U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 10:40 AM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,197,436 times

Advertisements

And this is just further proves my point...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 10:41 AM

750 posts, read 920,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And this is just further proving my point...
It's true though.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:47 AM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
It's true though.
Just don't ask why people see soccer fans as "snobbish".

Obviously, it goes both ways...

Old 08-06-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Just don't ask why people see soccer fans as "snobbish".

Obviously, it goes both ways...
Wait, the true snob here was the OP! Wasn't why the thread started in the fisrt place?

I realize it does go both ways, but it's 3.5 billion fans wordwide for true football vs. 400 million for the American version, a one-country sport that can't even be played in the Olympics.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:08 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,553,480 times
Indy you're going a bit too far but i do agree that football has its limits as far as being entertaining and tactical. Its a back and forth contact sport that stops every so often. The lack of continuous play keeps me uninterested and the audience is mostly distracted by the other things going on like halftime shows, cheerleaders, drinking and talking amongst themselves.

It doesn't grab you by the chest quite like soccer. That's why the NFL will be a rather small sporting league outside the US.

Last night I talked to a new Australian co worker and I asked him if soccer is popular in Australia and he said very popular. I was surprised because I thought it was a rugby country but he said soccer is now the popular sport next to rugby. They're pretty much even in terms if fans and viewership. Aussies love soccer.

So soccer goes far in countries where before there was no league. Japan is another example.

The same will happen to the US.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:21 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,424,036 times
The article, while trying to be funny, was kind of dumb, but this point made me laugh:

Columnist George Will once said that “Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings.”

Old 08-06-2014, 11:27 AM

5,631 posts, read 4,229,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Indy you're going a bit too far but i do agree that football has its limits as far as being entertaining and tactical. Its a back and forth contact sport that stops every so often. The lack of continuous play keeps me uninterested and the audience is mostly distracted by the other things going on like halftime shows, cheerleaders, drinking and talking amongst themselves.

It doesn't grab you by the chest quite like soccer. That's why the NFL will be a rather small sporting league outside the US.

Last night I talked to a new Australian co worker and I asked him if soccer is popular in Australia and he said very popular. I was surprised because I thought it was a rugby country but he said soccer is now the popular sport next to rugby. They're pretty much even in terms if fans and viewership. Aussies love soccer.

So soccer goes far in countries where before there was no league. Japan is another example.

The same will happen to the US.

For the record, I think soccer is cool.. I enjoyed watching some World Cup but I don't think Soccer will ever rival American Football in the US. I have been hearing stories about soccer becoming more popular every year in the US for the past 30 years yet as soon as the US was bounced from the World Cup, tv ratings plummeted.

Soccer seems to be the sport of choice for youngsters just learning how to play.. but once those youngsters get older, they seem to gravitate to the more popular sports they see on TV like 'American' Football, basketball and some baseball.

That will be hard to change until Professional Soccer gets a National TV contract and is on Primetime 3 or 4 times a week. Its almost a catch 22. Pro Soccer cant' get a big TV contract until they get a bigger audience, they can't get a bigger audience until they get on TV more.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:09 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Wait, the true snob here was the OP! Wasn't why the thread started in the fisrt place?

I realize it does go both ways, but it's 3.5 billion fans wordwide for true football vs. 400 million for the American version, a one-country sport that can't even be played in the Olympics.
You act like we care that soccer is more loved around the rest of the world than our football.

Only ONE man on this planet wants to see NFL over seas and that's Roger "Bad Decisions" Goodell. I'm not losing sleep at night just because a majority of kids in China aren't wearing Cowboy jerseys or a lot of people in Europe don't know who Joe Montana is. I don't "feel sorry" for countries that don't have gridiron or view the World Cup as more important than the Super Bowl.

That's the real difference.

Enjoy your sport without looking down upon another. Seems like some people are just incapable of that.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
You act like we care that soccer is more loved around the rest of the world than our football.

Only ONE man on this planet wants to see NFL over seas and that's Roger "Bad Decisions" Goodell. I'm not losing sleep at night just because a majority of kids in China aren't wearing Cowboy jerseys or a lot of people in Europe don't know who Joe Montana is. I don't "feel sorry" for countries that don't have gridiron or view the World Cup as more important than the Super Bowl.

Enjoy your sport without looking down upon another. Seems like some people are just incapable of that.
Whatever. My love for soccer has absolutely nothing to do with looking down another sport. You can't blame people for not enjoing any particular sport, even if you don't agree with their reasons.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:39 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,553,480 times
Quote:

This is so ridiculous. Gridiron fans do care. They wouldn't troll soccer forums, call soccer fans "snobs", or rag on the sport as though it were a foreign cancer.

The thing that boggles my mind is gridiron fans really think their opinions about soccer actually matter and don't see them as irrelevant and ignorant. I'm talking really ignorant and proud of it. Its an extension of the awful mentality that 'Murica is the best country and saves the world all the time when everyone in the room knows it's not true and only makes you look foolish.

People around the world used to international football aren't snobs for seeing the flaws in American football. They're not insecure or incapable of letting other people enjoy their sport. They just see clearly see that its pure entertainment more than an athletic competition. They see that there are only 11-13 total mins of actual gameplay, the know that advertisers milk the hell outta that extra time, they see that its a giant corporate money making venture that serves a purely spectator sport. They see the ridiculousness of calling the winners of the Super Bowl "world champions" when no other teams around the world compete.

And so on and so on.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer