U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 10:58 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,555,598 times

Advertisements

It's not that big to you because you don't care about it. But all stats say its growing. Learn to accept it. You'll live a happier life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 02:54 AM

248 posts, read 259,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If soccer was going to blow up in the U.S., the perfect time for that to happen would have been after hosting the World Cup in 1994. I'm not sure much has really changed in the American sports landscape between then and now.
Uh no

in 1994 there wasn't even a soccer league in America.

There were hardly any soccer fans.

it's 2014 and the World Cup gets massive TV ratings. Gets massive crowds at outdoor city centres, pubs, etc.

Oh, and the EPL is on regular tv on the weekends.

Soccer is blowing up.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:03 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,725,586 times
I'll say the same thing that people used to say about Nascar 15 years ago

"Soccer... the fastest growing sport in the US"

Old 06-28-2014, 09:17 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,710,742 times
^
heheh...yessir...and we will win the World Cup.......one day! And to paraphrase good ole Mick..'Time...is on our side!'........;-)....jaysus Rome wans't built in a day!

Come to think of it if you ask Keith I think he'd say the same thing!

Old 06-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Status: "Love, Goodness, and Kindness Will Prevail . . ." (set 2 days ago)

2,743 posts, read 3,274,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think when soccer players stop falling on the ground and being in tears Americans would jump on a little more. It's pathetic to see 5 minutes to go in a game and people laying on the ground trying to draw a card when they should get up like men and play.

I'm sorry, but there's no way around how pathetic it looks. It's really hard for Americans to go from watching something like Hockey or Football and then see these soccer players on the ground.

I like watching soccer for the World Cup, but I can't stand to watch sissies for a full year. I just like cheering on my country.
Agreed!

No one appreciates watching professional athletes tumble over like bowling pins, or worse, faking dramatic pain when merely grazed by an opponent player. It is pathetic and unsportsmanlike. To top it off, it's a problem which, by all appearances, could be easily dealt with. With cameras recording every thing every where on the field, it should be fairly simple to spot fake floppers and either fine them, or disqualify them from playing the next game.

Good point!

Old 06-28-2014, 11:42 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,103,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Agreed!

No one appreciates watching professional athletes tumble
Including us fans, especially northern Europeans

Not just Football - happens in even ........ wait for it ........ Rugby! And to extremes :

Bloodgate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-28-2014, 12:01 PM

Its a total sports problem. Not just a soccer thing.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:11 PM

21 posts, read 12,124 times
Growing up in California the 80s and 90s, everyone played soccer at some point. It was certainly my favorite sport to play. No one I knew had any interest in it as a spectator sport, because I think it is boring as a spectator sport compared to American football. The only games on TV back then were Spanish-language, so I went to a few college level games and then MLS games the first season they started play, and I couldn't even force myself to like watching it.

I think most of the modest increase of interest in the U.S. is media-pushed by liberals who have an affection for anything European. That's the distinct impression I get when I talk to them.

All interests in sports could be said to be in the eye of the beholder. So I think the only real test of which fall sport is most popular: football, soccer, or rugby, is New England in the late 1800s when versions of all three were played without any prior bias. No other part of the world had the same opportunity. The fact that American football was the hands-down winner is the best evidence of which sport is the most exciting for spectators.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:22 PM

Omg how did the soccer board get clogged with these anti soccer trolls? Soccer is being pushed by liberals?

Clearly, this is the main theory for uptight conservatives who hate seeing Americans get into a foreign sport. Give it up.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:25 PM

248 posts, read 259,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeping Incrementalism View Post
Growing up in California the 80s and 90s, everyone played soccer at some point. It was certainly my favorite sport to play. No one I knew had any interest in it as a spectator sport, because I think it is boring as a spectator sport compared to American football. The only games on TV back then were Spanish-language, so I went to a few college level games and then MLS games the first season they started play, and I couldn't even force myself to like watching it.

I think most of the modest increase of interest in the U.S. is media-pushed by liberals who have an affection for anything European. That's the distinct impression I get when I talk to them.

All interests in sports could be said to be in the eye of the beholder. So I think the only real test of which fall sport is most popular: football, soccer, or rugby, is New England in the late 1800s when versions of all three were played without any prior bias. No other part of the world had the same opportunity. The fact that American football was the hands-down winner is the best evidence of which sport is the most exciting for spectators.
American football is 11 minutes of action and 2hrs of commercials. It is one heck of a boring afterboon watching an NFL of college football game. I've gone to a few and I want to get out of there as fast as I can. Half the stadium is too drunk to know any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or