U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 09:41 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,536,732 times

Advertisements

All of the hype and anticipation around the US team has gotten outta control. I'm hoping that us not making it out of the group of death might deter soccer's growth in the US. Its popularity soared last cup because the US advanced but this year its 50-50. We played so well that I hope an upcoming loss might not dissuade people to think that we suck DVD therefore should just stick to our own sports.

Your thoughts? Would a loss strengthen or deter US soccer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 10:42 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,021,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I'm hoping that us not making it out of the group of death might deter soccer's growth in the US.

Also, you think it is 50/50 that we won't make it out of the group? I thought I saw someone say it's a 76% chance. Why are you even posting this thread days before the matches are played? Ask this if we actually don't advance...

Old 06-22-2014, 11:25 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,536,732 times
I guess I'm just being too cautious. I think we actually do have a chance to advance.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:56 AM

7,550 posts, read 16,385,177 times
No.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:17 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,368,140 times
lets be honest in that most us fans are just jumping on the bandwagon similar to Olympics. they don't care for the sport just for the sake of the US is in it.

no it will not change how soccer is seen in the US

Old 06-23-2014, 08:33 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,703,267 times
Well in my opinion say I believe Jurgen K is doing his best to get the US program going and competing at a high level with the best in the world. This is a long look business and with the way the US has played it shows promise for the future. Would be an achievement to go to the next round. I hope we succeed and raise our profile in the sport.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:05 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,021,501 times
Quote:
I guess I'm just being too cautious. I think we actually do have a chance to advance.

To answer the question, I don't think it will. I think we played well against Portugal and it was really just dumb mistakes that did us in, with Portugal capitalizing. If we were trashed and lost by 4 goals, that would have been much more disheartening. A lot of people watched that match and realized that a game that features lower scoring can be fun to watch. Also, soccer (MLS) is gradually getting more popular in the US regardless of World Cup results.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:45 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,173,700 times
The growth of this sport in this country doesn't depend on how well the national team does.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:19 PM

420 posts, read 363,479 times
Quote:
All of the hype and anticipation around the US team has gotten outta control. I'm hoping that us not making it out of the group of death might deter soccer's growth in the US. Its popularity soared last cup because the US advanced but this year its 50-50. We played so well that I hope an upcoming loss might not dissuade people to think that we suck DVD therefore should just stick to our own sports.

Your thoughts? Would a loss strengthen or deter US soccer
I'm not sure of the direct impact, as the USA can advance even with a loss, depending on the scorelines of the two group games on Thursday.

If Portugal and Ghana draw, then USA would advance even if it went USA 0 - 8 Germany (or whatever).

Even with a winner between Portugal/Ghana, there are chances for USA to advance with a loss (as long as neither match is a blowout) -- especially if Portugal were to win.

For example:

USA 0 - 1 Germany, Portugal 3 - 0 Ghana; USA advances over Portugal on goal difference
USA 2 - 3 Germany, Portugal 0 - 1 Ghana; USA advances over Ghana on goals scored
USA 2 - 3 Germany, Portugal 1 - 2 Ghana; USA advances over Ghana on head-to-head

Any such loss would be quickly forgotten if USA were to win in the Round of 16.

However, to address the spirit of your question, I'm not sure which would be worse for USA going forward:

1) Some 1-goal loss to Germany that results in elimination by GD because Ghana won by 2
2) Something like USA 0 - 1 Germany, Portugal 1 - 2 Ghana where USA loses out on goals scored
3) Getting blown out by Germany, and not saved by the result of the other game
4) USA 2 - 4 Germany, Portugal 4 - 1 Ghana; USA and Portugal draw lots (let's say USA loses this)

I'd wager that losing a tiebreaker to Ghana, a team that the USA beat, would have the biggest short-term impact due to perceived "unfairness" in the system. I don't think that it's much to worry about in the long-term, though...soccer did just fine in the US after 2006...

Old 06-24-2014, 06:02 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,140,928 times
A loss to Germany alone would not have a negative affect for American soccer or the USMNT. OVERALL, as a nation, in all levels, soccer is improving. More kids are participating in soccer than ever before and our very own MLS is improving. Development of good soccer players here is improving quickly, too. Also, many newbie soccer fans are watching the World Cup and getting into it. These newbies will now want to go to an MLS game or encourage their children to try playing in a youth league. It's ALL good.

-Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer