U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2014, 06:41 AM
 
4,456 posts, read 3,709,950 times
Reputation: 3109

Advertisements

Re Klinsmann's propaganda

It's really evident that Klinsmann runs a tight ship in directing the team as well as being selective in the kind and types of players he wants on the team. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in 3-4 years when it comes to individual talent and skills an how that fits in with overall team play.

Without a doubt he's going for youth and he wants the guys to play in Europe. Finally each player has a role to play in what he has to do for the team. Those roles will have different skills obviously based on position. When the next Cup rolls around I 'll be real curious to see how the US will attack and defend based on the talent being developed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2014, 10:49 PM
 
Location: 'greater' Buffalo, NY
3,067 posts, read 2,112,192 times
Reputation: 3965
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re Klinsmann's propaganda

It's really evident that Klinsmann runs a tight ship in directing the team as well as being selective in the kind and types of players he wants on the team. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in 3-4 years when it comes to individual talent and skills an how that fits in with overall team play.

Without a doubt he's going for youth and he wants the guys to play in Europe. Finally each player has a role to play in what he has to do for the team. Those roles will have different skills obviously based on position. When the next Cup rolls around I 'll be real curious to see how the US will attack and defend based on the talent being developed.
Odds are overwhelmingly in favor of their still being in the 12-20 range globally in four years' time. Unless they can cash some Freddy Adu immigration lottery tickets for good outcomes this time around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 07:44 AM
 
4,456 posts, read 3,709,950 times
Reputation: 3109
I don't disagree with you there. Perhaps some diamond-in-the-rough will come out of MLS and from Europe to really add another lift to the squad. Klinsmann I'm sure is going to have 'patrols' out all over the place looking at talent. I wish we can turn out 'stars' from assembly lines like the teams that left the tournamnet very early. Thwey'll moan now but really they usually have a nice supply always coming in. But, of course, I guess 'vee have to do it the tough way'...;-)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 08:05 AM
 
Location: IL
2,992 posts, read 4,424,036 times
Reputation: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Odds are overwhelmingly in favor of their still being in the 12-20 range globally in four years' time. Unless they can cash some Freddy Adu immigration lottery tickets for good outcomes this time around
Yeah, they have some young talent on the team already that should be around next WC...Yedlin, Green, Mix, Brooks, and Chandler. Johnson, Gonzalez and Besler will be about 30. Jozy will be 28, although they need something beyond his skills to become elite. Boyd will be upper 20's. Within the MLS, I expect Gill and maybe Zardes to start making appearances, but the big missing piece are the guys up top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2014, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Back in MADISON Wi thank God!
1,047 posts, read 3,362,865 times
Reputation: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Yeah, they have some young talent on the team already that should be around next WC...Yedlin, Green, Mix, Brooks, and Chandler. Johnson, Gonzalez and Besler will be about 30. Jozy will be 28, although they need something beyond his skills to become elite. Boyd will be upper 20's. Within the MLS, I expect Gill and maybe Zardes to start making appearances, but the big missing piece are the guys up top.
Maybe Messi will retire to MLS and pass on some scoring tips to the youngsters on his team that they can then take with them to the US national team and on to the next Cup...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2014, 06:07 PM
 
6,252 posts, read 6,391,917 times
Reputation: 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier agrees.

MLS can try to emulate European, South American, and Mexican soccer (or "football") all they want, and the sport will never grow to be more than a niche sport here in the United States.
More and more parents are putting their kids into soccer than american football because they afraid of concussions. As long as the MLS payscale is decent enough, you surely will see the sport grow. There is always basketball, but you have to be over 6'5" to be anything in it. Most kids are pretty smart and realize they dont have a chance at basketball. But soccer is something anyone can get a shot at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2014, 06:10 PM
 
6,252 posts, read 6,391,917 times
Reputation: 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Right. The US is extremely diverse, which makes a single style difficult to translate. As an aside, I would love if the US found a guy that could beat someone one on one. Dempsey did it in the first 30 seconds of the Ghana game, but he always seems a little clunky. Johansson filled in for Altidore in that game and basically ran in a straight line when he got the ball.

Maybe something like creativity upfront, speed on the wings and strength in the middle back. A high energy, never ending counter attack seems to be where we are aiming for at this point, but are still missing major pieces.
I dont think organized youth league even teaches the one vs one skill set. I know mine did not, I had to learn by messing with friends in the backyard. Watching soccer now makes me regret not continuing with it. I was in the generation that eventually moved onto basketball and football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2014, 06:13 PM
 
6,252 posts, read 6,391,917 times
Reputation: 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Heh, I was on the ODP NYS West team when I was 12. Was surprised to be one of the last to make it after starting the day-long tryout rather horrendously. Wasn't/am not aware of the role of financial kickbacks in the selection process, although I wouldn't be surprised to hear of its having happened in some cases/"federations".

Regarding kids thinking they're budding Maradonas, well, kids who are participating in something termed the "Olympic Development Program" might certainly be persuaded into harboring some delusions of grandeur, yes. (Also by that time they've probably learned how to do the dribbling move that is named after Maradona, so maybe there's some validity to these comparisons, heh). But the inflated self-image you reference is true across sports, pretty much for anything kids do (or adults, for that matter). Barring traumatic brain injury, I'll never forget a school assembly that I witnessed when I was in fifth grade. Former Buffalo Bills left tackle John Fina was there to give a speech. Here's how he started: "How many of the boys here think you're going to play in the NFL? Raise your hands." Maybe a third of the K-8 boys raised their hands, with the percentages skewing higher for the younger grades. Fina then informed those assembled: "I've got some news for you: none of you are going to make it. That's why school is important." Heh, what a dreamcrusher.
Yeh, and now we have all these college grads who cant find a job, or are underpaid, and living at home, and such LOLZ. You just cant win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 10:06 PM
 
4,456 posts, read 3,709,950 times
Reputation: 3109
Re: 'one on one' skill sets .

You mean those organized youth leagues actually haven't set that up as the bedrock in developing skills! Whoa and we're wondering about where our place is in the hierarchy of soccer playing countries?

I ask that because I have be away from the youth leagues for a bit but more knowledgeable on the college end nowadays. Amazing if that isn't set up by now. Kind if ridiculous if we think
about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2014, 12:55 PM
 
6,252 posts, read 6,391,917 times
Reputation: 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: 'one on one' skill sets .

You mean those organized youth leagues actually haven't set that up as the bedrock in developing skills! Whoa and we're wondering about where our place is in the hierarchy of soccer playing countries?

I ask that because I have be away from the youth leagues for a bit but more knowledgeable on the college end nowadays. Amazing if that isn't set up by now. Kind if ridiculous if we think
about it.
We dont do this for hockey, basketball or football really. I mean, they have some one on one drills, but they dont spend nearly enough time. Like the military, they dont let you go one on one much either.

A lot kids get scared away by one on ones, and these coaches need to make sure the kids come back or else they dont get paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top