U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2014, 10:07 AM
 
10,097 posts, read 7,574,906 times
Reputation: 5225

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy the Plasterer View Post
Sorry, mate, you're the one spreading disinformation here.

It doesn't matter what the national Assocs are called. That's not what people, i.e the man on the street, call it.
For example, in Ireland, Football = Gaelic, Soccer = Soccer.
Here, take a look at the sports section of the the Irish National Broadcaster, RTE, and Ireland's three biggest daily newspapers....
RTÉ Sport: Irish and International Sport News, Fixtures and Results
Sport - Independent.ie
Sports News | Latest Sports Results & Fixtures | The Irish Times
Sport | Irish Examiner

What do you see there? Yeah, that's right mate, they all call it Soccer.

The name Soccer is an ENGLISH word, invented by ENGLISH people, and used throughout the ENGLISH speaking world. There is nothing silly about the name.
Give it up. Soccer is used no doubt but the majority if Irish call it football. I don't know why you think some snippets from the IT will change that? I googled the same thing and am surprised to see that you simply cut and pasted the first things googled. That's just lazy.

Soccer is not the official word used. Its football. Same in Australia and NZ.

Some might still use the word but it would be as if the US suddenly stopped calling it that and used the term football. Some would still use the term but the official name is football.

Other countries have a different word but it usually translates into something intelligible like kickball, fuss ball, foot, etc. Soccer is a silly word no matter who invented it.

This isn't to say that it matters what the US calls it just that you're wrong about this fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2014, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,552 posts, read 16,416,577 times
Reputation: 5092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy the Plasterer View Post
Yes really mate. You have obviously shown your anti-GAA bias in early post, hence you have marked yourself as one of those self-loathing Dubs that hate the "GAH" and go out of their way to use British terminology like 'football'.

I have already demonstrated that every major media outlet, TV and print, uses the term soccer. This reflects the fact that that is the preferred term by the general populace. I know that bothers a certain self-hating minority of the Irish population, but most Irish people are comfortable in their Irishness and have no problem embracing Hurling and Gaelic Football and the Association variety of football, the latter which they refer to as soccer so as not to confuse it with the former.
Not really, the GAA are bigots. I sense a lot of anger in your post, you must be one of those folks with small town syndrome and are jealous of us from the big smoke.

Every media outlet ? Are you sure about that ?

Foot.ie

Postcard from Brazil - Let the football begin - Extratime.ie - League of Ireland !

Ive gone to two sites to prove you wrong.

Don't be mad bro. Maybe one day you can live in a place with electricity 24/7 lol And thats a joke before you get your knickers in a knot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 02:51 PM
 
476 posts, read 469,065 times
Reputation: 390
FOOT BALL

The sport of the world, enjoyed by billions of fans, the sport has always been called football since its origins in the UK.

The English formed a Football association (The website for the English Football Association, The FA Cup and the England football team). All European countries formed their own footballl associations. The same way the basketball association was formed in the USA (NBA). The name of the sport has always been football.

NFL is not even a sport, it is a TV show, the NFL is not even in the Olympic games.

People who watch the NFL just watch commercials and replays. There are close to 13 minutes of action in an NFL TV show after you remove the bizillion commercials and replays.

NFL does not even use a ball, a ball is a sphere, that thing being thrown is a Vesica Piscis.

Rugby, Canadian, and Australian use an egged ball, that is still round. So it qualifies as a ball.

On the other hand, NFL uses a Vesica Piscis.

+6 Billion people call the sport of the world "Football".

If you want to get a brain injury, join the NFL.

If you want to get an attractive body (the perfect natural male body), play real football. Just compare the bodies of the Football World Cup players and the bodies of the NFL (Oversized).

Last edited by MiamiResident; 07-01-2014 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 06:51 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,249 posts, read 19,225,435 times
Reputation: 7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
FOOT BALL

The sport of the world, enjoyed by billions of fans, the sport has always been called football since its origins in the UK.

The English formed a Football association (The website for the English Football Association, The FA Cup and the England football team). All European countries formed their own footballl associations. The same way the basketball association was formed in the USA (NBA). The name of the sport has always been football.

NFL is not even a sport, it is a TV show, the NFL is not even in the Olympic games.

People who watch the NFL just watch commercials and replays. There are close to 13 minutes of action in an NFL TV show after you remove the bizillion commercials and replays.

NFL does not even use a ball, a ball is a sphere, that thing being thrown is a Vesica Piscis.

Rugby, Canadian, and Australian use an egged ball, that is still round. So it qualifies as a ball.

On the other hand, NFL uses a Vesica Piscis.

+6 Billion people call the sport of the world "Football".

If you want to get a brain injury, join the NFL.

If you want to get an attractive body (the perfect natural male body), play real football. Just compare the bodies of the Football World Cup players and the bodies of the NFL (Oversized).
^^^ All of this goes hand in hand with the title of the thread.

A lot of people refer to it as SOCCER. Either get over it or get off this board because quite frankly, it's getting annoying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Aurora, Colorado
5,445 posts, read 8,181,492 times
Reputation: 4498
It's the same as when people get mad when we call ourselves Americans or the US America. I don't get the point of getting worked up about these things. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 07:27 PM
 
554 posts, read 690,576 times
Reputation: 627
Seriously. Who cares how American call football ?
The only issue is in international conversations. In international English, soccer is called football. And football is called American Football. Period.

In France nobody use the term football in live conversations, we all say foot.. We like cutting words, like McDo for McDonald. Nobody is telling us to stop calling football foot, so why annoying American with this ?
Here it's an American forum, so we are expected to understand the word soccer. But in an international forum, it would be expected that everyone use the word football to name soccer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles County, CA
29,124 posts, read 22,097,113 times
Reputation: 6128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
Here it's an American forum, so we are expected to understand the word soccer. But in an international forum, it would be expected that everyone use the word football to name soccer.
That is how Harrier sees it.

We have our version of football in the U.S., and it isn't going to have its name changed, so in the meantime we have to call the sport being contested at the WC something to differentiate, and so we call it soccer.

If Harrier was in Paris, he would use the accepted term there, and the same in any other nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Baker City, Oregon
3,723 posts, read 5,872,560 times
Reputation: 5936
Here is a Cliffs Notes history of the word SOCCER:

In England, in the beginning, there was a game where people kicked a ball and didn't use their hands. It was called football, and all was good.

In the 19th century, in Rugby, England, while playing football somebody picked up the ball and ran with it and said "by jove, this is cool." Some decided that this was better, and a new form of football was invented.

Since there were now two sports called football in England, in order to avoid confusion, one became known as rugby football, and the original, because it was regulated by the football association, started to be called association football.

Nobody knows exactly who started it, maybe pub goers, or maybe prep school boys, or maybe both, but because “association football” was a cumbersome name, people in England started to call it “socca” and eventually “soccer”, from the “soc” in asSOCiation. (Look up soccer the the unabridged Oxford English Dictionary which will verify this.)

The original football was played in the United States, and because of our country's close association with England, we adopted the English name soccer for the sport.

In the meantime, a second sport was invented in the United States, based on rugby football, and we decided to call it football. There was no conflict, because the original football was now called soccer.

Eventually in England, probably because rugby football became known as simply “rugby,” it was now possible to call association football by its original name, simply “football.”

The United States couldn't follow England and do the same thing, because we had our popular new sport with the established name “football,” we had to continue to call it soccer.

The thing to remember is, when people complain that we use the word soccer, tell them it's England's fault, because it is. They started it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 08:42 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,249 posts, read 19,225,435 times
Reputation: 7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

The thing to remember is, when people complain that we use the word soccer, tell them it's England's fault, because it is. They started it.
But don't let facts stop other people's America bashing. That's not fun for them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 09:57 PM
 
99 posts, read 119,334 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Give it up. Soccer is used no doubt but the majority if Irish call it football. I don't know why you think some snippets from the IT will change that? I googled the same thing and am surprised to see that you simply cut and pasted the first things googled. That's just lazy.
Bullsh!t. As an Irish man I am here to tell you the Irish call it soccer. You, as non Irish person, would know jack ***** about that. In Ireland Football =
this stuff.
Stick to what you know about, which is probably sweet fvck all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top