U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 04:17 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,770,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
That 7x1 in the WC was a classic example of what we are talking about here. In soccer, it is up to the players keep their balance, focus and strategy during the game. There was that odd moment of panic in the players and the coach could do nothing. I wonder how helpless he felt during the stampede.
Also, I believe in America teams are taught to not 'take advantage' and keep trying to score and humiliate the opponent, is that correct? Most teams are ruthless and merciless in football
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 04:26 PM

750 posts, read 920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Also, I believe in America teams are taught to not 'take advantage' and keep trying to score and humiliate the opponent, is that correct? Most teams are ruthless and merciless in football
Let me say just this. I'm Brazilian and I am not sure we would slow down and have mercy in that situation. Probably not.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Let me say just this. I'm Brazilian and I am not sure we would slow down and have mercy in that situation. Probably not.
I think that is right.. how it should be anyway

Old 08-03-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I think that is right.. how it should be anyway
I should say it's not something particular to Brazil soccer though. I think most teams would do the same if given a chance. Rivalry and humiliation are part of high quality competitive sports and it's not every day you have a chance to humiliate a traditional rival. Germany is not much of a traditional rival of Brazil though. I would say, in Europe, France, Italy and the Netherlands are our major rivals based on history. In fact, a lot of fans in Brazil are glad this humiliation came against Germany.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:11 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,539,902 times
In my opinion showboating or humiliating an opponent is frowned upon.

We don't have athletes that do amazing stunts and go all on their own without the ok from the coach. Basketball stars wouldn't go all Harlem globetrotter on the court or football players wouldn't celebrate a much needed touchdown quite like a soccer player would.

Americans would just think athlete is too arrogant. I couldn't imagine the equivalent of a Ronaldo or a X other player who showboats skills on the field and then proceeds to look like a gladiator ala Thierry Henry in American sports.

I know it would def be frowned upon in baseball

Old 08-04-2014, 07:10 AM

I thought that might be the case.. in Europe it is perfectly acceptable to humiliate an opponent.. and that seems fair. If you played a good match, you deserve to humiliate the opponent as a memory of the performance IMO

Old 08-04-2014, 07:59 AM

It all depends how we define "humiliation". Taking advantage of loss of control of the opponent and score a lot of goals is definitively an "acceptable" and expected humiliation in South America soccer. The higher the rivalry, the more the stimulus to humiliate.

But, sometimes, it goes too far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9bCUFYXqbM

These are 2 of the most traditional clubs in Brazil playing for the championship in just a regional cup. To see what triggered the fight shown in the beginning of this short movie, you have to wait until second 45.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:27 AM

358 posts, read 359,870 times
Quote:
Running up the score does happen in America, and is definitely considered bad sportsmanship at the school-age level in most sports.

However, at the professional level it's a little different. The last Super Bowl was a 43-8 blowout. Pro teams of all sports have incredibly talented athletes. Anything can happen so teams have to take advantage of a big lead to prevent a comeback.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
Pro teams of all sports have incredibly talented athletes. Anything can happen so teams have to take advantage of a big lead to prevent a comeback.
I totally see a comeback in American footbal considering the game can be stopped and the coach can communicate well with the players during the game.

In a soccer match between two strong teams, a comeback after a 3 or more goal advantage is nearly impossible.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:59 AM

358 posts, read 359,870 times
Quote:
I totally see a comeback in American footbal considering the game can be stopped and the coach can communicate well with the players during the game.

In a soccer match between two strong teams, a comeback after a 3 or more goal advantage is nearly impossible.
Very good point. But you never know, a red card or an injury could change a match's momentum.

Check out these big soccer comebacks. The videos are fun to watch...
What are the greatest football comebacks, where one team came back from a 3 goal difference (or more than 3 goals) and was able to draw or win within the same match (not over the course of home and away matches)? : soccer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer