Miroslav Klose is one goal away from breaking a world record. He is not gonna go for that either.

Miroslav Klose equals Brazilian Ronaldo's World Cup goalscoring record | Mail Online
You never heard of "The Shame Game"...

In the World Cup of 82, West Germany and Austria would both advance to the play-offs if the match between them ended up with the precise result of 1 x 0 to West Germany, in the way that Algeria would be put out by the criteria of the goal difference.

Germany began furious, pressioning until their goal came out at minute 10. After the "real goal" was achieved, both teams limited into kicking the ball from goalkeeper to goalkeeper... A real shame... That match was even more arranged than that Argentina x Peru in 78... What Germany did was ridiculous.

So, they have a filthy record in World Cups... What keep them from not doing it again?

In my opinion, the american team would never agree to this, in fact I believe those guys will be a little nervous of what some might say of them and it's possible they lose the game because of that.

But Germany don't give a damn to fair-play, of that I'm sure. Where is Beckenbauer right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-22-2014, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Currently living in Reddit
5,655 posts, read 5,744,468 times
Reputation: 7285
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
That's true but the US would hold the tie-breaker since they won their earlier match against Ghana.
If Ghana beats Portugal by one goal and the US loses by more than one goal, Ghana is in.

If Ghana beats Portugal by more than one goal and the US loses by only one, Ghana is in.

Apparently, in the case of a tie, head to head matters less than goals scored and goal differential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2014, 08:43 PM
 
Location: São Paulo, Brasil
85 posts, read 98,158 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
But I'm still worried about a potential loss! This group is too close. What if Ghana step up and beat Portugal? They almost beat Germany! Surely they can beat Portugal! That's four points right there.
That's what I think will happen. Ghana beating Portugal and Germany beating USA. Unfortunately, since all four teams in this group showed good football and willing to win, they could go far in the play-offs, unlike the teams in groups H and C, that came here to travel, not play football. I watched Belgium and Russia today at lunch and the game gave me an indigestion...

The only team that earn the elimination is Portugal, because what Pepe did is bestial, they deserve to go home just for let an idiot like that coming to the World Cup. And today another portuguese player did a similar thing, but the referee didn't see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2014, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,490 posts, read 10,552,205 times
Reputation: 5402
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
If Ghana beats Portugal by one goal and the US loses by more than one goal, Ghana is in.

If Ghana beats Portugal by more than one goal and the US loses by only one, Ghana is in.

Apparently, in the case of a tie, head to head matters less than goals scored and goal differential.
According to the soccer power index odds, the US has a 76% chance of advancing to the next round. Ghana has a 19% chance and Portugal has a 5% chance to advance.

How the U.S. can qualify for the last 16 - ESPN FC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2014, 11:03 AM
 
5,362 posts, read 2,751,391 times
Reputation: 3620
Well, since tying in soccer is always a distinct possibilty in the group stages then it would not be suspicious unless they make it abundantly clear that they are not going to challenge each other on the attack, especially in the first half. If the score is tied late in the game each team might lay back at that point, which teams sometimes do anyways. It will be interesting to see how aggressive each side is though. Go USA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2014, 11:07 AM
 
52,491 posts, read 42,204,330 times
Reputation: 32743
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Rago View Post
You never heard of "The Shame Game"...

In the World Cup of 82, West Germany and Austria would both advance to the play-offs if the match between them ended up with the precise result of 1 x 0 to West Germany, in the way that Algeria would be put out by the criteria of the goal difference.

Germany began furious, pressioning until their goal came out at minute 10. After the "real goal" was achieved, both teams limited into kicking the ball from goalkeeper to goalkeeper... A real shame... That match was even more arranged than that Argentina x Peru in 78... What Germany did was ridiculous.

So, they have a filthy record in World Cups... What keep them from not doing it again?

In my opinion, the american team would never agree to this, in fact I believe those guys will be a little nervous of what some might say of them and it's possible they lose the game because of that.

But Germany don't give a damn to fair-play, of that I'm sure. Where is Beckenbauer right now?
World cup is dirty....just like the olympics....enjoy the games in Dubai.

Getting upset about it is like getting upset over doping in bodybuilding or cycling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2014, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,160,146 times
Reputation: 4094
Drawing with Portugal and beating the Germans are two very different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2014, 12:56 PM
 
4,456 posts, read 3,736,470 times
Reputation: 3109
Quote:
It will be interesting to see how aggressive each side is though. Go USA!

I'd suggest that under Klinsmann it's expected that the team will go out to do what needs to be done based on how the game goes. So if the opportunity present itself through simple game management they will play for the draw or play to get the winning goal. The game will lead the way.

But really there comes a time in game when you have to get out from 'under the tent' and climb Everest and think you can do it..if you want to win. Going to be interesting to see how that develops in the game.

Thought for the day: Armies in tents don't win battles!...;-)...I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2014, 10:51 PM
 
248 posts, read 261,218 times
Reputation: 182
I think we can beat by Germany 2-0 but Ghana and Portugal draw 1-1 and we get through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2014, 11:12 PM
 
Location: SLC, UT
1,571 posts, read 2,307,510 times
Reputation: 3848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarti View Post
I think we can beat by Germany 2-0 but Ghana and Portugal draw 1-1 and we get through.
If Portugal and Ghana draw with any amount of goals, then Germany could beat us by 20 goals and we'd still get through.

If Portugal wins by 1 to 0, or 2 to 1, then we could lose to Germany 0 to 3 and still get in. If Portugal wins 3 to 2, then we could lose by 2 and still get in.

If Portugal loses by 1, and we lose and our scores match Portugal and Ghana (0 to 1, 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc.) then we get through.

If we draw with Germany or win, we get through.

I need to stop thinking about this. We still have another day to go! Here's the website I'm using - someone else posted it in the USA team thread: World Cup » Table calculator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top