U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2014, 03:54 PM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,881,732 times
Reputation: 2779

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
If heirs or heiresses of dead Malcolm Glazer or John Henry himself brought an EPL franchise to NYC, it would be far more "successful" than an NFL franchise in London would ever be

and the expansion franchise NY FC might significantly help the MLS, if the David Villa signing is any indication...best player to ever play in the league and best in this country since Pele IMO (apologies to Henry and Stoichkov and Nesta, but he's less out of his prime than those guys were/are)
I'd say Henry in his prime with Arsenal was above(not by too much) Villa in his prime with Valencia.

NYFC is going to make the Redbulls even more irrelevant than they already are in the NY/NJ sports scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2014, 06:39 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,247 posts, read 19,185,053 times
Reputation: 7005
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
How come soccer seems to be the only sport in the US with such biases, preconceived notions and double standards?
....seriously?

Soccer is the ONLY sport in this country with biases and preconceived notions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 07:13 PM
 
10,097 posts, read 7,544,951 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
....seriously?

Soccer is the ONLY sport in this country with biases and preconceived notions?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,411 posts, read 26,242,811 times
Reputation: 16496
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Yes.
I don't even watch Basketball, but come on.. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 08:25 PM
 
10,097 posts, read 7,544,951 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I don't even watch Basketball, but come on.. lol
I meant that soccer is unfairly maligned like no other sport in the country. There are too many double standards. Its popularity is probably on par with hockey yet the latter is treated as a staple of American sports along with the big three. The big hockey game of the 2010 Olympics drew 27 million viewers yet hockey didn't blow up in the States, but no one made a case to malign its fans for being optimistic about the sport. There are no strange jingoistic and borderline racist rants about hockey being a foreign plot to kill American culture. There are no tired hat jokes about it being sissy. People go through such lengths to tell the world that they hate soccer with such pride too.

The World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the world yet I never knew about it until maybe France 98 when I was in junior high. It wasn't until Korea 02 that I figured out that this thing was bigger than the Olympics yet you'd never know that because the US media constantly says the Olympics is the biggest event. What's even funnier is when they brag that the Super Bowl is watch by a billion people! LOL. Hardly ever a mention of Diego Armando Maradona even though he's regarded as the top athlete by millions around the world. The level of neglect of the sport when I was growing up was North Korea-ish. It wasn't a conspiracy plot, it was just that businesses had no interest to promote a largely unprofitable sport in comparison to American football and baseball.

So yes, the sport is very maligned in the States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 08:53 PM
 
9,383 posts, read 9,546,239 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I meant that soccer is unfairly maligned like no other sport in the country. There are too many double standards. Its popularity is probably on par with hockey yet the latter is treated as a staple of American sports along with the big three. The big hockey game of the 2010 Olympics drew 27 million viewers yet hockey didn't blow up in the States, but no one made a case to malign its fans for being optimistic about the sport. There are no strange jingoistic and borderline racist rants about hockey being a foreign plot to kill American culture. There are no tired hat jokes about it being sissy. People go through such lengths to tell the world that they hate soccer with such pride too.

The World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the world yet I never knew about it until maybe France 98 when I was in junior high. It wasn't until Korea 02 that I figured out that this thing was bigger than the Olympics yet you'd never know that because the US media constantly says the Olympics is the biggest event. What's even funnier is when they brag that the Super Bowl is watch by a billion people! LOL. Hardly ever a mention of Diego Armando Maradona even though he's regarded as the top athlete by millions around the world. The level of neglect of the sport when I was growing up was North Korea-ish. It wasn't a conspiracy plot, it was just that businesses had no interest to promote a largely unprofitable sport in comparison to American football and baseball.

So yes, the sport is very maligned in the States.
. 1) the Summer Olympics has more athletes and viewers
2) football (American) has the concussion scare monte ring deterring parents from letting their kids play the game (actually helping soccer)
3) 27 million during the Olympics is when it's split between like 4 different finals in winter sports and those get viewers because of their Olympic novelty that hockey, Basketball, Soccer and other large spectator sports do not have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 09:15 PM
 
10,097 posts, read 7,544,951 times
Reputation: 5225
Those reasons do what for your argument exactly? The WC is the most watched sporting event in the world. The notion that it's not is only a debate in the US.

So more parents choosing soccer for their kids is what's really behind all the soccer love? Apparently if only they'd play football in their youth (like I did) then soccer's numbers would dwindle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 09:35 PM
 
9,383 posts, read 9,546,239 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Those reasons do what for your argument exactly? The WC is the most watched sporting event in the world. The notion that it's not is only a debate in the US.

So more parents choosing soccer for their kids is what's really behind all the soccer love? Apparently if only they'd play football in their youth (like I did) then soccer's numbers would dwindle?
yes, if you play a sport you are more likely to watch it, for example before I did track I knew only Isain Bolt now I can rattle off many Runners because I was immersed in the culture for years, but I do not claim every Olympics when 10 mil + people watch track for a week it will become the next staple sport in American culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 09:51 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,247 posts, read 19,185,053 times
Reputation: 7005
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Yes.

*sigh*
The typical stereotypes and unfair labels of sports in America:

Football = Highly dangerous, played by dumb, misogynistic Neanderthals who are guaranteed to have concussions by the age of 40.
Basketball = Ignorant thugs and selfish divas who put themselves above the team.
Baseball = 'roided up whites and Latinos playing a boring game favored by old people.
Hockey = Toothless, ultra violent Canadians playing a game that's exclusive only to people with lighter pigment...

I can go on. It doesn't just stop at the Big Four.

EVERY sport has it's detractors, so stop acting like poor little soccer is treated the most unfairly here. Hell, pro wrestling has it FAR worse than anyone in the unfair stereotype department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 09:54 PM
 
10,097 posts, read 7,544,951 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
yes, if you play a sport you are more likely to watch it, for example before I did track I knew only Isain Bolt now I can rattle off many Runners because I was immersed in the culture for years, but I do not claim every Olympics when 10 mil + people watch track for a week it will become the next staple sport in American culture.
It was growing even before the WC even started. Do you not see how you anti soccer types are deluded? It's popularity is not trailing track and field, its comparable to hockey at the closest, and growing.

Just give it up. This isn't just a bandwagon, Miracle on ice type of thing. Its a growing trend that will just keep escalating. It's not a staple of American sports yet and still has a long way to go but my point was that its unfairly maligned in the media (or was). Hockey is respected and nothing as vicious as it bring a foreign invader has been said about it. That was my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top