U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 07:51 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,177,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Exactly, a contact sport, not much else.
If that's the case, then soccer is nothing more than guys kicking a ball up and down the field.

I get it, you don't like football. That doesn't mean that what you personally say about it is factual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 08:02 AM

750 posts, read 920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
If that's the case, then soccer is nothing more than guys kicking a ball up and down the field.

I get it, you don't like football. That doesn't mean that what you personally say about it is factual.
This is a soccer fan thread. I must assume since you are here that you like soccer too, but I have to admit, you are sounding more like the OP.

No, I don't like American football and I feel like if there is any place here, where soccer fans should point out why the level of talent and skills required in brutally-driven American football is nowhere compared to soccer, this is it!

Last edited by Indyking; 08-06-2014 at 08:22 AM..

Old 08-06-2014, 08:50 AM
JJG

Quote:
I must assume since you are here that you like soccer too, but I have to admit, you are sounding more like the OP.

No, I don't like American football and I feel like if there is any place here, where soccer fans should point out why the level of talent and skills required in brutally-driven American football is nowhere compared to soccer, this is it!
I'm sounding more like the OP? Why? Because I'm not saying that American football is a slow, boring, un-athletic non-sport? I'm not knocking soccer in any way. Hell, I even asked why you people are even taking the words of ANN COULTER (a professional troll) seriously when she never has any merit to anything she says.

I simply pointed out that football is more than just coaches calling plays and the players on the field executing them every 5 minutes. Yet, some of you acted like the skills and athleticism (or that there's a lack of) required for football pale in comparison to soccer, as if that's some kind of competition. They're two different sport. Just like any other, there are skills and athleticism to each respective game. They're all different, but how do you judge which DIFFERENT form is better?

I'm against people generalizing and demeaning soccer, but wont have sympathy for the fans if the do the same to other sports. You want people to respect soccer, yet you throw out the same kinds jabs?

And it's really not a "fan" thread, it's just a general sports thread.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I'm sounding more like the OP? Why? Because I'm not saying that American football is a slow, boring, un-athletic non-sport? I'm not knocking soccer in any way. Hell, I even asked why you people are even taking the words of ANN COULTER (a professional troll) seriously when she never has any merit to anything she says.

I simply pointed out that football is more than just coaches calling plays and the players on the field executing them every 5 minutes. Yet, some of you acted like the skills and athleticism (or that there's a lack of) required for football pale in comparison to soccer, as if that's some kind of competition. They're two different sport. Just like any other, there are skills and athleticism to each respective game. They're all different, but how do you judge which DIFFERENT form is better?

I'm against people generalizing and demeaning soccer, but wont have sympathy for the fans if the do the same to other sports. You want people to respect soccer, yet you throw out the same kinds jabs?

And it's really not a "fan" thread, it's just a general sports thread.
What brings the question... why praise for American football in a thread meant to point out arguments from a soccer hater in favor of American football in a soccer fan forum?

If you like American football, fine, I just think this is the a last place you should be trying to say how much you think it's a great sport and we have no right to dislike it.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:09 AM
JJG

Quote:
What brings the question... why praise for American football in a thread meant to point out arguments from a soccer hater in favor of American football in a soccer fan forum?

If you like American football, fine, I just think this is the a last place you should be trying to say how much you think it's a great sport and we have no right to dislike it.
I'm not even praising the sport. Just pointing out that all you're doing is the same thing that she's doing.

You're taking the one thing I posted here, getting ultra defensive about it, and going completely off from my point.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I'm not even praising the sport. Just pointing out that all you're doing is the same thing that she's doing.

You're taking the one thing I posted here, getting ultra defensive about it, and going completely off from my point.
OK then. It's pointless to argue about this anyway, they are 2 very different sports as you said, but you can't never expect a die hard soccer fan like me and my friends to like American football on the basis of appreciating the skills and talent of the players. It is just not what American football is about.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:04 AM

2,757 posts, read 1,949,656 times
Quote:

As I pointed out in the beginning of this thread, it is ok to like or dis-like a particular sport for what ever reason that may be. Coulter however is simply doing what she always does. Brings politics into the subject in which this case is very un-informed and makes a fool out of herself to anyone that has any sports savvy.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:22 AM

9,268 posts, read 5,770,532 times
It is more about physicality than skills though.. the opposite is true with European football

Old 08-06-2014, 10:29 AM
JJG

Fine. That's fine to say. But don't act like the players have little skill what so ever.

Not everyone has pinpoint accuracy throwing a football in tight spaces. Just in the same way that not everyone can play basketball or baseball or hockey or any other sport, for that matter.

Soccer isn't exclusive in that category. That's all I'm saying.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:34 AM

A Dozen Reasons Why The NFL Will Never Make It Outside Of The USA - Forbes

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer