U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 03:16 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,701,220 times

Advertisements

Only people that ever tell me "Soccer.... sorry, I meant to say football" are people that clearly don't like soccer.

Soccer.... Football .... Kickball .... Roundball .... Who gives a s...
I think is a BS debate created by the anti-soccer American media.
Nobody gives a c... what people call it
For one thing, in Brazil is called "Futebol" (pronounced foo-chee-bowl)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 12:28 PM

626 posts, read 575,577 times
I have met many people who hate Americans for calling football, soccer. But these are the type of people who just generally dislike America and Americans, if it isn't Americans calling it soccer, it's something else. Most people(at least here in Britain), grow to not care anymore, I assure you

Old 06-26-2014, 04:32 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,391,208 times
I don't mind Americans having a different word for the sport, it's just a shame that it's such an ugly word. "Soccer" has to be one of the ugliest words in the English language. When people say it, it almost sounds like they're mocking the sport. But that's probably just my bias as a non-native English speaker.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:59 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,419,619 times
Volleyball, Basketball, Baseball...shouldn't it be Goalball, Fieldball, or something indicating what we do with the ball? American Football should be Tackleball.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:18 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,142,355 times
IMO the correct word should be "football" instead of soccer since "football" is the word used all over the world. I use the word "soccer" so as not to confuse the person I'm speaking to. Since American football unofficially "owns" the name "football" in the USA by virtue of naming it that way long before "soccer" was known here in the US, soccer will never be called "football" here by Americans. It would take the NFL, the college level, youth levels, sporting goods companies, etc. to rename the sport but we all know that will never happen. Perhaps one day if "soccer" got really, really big and the fans started calling it "football" and drowned out the term "soccer" then maybe "football" would be adopted. It would take decades though.

-Cheers.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:44 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,179,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I don't mind Americans having a different word for the sport, it's just a shame that it's such an ugly word. "Soccer" has to be one of the ugliest words in the English language. When people say it, it almost sounds like they're mocking the sport. But that's probably just my bias as a non-native English speaker.
But it wasn't Americans who even created the word.

(See, THIS is what I'm talking about)

Old 06-26-2014, 06:10 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,541,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
But it wasn't Americans who even created the word.

(See, THIS is what I'm talking about)
Who cares if Americans didn't create the name? The name sucks. Soccer sounds like a straight up kids game. That's the real reason why foreigners mock us. I mean I don't care either way but I'm just explaining to you why that is.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:24 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,235,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Who cares if Americans didn't create the name? The name sucks. Soccer sounds like a straight up kids game. That's the real reason why foreigners mock us. I mean I don't care either way but I'm just explaining to you why that is.
The reason they mock us is an inferiority complex. They look for anything they can to rip on Americans.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:43 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,179,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Who cares if Americans didn't create the name? The name sucks. Soccer sounds like a straight up kids game. That's the real reason why foreigners mock us.
... it's a sport.... a GAME.

And "soccer" actually predates the use of "football", so I really don't get why people get that red in the face about it.

Quote:
I mean I don't care either way but I'm just explaining to you why that is.
Could have fooled the hell out of me...

Old 06-26-2014, 08:07 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,541,168 times
No one gets red faced about it, ok. Stop exaggerating. At best it's just silly mocking over the rather cutesy name for the sport in the US. How would you like it if Brits started calling football 'hand egg' in jest because they refused to call a game where you don't use your feet, football. The funny thing is that they DO call it hand egg for giggles. Do you care? I doubt it? Why? Perhaps you proly have a superiority complex about not caring what silly foreigners think of our greatest sport.

So, don't chalk up the mocking of the word soccer to an "inferiority complex". You sound like a jingoistic dolt. It's simply that foreigners care little for 'hand egg' because they're ignorant of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or