U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 08:20 AM

12,545 posts, read 18,474,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
If soccer bores you, that's fine.

But why are you posting on a forum dedicated to it if that's the case? Are you posting from under your bridge, perhaps?
what could be more boring than watching a sport you think is boring? i would venture a guess at 'talking about a sport that you think watching is boring'. lol

unless of course you just like trolling the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Sitting through 20+ Major League Baseball (America's National Past time) games every season, I can say soccer's 90 minutes go by pretty quickly for me -
i LOVE baseball. it's probably one of my favorite sports, if not my favorite. I have season tickets to an MLB team, and I easily go to 15-20 games per year. i don't view it as boring, rather an intricate game you have to understand many nuances to really fully appreciate and see the excitement in it. though, it's not for everyone, and that's fine. I actually think the same about soccer - many nuances that you have to understand to fully appreciate, otherwise, the game looks pretty boring.

one of the nice things about soccer as a spectator sport is the reliability of a game: 2 hours is virtually the guaranteed amount of time you need to invest. baseball is getting tougher for me to attend games. it's only 30 minutes to the stadium for me, but with 3 young kids, not knowing if i'll be gone for 3 hrs or 4.5 hrs is just getting to be too much to handle. maybe i'll trade my yankee tickets in for the new MLS team. lol

Old 06-27-2014, 08:35 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,209,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Sitting through 20+ Major League Baseball (America's National Past time) games every season, I can say soccer's 90 minutes go by pretty quickly for me -
MLB is pretty boring. At that level the players are so good the game is usually overwhelmingly defensive. Much better to watch college or AAA games. You get young guys who make mistakes and old guys whose bodies can't do what they once could anymore. The talent is there, but those two things take just enough off to make it possible to really have offensive action and excitement.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Actually, it appears she doesn't like soccer because she is one-sided politically, and equates the game with the other side.
it's an intriguing point she's making about politics to me because some of the biggest soccer fans I personally know are some of the most conservative people I know. i've never even remotely considered political backgrounds being associated with this sport.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Like a real deal shot? Make it bend? Come off it. Both sports require skill. The poster just said he found baseball a bit tedious and even to Americans, it kinda is. I'm American as it gets and love football, basketball and soccer, but I hate baseball. Its on par with golf and paint drying on my scale of excitement.
pro football is that for me. 5-10 seconds of action in between 40 seconds of standing around. more often than not, after 3 of those, the ball is then punted to the other team or...even less exciting, a field goal is kicked. the biggest excitement in NFL to me is a big touchdown play. Moving the ball forward in 10 yard incremements warrants a huge celebration by the guy who crosses the first down marker...it just doesn't do it for me. I do enjoy college football though because of the different style of play. But to me, NFL popularity is rooted in how perfect it is for TV. even the biggest NFL fans i know don't attend a game for the actual game - they do it for the tailgates. meanwhile, most Hockey fans will tell you a live game is infinitely better than watching it on TV. but the money isn't in attendance, it's in TV and Radio. Hence the massive success of the NFL. And it's easy enough to watch a baseball game on TV because you can do multiple things while watching. same with radio. it may not be as exciting, but it still draws people to watch the "big" games.

oh and another thing for the NFL - scarcity. only 8 home games a year. and every single game basically is packaged into a single day that makes for convenient following for fans.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
MLB is pretty boring. At that level the players are so good the game is usually overwhelmingly defensive. Much better to watch college or AAA games. You get young guys who make mistakes and old guys whose bodies can't do what they once could anymore. The talent is there, but those two things take just enough off to make it possible to really have offensive action and excitement.
the most exciting game I've ever watched was Roger Clemens (NYY) vs Pedro Martinez (BOS), where Boston won 1-0. The tension of each pitch just got greater and greater as the game went on and batters struggled to get a ball in play against such an amazing display of pitching from both sides. Looking back, I despise both pitchers, but that's one of the most exciting baseball games I've ever seen - and it was almost all defense. I think a hugely offensive baseball game is incredibly boring. i've been to games that the final score was 18-11 and it was just an atrocious thing to watch.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:20 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,209,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
the most exciting game I've ever watched was Roger Clemens (NYY) vs Pedro Martinez (BOS), where Boston won 1-0. The tension of each pitch just got greater and greater as the game went on and batters struggled to get a ball in play against such an amazing display of pitching from both sides. Looking back, I despise both pitchers, but that's one of the most exciting baseball games I've ever seen - and it was almost all defense. I think a hugely offensive baseball game is incredibly boring. i've been to games that the final score was 18-11 and it was just an atrocious thing to watch.
Oh yeah that wouldn't be fun, but a game with a score one each side somewhere between 4 and 6 allows for a lot of action. Lots of folks on base, so plenty of chances for steals, sliding, close plays at bases, close calls in the field. When you have a home run derby type game or battle of pitchers you cut out a lot of the exciting things that can possibly happen in baseball.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:22 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,109,741 times
Lol, if you don't like Football (Soccer) then that is fine. But if you agree with this absolute nutjob then .......... know what that's fine to, but you must like being laughed at.

#What a complete f*ckin moron that women is.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:23 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,564,351 times
Quote:
it's an intriguing point she's making about politics to me because some of the biggest soccer fans I personally know are some of the most conservative people I know. i've never even remotely considered political backgrounds being associated with this sport.
I've noticed that too! A lot of the new, admittedly white, soccer fans I've known are largely conservative. Drew Carey is huge soccer fan and he's right wing as heck I've read. So I don't know who Coulter is appealing to other than people of her generation who think soccer is a foreign ploy to destroy the American character.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:39 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,427,349 times
Quote:
So here's what I THINK it is, but I don't actually know. I admit I read too much about soccer and read a few articles about the growth of the sport within the liberal intellectual class on the East Coast, notably New York. I have no personal knowledge of this, but I read 2-3 articles about it in the last year. That group would be Coulter's arch nemesis. So, I think she writes articles mainly to **** one group of people off and please their opposite. I think that is who reads her most often, those hugely skewed in one direction or another of the political spectrum. Those that lover her or hate her read her.

Then, there is the vast majority of people in the middle like me. I may lean one direction politically, but it surely doesn't define me, as I have views that equate to both political parties. Also, I can't stand reading about politics or articles by people that are super one sided. Anyway, that is my theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer