Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 11:39 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times

Advertisements

Nice post. I would like a link to tour theory about the Wikipedia article though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 12:00 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
The name of the sport is football, people use their feet to kick/pass a ball (a sphere).

Association football is not its name, the English created a football association the same way the US nationals created the basketball association (NBA), the names of the sports are football and basketball.

US nationals created a fake article in wikipedia stating that football was called association football and placed the words in opposite order to come up with a fake theory about the origin of the name soccer... blah blah... only in wikipedia, a website owned by us nationals.

The name of the sport has always been football.
Actually, Harrier has seen the term Association football used long before Wikipedia ever existed.

The origins of the name Association football are in the UK.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Nice post. I would like a link to tour theory about the Wikipedia article though
Don't bother waiting, he has none that is unbiased.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
NFL football is not football
Sure it is football.

Quote:
...deep down even the most NFL fanatic knows that football is not the accurate name for a sport where huge guys throw a Vesica piscis (not a ball
Not all the players are huge and they most certainly do throw a ball and are in excellent shape.

Quote:

, and use their hands

They use their hands and their feet.

Even is soccer, the goalkeeper uses his hands and feet, and if you are Diego Maradona you can score using a little bit of your own hand and a little bit of the hand of God.

Quote:
and then collide to inflict damage.
The purpose of blocking and tackling is to stop the offense and prevent the defense from interfering with the offense.

It is the same reason why soccer players often collide, and it is ridiculous that doing so often earns a player a yellow card.

Quote:
The average human cannot even play NFL football
LOL!

True, but then again the average human cannot play soccer in the Premiere League, Bundesliga, Serie A, or La Liga.

"Average" Americans play any one of the variations of American football everyday - on school fields, vacant lots, backyards, and even on the street.

Quote:
The average game if you cut commercials and REPLAYS, lasts 13 minutes (the action).
Wrong - a regulation NFL game is precisely one hour in length.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:21 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
The name of the sport is football, people use their feet to kick/pass a ball (a sphere).

Association football is not its name, the English created a football association the same way the US nationals created the basketball association (NBA), the names of the sports are football and basketball.

US nationals created a fake article in wikipedia stating that football was called association football and placed the words in opposite order to come up with a fake theory about the origin of the name soccer... blah blah... only in wikipedia, a website owned by us nationals.

The name of the sport has always been football.

Classic Football History of FIFA - FIFA.com

NFL football is not football, deep down even the most NFL fanatic knows that football is not the accurate name for a sport where huge guys throw a Vesica piscis (not a ball) and use their hands, and then collide to inflict damage.

The average human cannot even play NFL football, the average game if you cut commercials and REPLAYS, lasts 13 minutes (the action). NFL football is more like a TV show, the NFL shows a bizillion commercials and they make so much money and people are forced to watch it (brainwashed) because they were raised watching TV and commercials and listen to hidden messages that true "Americans" watch NFL Football. A whole legion of people watching a tv show they cannot even play unless they want to get injured.

Football, true football is the sport of the world.

And what is sad is that the usa could have the best team in the world but the nfl owners and his buddies (owners of tv stations) make people believe that true football is "unamerican".

Why "Football" is called "Soccer" in the U.S.???
LOL... any excuse to bash the NFL, eh?

But SOCCER is the victim... soccer is always the victim, right?

Old 06-29-2014, 01:07 AM

Harrier is the under the impression his post is relevant. Most sources I've read puts the action in football at 11-15 mins.

Football Games Have 11 Minutes of Action - WSJ

Look you guys can post until the next WC all you want, it ain't gonna change the reality on the ground. Football soccer is the most popular sport in the world, people love it and would prefer it over 'hand egg'. It's no offense to the sport at all. I like college football and an a UT Longhorns fan but I'm not deluded enough to think that American football is superior or have this faux balanced view that it's too each his own. One sport does impact the world more and it ain't the latter buddy, sorry. I respect the athleticism and strategy of American football, I really do. But if I were to be really blunt about it, no one outside of the US cares about it. And no amount of huff and puff American chauvinism is going to make your argument to the contrary sound cooler. You guys may take pride in going against the grain but in the eyes of the world it just makes ya look foolish.

But then again, you don't care, right? F, the world, eh? You'll take liberty! LOL

Old 06-29-2014, 01:15 AM

Quote:
So, during the two hours and 56 minutes the game took to complete, throughout the 60 minutes of regulation time, the ball was in only in play for 12 minutes and 8 seconds.The rest of the time, players were standing around, plays were being reviewed and I was being bombarded by a multitude of beer commercials and truck advertisements.
Quote:
My methodology was simple: The stopwatch counted whenever the ball was in play — runs, passes, and kicks. As soon as a play was over, the stopwatch was halted. I settled in and soon discovered there’s far less than 60 regulation minutes of play during a typical three hour game.
How Much Action Is There Really In An NFL Football Game? | GeekDad | Wired.com

As said before, American spectator sports, are largely sanitized corporate events first, athletic competitions second.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Look you guys can post until the next WC all you want, it ain't gonna change the reality on the ground. Football soccer is the most popular sport in the world, people love it and would prefer it over 'hand egg'.
When you call American football "handegg" you lose all credibility.

Look - the United States calls the game being played in the World Cup soccer, and England calls it football.

That is fine.

Other nations have their own names for it, as another poster mentioned.

So why all this hatred for Americans calling the game what we know it by?

Old 06-29-2014, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
When you call American football "handegg" you lose all credibility.

Look - the United States calls the game being played in the World Cup soccer, and England calls it football.

That is fine.

Other nations have their own names for it, as another poster mentioned.

So why all this hatred for Americans calling the game what we know it by?
No, I didn't lose credibility. That's just your way of blowing off what I wrote. Hand egg is the derogatory name for American football in the UK. I find it pretty creative and funny that they thought of that. It doesn't make me hate football just that I can take a joke. I've taken to calling it that in jest as well.

And the name of the sport doesn't matter. The people here were exaggerating the hatred they perceive foreigners emit because we call it soccer. They don't care and mostly just mock us for calling it such a sissy name, that's all. Hand egg is in their weird way, payback.

The main point of contention has been that the game is getting a bit more popular in the US than previous years and many in here dropping a load thinking that we were all out of line by saying so.

Last edited by radiolibre99; 06-29-2014 at 01:41 AM..

Old 06-29-2014, 01:54 AM

Quote:
No, I didn't lose credibility. That's just your way of blowing off what I wrote. Hand egg is the derogatory name for American football in the UK.
So you admit that you are using a derogatory name, and in the same breath claim that you retain credibility?

LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer