U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 01:44 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,085,866 times

Advertisements

The beautiful thing about football is you can use a can to upgrade your skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 03:31 PM

248 posts, read 258,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
You know it is too bad that money somehow interferes with the cream rising to the top so to speak. I'd figure that it's incumbent that the US soccer 'bureaucracy' has to be set up in such a way to really enable those who have talent and want to excel in the sport by putting the required work to have that dream fulfilled. Thing is we're such a gigantic country and real good athletes in soccer can get 'lost'. I don't think other countries have this issue.
It's not so much that they get lost. The bigger problem is that there isn't a clear path to a pro career for many youth prospects. In successful soccer nations every city and town has a pro soccer team (or multiple teams). These teams have youth academies that reach into the community for their players. So, a youth player that has talent is going to go through that pipeline. There is a clear path to a pro career if he is good enough and he will be trained in a professional environment all the way through at no cost to the player.

In the U.S where does a kid who doesn't live near an MLS academy go? Either pay to play club teams where the coach's interests (win a lot of games to appease parents) may not be in line with the youth players interests (develop technique and don't worry about results of games). Not only that, but the youth player is not in any sort of pipeline with a clear path to a pro career. Instead his path to a pro career is college, where the amount of time he can practice with coaches and teams is regulated by the NCAA and where the training is not good enough, and then drafted into an MLS team where its possible that he plays his first pro game 5000 miles away from his mom's home cooking. This is the absurd reality of the American youth soccer system.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:37 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,702,136 times
You make some very good points. And I'll say something regarding an observation I've made in the miles and miles and miles I've traveled in youth soccer here. It was very rare to see anybody affiliated with US soccer around in the trenches checking things out. It was just simply the 'locals'. Some might say so what but really it doesn't make sense. Budding doctors get teachers. And those teachers are the most eminent. They are the best teaching those who want to be proficient in the profession.

It takes a lot of hard work to get anything done if you want success. I hope that is being done now on Klinsmann's watch. Maybe things will pick up organizationally for some can argue that in a way we are ' parking the bus'.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:59 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,367,459 times
in the US, basketball is the poor mans port since its cheap to play. Elsewhere in the world, soccer is the poor mans sport since you can play it anywhere and its cheap to make or buy a ball. In the US, the next step up from basketball is football, not "soccer". and so on.

now if we could get soccer rung down to the poor class and instill it like the NBA and NFL, then we'd have a better shot at success and growth. And in a weird way, the US being one of the newest countries formed who is economically stable, is one of the last to adopt one of the worlds oldest sport to exist.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:52 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,533,279 times
It is weird that all the resources and opportunities in US soccer for youth are solidly middle to upper middle class. Completely different from other nations which find their talent in the slums. A lot of the US soccer players went through college and had rather nice middle class backgrounds.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:31 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,019,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Dempsey doesn't look upper class?
Didn't he come from a trailer park in Texas?

Old 06-28-2014, 07:38 PM

6,185 posts, read 6,355,356 times
That euro step is not invented by metrosexuals from europe. That is a classic american white boy move who learned the game by joining formal leagues and not by playing street ball.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:42 PM

6,185 posts, read 6,355,356 times
What US needs to get their kids playing street soccer or some form of small ball like Futsal, so they learn the close-in control, and possession game, tight passing, 1v1 skills needed to penetrate to the net.

Or they can tweak the rules a little. I like to see long passes like in american football. So lets do something with the offside rule so that we can run hail mary routes.

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; 06-28-2014 at 07:54 PM..

Old 06-29-2014, 12:21 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,085,866 times
It is like Scotland - we used to produce world class players. They were all from the slums of the cities, they learned the same way the Brazilians of the favelas learned. Now, with ''better'' facilities - we have bread a brand of football that is all about winning and not concentrating on developing skills.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:04 PM

24,268 posts, read 18,765,643 times
I read an interview with Toni Sthl who has played most of his career in NASL, and he said that the level of professionalism is the US is on a terrible level in some clubs. And coming from Finland, which is not maybe known for the ultimate soccer professionalism. "Bunch of amateurs", is what he said. Said also that the training and playing facilities are on top level, but the quality of the training is lacking behind.

The MLS seem to have a good thing going on, but on the lower levels the situation might be a bit different. Maybe it's the lack of promotion/relegation that make a mental impact that some clubs don't have the aim to go forward. I don't know.

Teemu Tainio, who played for NY/NJ Red Bulls (and Tottenham, Ajax and Auxerre), again said that the MLS players are in top condition physically and mentally, but tactically are lacking behind vs Europeans, and often technically as well. I think the US needs a generation of youth coaches that have solid international experience and the will to make soccer a bigger thing in the US.

Just mine and their two (euro) cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or