Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 10:16 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times

Advertisements

Thoughts on the articles?

Also, do you foresee the U.S. making the same type of contributions to the game that Europeans have made to basketball?

Rise of the Euro Step - YouTube

U.S. soccer must go own way - Chicago Tribune

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_spot/...luck_with.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 10:21 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,841,928 times
Do you know what I think Basketball has a lot of similarities to Football - I honestly do.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:39 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,383 times
^
Pass, dribble and move, eh???...;-)....You know come to think of it we can pass and move real good. But I'd say 'dribbling' and learning to take pressure while on the ball could be worked on.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:42 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,003,408 times
The US could have the best of all styles of play. We should have a strong defense, a wicked dribbling samba style midfield and a crazy good attacking force. We are not there yet but in a few more years we will develop into one of the best teams out there.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:28 AM

248 posts, read 310,365 times
Until we do the following we are never going to make that next step to producing elite players:

-remove barriers to entry for pro career. Among these is abolishing the draft for MLS. When you force an 18 year old kid from Texas to start his pro career in Canada don't be surprised when it takes him two years to adapt to his new country, new culture, and being away from family. No other country does this for a reason.

-add a promotion/relegation system to the pyramid. Pro/rel means more clubs, more clubs means more youth academies, more youth academies means more availability of free training for youth players. Pro/rel also means more competition. Competion increases quality. The franchise system limits growth of clubs. By limiting growth of clubs you are limiting the spread of soccer culture and you are limiting opportunities.

-invest in inner-city soccer infrastructure. In successful soccer nations soccer is a working class sport. In America it is a sport played by the middle class and upper class.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarti View Post
sport played by the middle class and upper class.
Dempsey doesn't look upper class?

Old 06-28-2014, 11:03 AM

248 posts, read 310,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Dempsey doesn't look upper class?
I didn't say no working class kids played soccer

Old 06-28-2014, 11:06 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,003,408 times
Quote:
-invest in inner-city soccer infrastructure. In successful soccer nations soccer is a working class sport. In America it is a sport played by the middle class and upper class.
I believe all sports are middle to upper middle class thing in America. That's the market and that's the demographic. Basketball being the lone exception.

Soccer is working class all the way. The upper crust in soccer crazy nations don't even really appreciate it as much and prefer tennis and rugby.

I agree that soccer should start at the basest level. Soccer is a pretty much upper middle class sport in terms of where all the opportunities and best resources are.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarti View Post
I didn't say no working class kids played soccer
What I am saying is that the team look like normal people, I don't see no ''posh'' people.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:23 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,383 times
You know it is too bad that money somehow interferes with the cream rising to the top so to speak. I'd figure that it's incumbent that the US soccer 'bureaucracy' has to be set up in such a way to really enable those who have talent and want to excel in the sport by putting the required work to have that dream fulfilled. Thing is we're such a gigantic country and real good athletes in soccer can get 'lost'. I don't think other countries have this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer