U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:24 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,706,160 times

Advertisements

Yes, I'm sure it's busy there...which is great.

The MLS academies are real positive too. The other day I kind of reflected on a picture I saw of Brazilian kids playing on a raft man. A raft! The other picture was me driving through my area's soccer fields the other day last week and not seeing anybody out there....practicing or playing. I guess the ghosts were there in spirit. Only thing is 'ghosts' can't learn to play the game well if they're not there!...;-)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 01:26 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,042,049 times
The last time the U.S. mens national soccer team made the World Cup quarterfinals, Landon Donovan was on the team.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:00 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,775,237 times
Donovan is a cry baby. He didn't get picked but went on a rage against the manager.. I think he should have gone as a sub possibly, but I can see why Jurgen did not take him.

Either way, Jurgen did an amazing job with the set of players that he had, so nobody can complain at him, he made a bunch of players that are not individually amazing play well as a team, so his decision was justified.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:59 PM

750 posts, read 920,403 times
I thought the overal performance of the US team was just OK at the best. Ghana played better and the head goal in the end for the US was luck. They played well against Portugal but allowed that goal in the end by a defensive mistake on the right. They barely touched the ball agsinst Germany. Belgium massacred them, if it weren't for not the record saves from Howard, that game could have easily finished 4-0 or more for Belgium. They were also second to worst on ball possession in the tournament, that's really bad.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:42 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,544,951 times
Totally agree. This team is still the same team from 2010. I really didn't see anything stunning. We had few gems for plays. We clearly lack world class players. We were determined and we had an amazing fan-base that carried this team. That's what kept us alive was the hard determination to score. I think we caught Ghana off guard, and Portugal had a weak team. Germany and Belgium brought us back to reality.

We still have a long way to go.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:38 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,706,160 times
I just read a brief on Germany's road to the Cup. They came in last at Euro 2000 and didn't win a game. After that they started a 10 year development program. In 02 they started a talent program for children 8-14 with academies set up with coaches who scouted and trained the players. Klinsmann was part of that development program. Recently, Germany put in about 130 million into their academies. Seems like the results worked. Maybe we can do this too. Where there's a will there's a way.

And just as an aside, Germany won with 'substitutes' coming on '...they know it's a team game and everybody had to be ready. Gotze did show he was better than Messi...;-)......what words can do by the coach before he went in!

Old 07-18-2014, 07:00 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,392,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
I thought the overal performance of the US team was just OK at the best. Ghana played better and the head goal in the end for the US was luck. They played well against Portugal but allowed that goal in the end by a defensive mistake on the right. They barely touched the ball agsinst Germany. Belgium massacred them, if it weren't for not the record saves from Howard, that game could have easily finished 4-0 or more for Belgium. They were also second to worst on ball possession in the tournament, that's really bad.
I agree, if people look beyond blind patriotism theyll see we werent as good as people think. We cant move on and build for the future if you think we played well in the game against Belgium ... which some people think we did. We just couldnt hold onto the ball and do much a majority of all the games. Thank God for Howard. I do think the future is bright, we have some very good young players in MLS.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:06 AM

I agree, the US soccer as a whole have to build a plan to recruit and keep the young players well trained and motivated to represent the country at the iternational level, sort like what Germany did in 2000 after the big EuroCup fiasco. But I also thought that the US in this WC was better than they played. They respected too much the opponents, they should have taken more risks.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:23 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,421,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
I agree, the US soccer as a whole have to build a plan to recruit and keep the young players well trained and motivated to represent the country at the iternational level, sort like what Germany did in 2000 after the big EuroCup fiasco. But I also thought that the US in this WC was better than they played. They respected too much the opponents, they should have taken more risks.
I think that's what they were trying to do against Belgium, which led to 16 saves by Howard. They need better attacking midfielders and finishers, though. They do well on attacking from the wings, but can't capitalize on that at this point.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I think that's what they were trying to do against Belgium, which led to 16 saves by Howard. They need better attacking midfielders and finishers, though. They do well on attacking from the wings, but can't capitalize on that at this point.
True. They definitively could use a midfielder with not only attacking skills but also great talent maintaining possession and creating. Someone like Zidane was for France or Pirlo is for Italy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or