U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:10 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,714,682 times

Advertisements

[quote]]it's the price we pay for not having a proper pyramid. With a real football pyramid with promotion and relegation we'd have more pro clubs spread throughout the country and more club funded academies. This is how it works everywhere else in the world.[quote]

I wish I was a fly on Klinsmann's wall nowadays. Maybe the answer to your question is there. Looking back on the US presence in the Cup I'd say we were pretty good with our 'style'. We defintely could compete. Maybe if we had as you say academies things would really get bumped up and prepare US players for the 'world' game. And perhaps we're lukcy now that we have Klinsmann. That German pedigree just could help. He's tied in over there too. ..;-)....

Quote:
It is sometimes hard to watch, because they lose the ball a lot, but at their
age I just want them comfortable with the ball.
That's great. Keep them moving with that ball! And I hope you never ever ever get a 'coach' who says consistently to his/her players...'boot it out boot it out!!!!...There's a time and place for it but if it's a mantra I'd suggest taking the kids elsewhere ...;-)....

Quote:
But that box was mine and I made sure everyone knew it. Not many keepers play
that way
And I figure you yell and curse at your 'front 4' too....hope so!...;-)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 08:55 AM

7,552 posts, read 16,409,943 times
I did of course =) My voice travels! I used to cut through my own players too when I told them to leave it and they didnt move and blocked my route to the ball. I was a tough keeper, probably the reason I can barely walk these days but thats neither here knor there

Old 07-10-2014, 07:32 PM

Yeah looks like you and myself and others sure would have the great 'glory days' to fondly recall.I guess just like others I have gone from walking in the glorious sunshine of victory to the oh so lowly miserableness of defeat!... ;-)....hey I got the wounds too yet I loved all that 'play!' Competing was just great!

Old 07-10-2014, 11:59 PM

6,299 posts, read 6,414,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
We then need to increase youth futsal leagues.
Or get kids to play street soccer more instead of Bball. We somehow have to convince them they have a shot at making pro in soccer which most people would have a higher chance at because you do not have to be over 6'5" to play pro ball. MLS payscales need to catch up too.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:06 AM

I live near a large park in Queens NYC. Every weekend and afterschool on the weekdays, the park is filled with hispanic immigrants playing soccer in an organized league or just pickups. The kids usually are playing afterschool on weekdays. But the training is run by the same hispanic immigrants adults that fill up the park on the weekends. These are the players that we need to recruit and foster. They are playing the game and have the skill sets that Latin American powerhouses have. I am sure the Southwest has places like this too.

Dont just about every MLS club have a youth development program going on? I know the Red Bulls do. What is there training like? They should have some kids in their farm system that will explode in a few years, or even by the next WC.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:06 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,566,423 times
Quote:
I am sure the Southwest has places like this too.
It's been like this since I played fifteen years ago. The poorer kids, immigrant or not, play in cheaper leagues that don't mean squat when it comes to real competition that matters. A lot of those kids are amazing but can't afford the meaningful leagues that send you off to college or the pros.

We need out boys to go into street soccer then futsal then a real league. Soccer in the USA at the competitive pro level is surprisingly a middle class sport. Its backwards from the rest of the world where rugby is the chosen sport of the upper middle classes, while soccer is the prole sport.

But that's typical of American imports, eh? What's cheap in other countries is a luxury here. Lol

Old 07-11-2014, 06:52 AM

260 posts, read 236,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Didn't he come from a trailer park in Texas?

Dempsey is exactly the type of players we should be producing just more. I think futbol should be a second option sport like baseball and basketball. When i was in high school there were football players on varsity basketball and varsity baseball teams. Most of the time they weren't talented enough in basketball or baseball but they got their spot based on their rep. They wanted to remain in shape year round so the coaches of the basketball and baseball teams made concessions to keep a spot for them even though they road the bench most of the time.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:02 AM

Nj brazen

There you go. Without a doubt the possibility of a US World Cup win one day will have its roots in the kind of parks we all see in our states. Gotta start somewhere and then work the rungs up. Btw don't they play cricket in there too? I see some playing when I ride the Parkway in at times. Jeez cricket! That's possibly another sleeper game here thanks to the expatriate Brits and West Indians...;-).....

Old 07-11-2014, 11:21 AM

7,552 posts, read 16,409,943 times
I too see a lot more kids just kicking the ball around and playing then I did ten or so years ago when I moved to the US.

I think most MLS teams do have their own youth setups, I have seen Colorado's playing here in Houston a couple of times. We are seeing more "home grown" and youth academy players mention in games that I watch on MLS Live so it is an exciting time to finally see the MLS turning this direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I live near a large park in Queens NYC. Every weekend and afterschool on the weekdays, the park is filled with hispanic immigrants playing soccer in an organized league or just pickups. The kids usually are playing afterschool on weekdays. But the training is run by the same hispanic immigrants adults that fill up the park on the weekends. These are the players that we need to recruit and foster. They are playing the game and have the skill sets that Latin American powerhouses have. I am sure the Southwest has places like this too.

Dont just about every MLS club have a youth development program going on? I know the Red Bulls do. What is there training like? They should have some kids in their farm system that will explode in a few years, or even by the next WC.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Nj brazen

There you go. Without a doubt the possibility of a US World Cup win one day will have its roots in the kind of parks we all see in our states. Gotta start somewhere and then work the rungs up. Btw don't they play cricket in there too? I see some playing when I ride the Parkway in at times. Jeez cricket! That's possibly another sleeper game here thanks to the expatriate Brits and West Indians...;-).....
In another section of the park yes. This section I am talking about has dedicated soccer fields with goals and the markings on the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or