U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 05:01 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,609,830 times

Advertisements

I tried both American football and soccer in my junior high and high school days. American football was clearly the easier sport to master. The coach told me stand here, do this and that. I learned how to be pretty good in a few training sessions. I mostly joined because it was the more popular sport on campus and it got you the most girls.

I tried soccer and fell in love with it mostly because it was such a challenge and a bytch to master. It took me several years of playing youth club and street ball to be proficient. I still read technique books and love how the sport keeps evolving, getting quicker and faster each time.

I'm not trying to say that football is some easy sport any numbskull can pick up, but its clear that athletic people can probably master football well before soccer. Soccer just takes to much time and training to be really really good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 06:29 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,960,028 times
There is one LARGE difference between soccer and gridiron.

In soccer, the "coach" is often called a 'trainer'. He trains the squad during practices and then sits on the sidelines during the match and watches the players play. Players have to be creative and try different moves in order to get a teammate open for a shot on goal.

In gridiron, the coach walks the sidelines with a headset on. He calls plays in during each stoppage (every "play") and basically tells the players what they are going to do. There is very little creativity in that, and it is mostly one coach competing against another coach. I wonder why they just can't let the players decide how best to play. American sports is like that, coaches walking up and down the sidelines, yelling.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:58 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,825,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post

In soccer, the "coach" is often called a 'trainer'. He trains the squad during practices and then sits on the sidelines during the match and watches the players play. Players have to be creative and try different moves in order to get a teammate open for a shot on goal.

In gridiron, the coach walks the sidelines with a headset on. He calls plays in during each stoppage (every "play") and basically tells the players what they are going to do. There is very little creativity in that, and it is mostly one coach competing against another coach. I wonder why they just can't let the players decide how best to play. American sports is like that, coaches walking up and down the sidelines, yelling.
I find it works better when coaches sit down and don't constantly shout

Old 08-02-2014, 06:36 AM

750 posts, read 924,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post

This was exactly my conclusion after some time trying to understand and follow American football. It seems to me it's a competition between coaches more than anything else. Soccer is most definitively not.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:43 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,825,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
This was exactly my conclusion after some time trying to understand and follow American football. It seems to me it's a competition between coaches more than anything else. Soccer is most definitively not.
I agree.. in football although many managers are sacked, I don't believe that they hold as much importance as they in in America

Old 08-03-2014, 12:58 PM

In American football coaches are revered as geniuses and they really are to a great degree. The skill to conduct plays to advance your team does take a significant level of high intelligence.

I applaud American football for its strategy and tactics. But outside of that it's not this incredibly creative and mind blowing game quite like soccer.

A champions league final is ten times the game of a Super Bowl, there's just no comparison. Athletes like Messi and Ronaldo are just on another level of athleticism than gridiron athletes. Soccer stars have to be part track stars, have excellent ball handling abilities, creative capacities and have to think quick on their feet. The only sport that can compare to this level of physicality is basketball.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:01 PM

24,257 posts, read 18,960,807 times
What makes soccer more interesting IMO is that the manager/trainer/coach has very few opportunities to give orders to the players. So it's up to the individual how much you're able to maintain the game plan and focus throughout the all 90 minutes. It also gives more iniative to the individual player to exploit mistakes or lapses on the field to his and his team's advantage. In American football the orchestra is choreogaphed carefully by the coach for the whole game, and an individual has to mostly only carry out the orders given at a certain point.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:12 PM

But soccer is still more of a team sport than on the individual.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:15 PM

24,257 posts, read 18,960,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
But soccer is still more of a team sport than on the individual.
Of course, but I think the pressure on the individual is still higher. And if the weakest link brokes down, the whole team can.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:53 PM

750 posts, read 924,305 times
That 7x1 in the WC was a classic example of what we are talking about here. In soccer, it is up to the players keep their balance, focus and strategy during the game. There was that odd moment of panic in the players and the coach could do nothing. I wonder how helpless he felt during the stampede.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer