U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 03:54 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,899,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Polling shows that soccer is equal to popularity among Americans under 20 with football and basketball and more popular than baseball or hockey

The main step needed is for the national sports media to actually cover the MLS, which it refuses to do The league has done a great job adding teams where soccer is popular
First of all, I put little stock in these polls that are conducted. I am not saying soccer is not popular, but they should not be used to make a statement.

Second, if the MLS drew the ratings and generated enough attention, the major media outlets would give the league more attention. There's a reason why the Premiere League receives better media coverage in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 03:57 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,585,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
That is in Chicago
That pic looks like it could be from a soccer loving nation such as Spain or Germany! The game sure has improved!

Old 06-25-2014, 04:07 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,585,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
First of all, I put little stock in these polls that are conducted. I am not saying soccer is not popular, but they should not be used to make a statement.

Second, if the MLS drew the ratings and generated enough attention, the major media outlets would give the league more attention. There's a reason why the Premiere League receives better media coverage in this country.
When it comes to entertainment I'm of the idea that if you promote the heck out of it, it will generate enough revenue. I don't just think its as simple as giving the people what they want or if there was a demand for it they'd promote MLS more. Companies have to really want to push it but in the US soccer is still seen as a niche market to executives. That may change after this cup. The old guard may just give in and say fine, we'll give them soccer.

Personally, I think that soccer's growth in other nations stems from more than just a purely entertainment medium. Its politics and life in some countries. Sports in the US are a largely middle class market, meaning its probably the most sanitized spectacle in our society. Its hot dogs, family outings, and Tim 'John 3:16' Tebow.

Soccer in other countries though is organic. The ultras, the devotion, the rivalries and the class barriers between clubs for example how Real Madrid represents the upper class while Barca is for the working class. Same with Paris St. Germaine and Olympic Du Marseille.

When I see the MLS I see the sanitized copies of European teams without all the history behind them. That's where I still think the league is lacking and probably why Euro soccer is still more popular even among soccer fans in the states. But I still want to support MLS and hope it grows into something just as if not more exciting.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:24 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,377,967 times
wait until you see soccer players in espn commercial. then you know your league has grown.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:33 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,672,679 times
Losing to Germany means we didn't get so lucky this time. The Germans didn't get defeated by the Russians first. How is Japan's team?

Old 06-26-2014, 09:25 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,121,274 times
US losing off a Marouane Fellaini header in the 118th minute to Belgium 1-0 on Tuesday may or may not help the soccer-promoting cause in this country...I'll lean towards "may not"

Old 06-26-2014, 10:29 PM
JJG

13,250 posts, read 19,238,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
wait until you see soccer players in espn commercial. then you know your league has grown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8d2Be79Ho8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHebuF8tNEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27iQdCffxFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFyoOT_7LQY

Old 06-27-2014, 06:35 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,720,838 times
Quote:
US losing off a Marouane Fellaini header in the 118th minute to Belgium 1-0
on Tuesday may or may not help the soccer-promoting cause in this country...I'll
lean towards "may not"
You know of course it would definitely stop the celebration! I know that we're trying to hit two targets there at the Cup...winning games and developing experience for the future. So far we've defied expectations a bit. Sometimes i think judgments of teams have an aura that rely on some past remembrance of what they were like. Maybe the US has this aura.Fact is we are a different setup now that US soccer has brought in an individual who brings a new focus in. If we lose in the knockout stage well it's to be used as a stepping stone to getting top notch respect in world football.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:47 AM

12,545 posts, read 18,502,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
lets be honest in that most us fans are just jumping on the bandwagon similar to Olympics. they don't care for the sport just for the sake of the US is in it.

no it will not change how soccer is seen in the US
jumping on the bandwagon or not, that's how sports gain popularity. the USMNT is becoming more popular, that's just a fact. More people are watching the qualifiers (which now all sell out and command nice premiums on stubhub). The only country with more fans attending matches in Brazil than the United States? Brazil - the hosts. Enough Americans are interested to the point of spending a few thousand dollars on flying to brazil, getting a hotel, and buying match day tickets. That's a pretty promising sign. Oh, and it's also the most popular World Cup in the United States. Not just the US games, but other games as well. So - even if it's only jumping on the bandwagon, that wagon is gonna have to get bigger for 2018. That's good news for US Soccer, and just soccer overall.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:49 AM

12,545 posts, read 18,502,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post

To answer the question, I don't think it will. I think we played well against Portugal and it was really just dumb mistakes that did us in, with Portugal capitalizing. If we were trashed and lost by 4 goals, that would have been much more disheartening. A lot of people watched that match and realized that a game that features lower scoring can be fun to watch. Also, soccer (MLS) is gradually getting more popular in the US regardless of World Cup results.
Truth. I think the MLS may enjoy a small bump in short-term popularity this summer, due to some leftover "soccer fever" - you know, dad's taking their son and daughter to a game if they have a local team, stuff like that. But those fans will dwindle, and some percentage will be gained permanently. But MLS is gradually gaining fans, you're right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer