U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 09:58 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,579,118 times

Advertisements

Burgler, this is where I part ways. Now I could take the high road and say that it to each his own and that different strokes for different folks but in this case it's not. It's not a matter of opinion. The video link I posted is of two big college teams going at it and the announcers flipping a wig over the "excitement" in the stadium. The fact that you brought up Valpa says it all. Everton? Dude I'm talking Colo Colo vs La U, in the Estadio Nacional.

I'm talking River Plate vs Boca in Argentina. Celtics vs Rangers.

There is a difference between colorful streams, huge banners, choreographed jumping, shouting, flares, confetti, fireworks and more......and some jumping to Metallica.

Please just stop looking like such an insular chump. Can any pro or college sports team match the level of excitement of a Besiktas vs Galatasaray match in Turkey? The stadium looks like its on fire.

This isn't even trying to be like "my junks bigger than yours" kinda stupid macho thing either, this is just trying to be as rational as I can be to explain a simple concept to you; American sporting events are largely sanitized passive spectator events that are controlled to make the sponsors and the comfortable middle class demographic happy. Hell, shouting in unison and large displays of passion are seen as rather crass and vulgar at these matches. I know as my group got too rowdy at a UT game and were told to simmer down cus its a family affair.

So at least have the decency to think clearly and objectively about this. So your high school game sold out, LOL. What does that have to do with anything? You think they even comes close to the level of excitement as a Colo Colo game? This isn't even a debate. I feel as though I'm talking to a creationist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 10:31 AM

16,410 posts, read 26,315,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Burgler, this is where I part ways. Now I could take the high road and say that it to each his own and that different strokes for different folks but in this case it's not. It's not a matter of opinion. The video link I posted is of two big college teams going at it and the announcers flipping a wig over the "excitement" in the stadium. The fact that you brought up Valpa says it all. Everton? Dude I'm talking Colo Colo vs La U, in the Estadio Nacional.

I'm talking River Plate vs Boca in Argentina. Celtics vs Rangers.

There is a difference between colorful streams, huge banners, choreographed jumping, shouting, flares, confetti, fireworks and more......and some jumping to Metallica.

Please just stop looking like such an insular chump. Can any pro or college sports team match the level of excitement of a Besiktas vs Galatasaray match in Turkey? The stadium looks like its on fire.

This isn't even trying to be like "my junks bigger than yours" kinda stupid macho thing either, this is just trying to be as rational as I can be to explain a simple concept to you; American sporting events are largely sanitized passive spectator events that are controlled to make the sponsors and the comfortable middle class demographic happy. Hell, shouting in unison and large displays of passion are seen as rather crass and vulgar at these matches. I know as my group got too rowdy at a UT game and were told to simmer down cus its a family affair.

So at least have the decency to think clearly and objectively about this. So your high school game sold out, LOL. What does that have to do with anything? You think they even comes close to the level of excitement as a Colo Colo game? This isn't even a debate. I feel as though I'm talking to a creationist.

I'm sorry, but you seem so far set on being against American sports that you refuse to really see.

Here is 2014 U de Chile vs Colo Colo, you call this insane? Come on man... that doesn't even compare to a high school football game in Texas.

Also, I was not bragging about a high school football game selling out. I was merely comparing a typical Chilean soccer team to my high school football team. I brought up Everton because it's a team that doesn't sell anything and has almost no crowd. Look at even the crappies NFL teams, they sell out every week and the fans are loud and cheering on their team.

University of Michigan -- The Big House sells out 100,000 seats.

You talk about me having to think objectively. You have more bias than anyone around here man.

I was the one saying that most fans are going to be the same in just about any sport, but you HAD to make soccer fans to be so much crazier

Old 06-30-2014, 10:51 AM

I'm not talking about a sell out crowd man. I'm talking about the fans themselves. When I go to UT vs A&M, its always sold out but the atmosphere there always seems sanitized in comparison to the soccer games I've seen abroad. Are you from Texas? I highly highly doubt it. I grew up in KATY, TX. Yup, if you know what you're talking about then you know what I mean. No Katy game matched the games I've seen abroad.

That game you linked actually surprises me because when I went it was crazier and more packed. It felt a bit more like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CwqYOYxWJUA

There you have it: River Plate vs Boca.

The fans at any football game in the States just cannot match this. I'm sorry but they can't because it's not in the games best interest nor is it even legal I think to do half the things these fans do. Every game that I've been too in the states felt like a massively staged corporate event.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I'm not talking about a sell out crowd man. I'm talking about the fans themselves. When I go to UT vs A&M, its always sold out but the atmosphere there always seems sanitized in comparison to the soccer games I've seen abroad. Are you from Texas? I highly highly doubt it. I grew up in KATY, TX. Yup, if you know what you're talking about then you know what I mean. No Katy game matched the games I've seen abroad.

That game you linked actually surprises me because when I went it was crazier and more packed. It felt a bit more like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CwqYOYxWJUA

There you have it: River Plate vs Boca.

The fans at any football game in the States just cannot match this. I'm sorry but they can't because it's not in the games best interest nor is it even legal I think to do half the things these fans do. Every game that I've been too in the states felt like a massively staged corporate event.
Right, but what I'm saying is that you're picking out one or two rivalry matches around the world and then comparing them to American sports.

While the crowds might get bigger for a few games a year around the world, American sports in general sell more tickets and have louder crowds.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Right, but what I'm saying is that you're picking out one or two rivalry matches around the world and then comparing them to American sports.

While the crowds might get bigger for a few games a year around the world, American sports in general sell more tickets and have louder crowds.
They may sell out more in the states but that c'mon, you seriously think they're louder? Seriously? They complain about the noise at college football games:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MFhrICTe5pY

It wasn't even that loud! LOL. Shaking colored Pom poms and yelling all disorganized, I mean dude, c'mon.

Plus most people in South America don't have the time or money for season tickets. They largely pack the rival matches. For a better comparison to your argument I would look up EPL matches.

I get that you're trying to show me that people go to football games. I get that. But what do they do? People pack stadiums all the time in the US but the feel of it always seems controlled, inhibited and corporate. It feels like staged entertainment. That's my point.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
They may sell out more in the states but that c'mon, you seriously think they're louder? Seriously? They complain about the noise at college football games:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MFhrICTe5pY

It wasn't even that loud! LOL. Shaking colored Pom poms and yelling all disorganized, I mean dude, c'mon.

Plus most people in South America don't have the time or money for season tickets. They largely pack the rival matches. For a better comparison to your argument I would look up EPL matches.

I get that you're trying to show me that people go to football games. I get that. But what do they do? People pack stadiums all the time in the US but the feel of it always seems controlled, inhibited and corporate. It feels like staged entertainment. That's my point.
I don't know. I just feel like this is more of a "my dad could beat up your dad" argument.

Everyone wants to think their sport (and team) has the loudest fans. In my opinion, it's usually all around the same.

I do think it's cool that soccer fans have the songs that they sing. That's only seen in college sports in the US.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:26 AM

7,552 posts, read 16,421,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I don't know. I just feel like this is more of a "my dad could beat up your dad" argument.
It is, but thats OK its a crap troll thread so derail as you wish!

Old 06-30-2014, 11:40 AM

1,691 posts, read 2,201,835 times
This whole thread seems to have turned into a strange sort of pissing match.

I love soccer and I love American football. Every sport has its own unique atmosphere. I find that enjoyable. That said, I don't think Americans will ever entirely understand the 'passion' of soccer fans. It's a cultural divide in part. Yes, we do have some violence at pro games but as a country, we frown on it. Passion that escalates into mob insanity is not something I ever see us respecting or viewing as anything other than ridiculous. IMO, it has less to do with understanding it and more to do with that being against what our society as a whole finds acceptable.

On a personal level, I do not understand (and doubt I ever will) crying like a blubbering idiot when your team wins. I've seen fans cry at various WC's. To me that's not passion but absurdity unless you have a family member on the field. I mean sure fan support can spur players on but ultimately it's not been your blood, sweat and tears that got a team where they are. The idea of crying over a result I simply cannot wrap my head around.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:32 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,432,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
On a personal level, I do not understand (and doubt I ever will) crying like a blubbering idiot when your team wins. I've seen fans cry at various WC's. To me that's not passion but absurdity unless you have a family member on the field. I mean sure fan support can spur players on but ultimately it's not been your blood, sweat and tears that got a team where they are. The idea of crying over a result I simply cannot wrap my head around.
I said this yesterday when watching the Greece x Costa Rica game yesterday. Maybe if I was playing, or my brother or children were playing would I be so upset that I would cry...but I wouldn't cry at my country's team losing a game. I may be severly dissappointed, but crying is a step too far.

After the Ghana game we were all jumping around, screaming and hugging...and I was so disappointed when Portugal scored in extra time (I barely spoke for a few minutes afterwards). I was also exhausted after the Brazil game Saturday, but crying is a bit too far.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:38 PM

7,552 posts, read 16,421,151 times
Ive never cried but I saw in my seat for about an hour and a half after Shelbourne threw away the league on the last day of the season over 10 years ago. I regret that now as I was in the paper lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or