U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 09:24 PM

1,691 posts, read 2,200,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I said this yesterday when watching the Greece x Costa Rica game yesterday. Maybe if I was playing, or my brother or children were playing would I be so upset that I would cry...but I wouldn't cry at my country's team losing a game. I may be severely disappointed, but crying is a step too far.
That's my issue in a nutshell. I've been extremely excited and oh so disappointed before to the point I felt exhausted. But crying? Probably not unless it's my kid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Ive never cried but I saw in my seat for about an hour and a half after Shelbourne threw away the league on the last day of the season over 10 years ago. I regret that now as I was in the paper lol
Out of curiosity, beyond the haunting photo evidence of it, is the emotion still there now or do you look back now and wonder what you were thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I was with you all the way til the last paragraph. There is nothing wrong with crying after the team wins a game. Again that ties into your first paragraph though.

[snip]
So all in all its a cultural thing. Soccer teams have deep roots in politics, class, and nationalism. That's why the people are so passionate. Sports in the US is pure entertainment, that's why Americans are like huh??? when watching fans go nuts or cry or chant their hearts out.
I did say my aversion to crying was a personal thing. I have a lot of guy friends who get all worked up over games. I think they're nuts. I tell them so. They in turn tell me I just don't get it. They're right, I don't and I know I never will.

The bit on nationalism did catch my attention. It's a strange thing because soccer is deeply nationalistic abroad - to the point of being a bit boggling at times. Yet Americans are often condemned abroad for being too nationalistic.

Personally, I think sports should always be for entertainment. Please don't take this as badly as I fear you might, but I tend to think if much of your identity is tied up in sports and events your country may have won 50 years ago...it's just kind of sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 09:26 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,401,847 times
The emotion is still there. We lost the league and the cup that season, I think it was the second season in a row we threw the title away on the last day. You cant get over that.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:26 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,555,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The difference is that in the US the laws are very strict... something similar happens in England.
You go to places like Brazil and Argentina... and fans do whatever they want.

I just think is funny how Americans have such a hard time admitting that soccer fans in other countries can be louder that fooball fans.

Tell me 1 game that you've seen in the US where people have done this (go to the middle of the video)

Simply stunning! La U de Chile!!

Brilliant post. Thanks so much.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Personally, I think sports should always be for entertainment. Please don't take this as badly as I fear you might, but I tend to think if much of your identity is tied up in sports and events your country may have won 50 years ago...it's just kind of sad.
Well then be grateful you live in a country where sports can be just pure entertainment. The games in Europe, Latin America and Asia, are a way for people to vent the daily grind and release their grievances they have over things they can't control like political border disputes, the class divisions, and the national angst.

Americans can sometimes be to quick to judge things they don't fully understand. People are always perplexed by soccer fans thinking its just a game, well yes in the end it is but a the same time they're so much more. The closest comparison in the States is hardcore college football teams like The Texas Aggies or Notre Dame or USC Trojans or whatever other hardcore team. The Oakland Raider nation comes to mind.

Take those teams and multiply then by 10 and you'll get it.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:41 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,112,865 times
Quote:
Well then be grateful you live in a country where sports can be just pure entertainment. The games in Europe, Latin America and Asia, are a way for people to vent the daily grind and release their grievances they have over things they can't control like political border disputes, the class divisions, and the national angst.

Americans can sometimes be to quick to judge things they don't fully understand. People are always perplexed by soccer fans thinking its just a game, well yes in the end it is but a the same time they're so much more. The closest comparison in the States is hardcore college football teams like The Texas Aggies or Notre Dame or USC Trojans or whatever other hardcore team. The Oakland Raider nation comes to mind.

Take those teams and multiply then by 10 and you'll get it.
Ever hear of this book? I read it about five years ago and enjoyed it. Some of the Amazon reviews are somewhat critical, but given what I recall and the first paragraph of your post above, I'd recommend checking it out if you haven't already

How Soccer Explains the World: An Unlikely Theory of Globalization: Franklin Foer: 9780061978050: Amazon.com: Books

Old 06-30-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Ever hear of this book? I read it about five years ago and enjoyed it. Some of the Amazon reviews are somewhat critical, but given what I recall and the first paragraph of your post above, I'd recommend checking it out if you haven't already

How Soccer Explains the World: An Unlikely Theory of Globalization: Franklin Foer: 9780061978050: Amazon.com: Books
Ill check it out! Thanks!

Old 06-30-2014, 09:45 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,112,865 times
Quote:
Ill check it out! Thanks!
np

Old 06-30-2014, 11:50 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,725,586 times
Quote:
I don't think we are trying to question the love football fans have for their sport. The point is that soccer fans take to the tenth degree because there is a history behind each team, usually in the form of political, class or nationalist divisions. This doesn't happen in the States because sports is largely an entertainment avenue for a relatively comfortable middle class.
The difference is that US sports are huge corporation entertainment and have no loyalty to anybody except money.
The moment a team doesn't get what they want from a city, they move to a different city (Houston Oilers, Seattle Supersonics, LA Rams, etc)

Along the same lines.... "fair weather fans" is constantly promoted, because NFL, MLB, NBA are gonna get their money either way.

Soccer teams around the World are usually very independent entities with their own finances.
They rely heavily on fans loyalty and will push for anything that will make fans feel like the team actually represents them and is part of them.

One example is Barcelona from Catalunya, something like Spain's Texas.
They constantly use the Catalunya flag on their uniform and speak the dialect of their region.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:11 AM

Yes with soccer clubs, the notion of the bottom line being first is a secondary thought. From an American perspective, they're bad business models but the fans love them.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:46 PM

373 posts, read 671,801 times
Quote:
Good lord, another soccer bashing thread? Ok, yes, soccer fans go mental, we get it. I also would like to say that when American anti soccer ragers bring up the fans it's almost with a sense of disgust, especially from the third world. Its as though they think they're above them and that our sports are superior because we have nice sanitized family friendly corporate sponsored events for a comfortable middle class. I'm not even talking about when these jokers talk about the unfortunate incident above, but when they see joyous displays of support like huge banners, flares, chanting and such. They describe it as though they're better than these other folk.

Seriously, these posts are just getting obvious now. The xenophobia, the chauvinism and the superiority complex just shines through most of them.
radio:
You have made some good statements in this Thread.
This, however, misses the mark completely.

I will never understand why remarks, such as yours in this post, sometimes are made at the most irrelevant of times. The OP was regarding the over-zealous behavior of fans that reaches the most of insane levels. In my view, clearly the aggressor in the video is someone who would at some point do something insane in a violent way to someone in the future. It just so happened that a soccer match was the setting, and in this present time.

It is relevant for it was during this year's World Cup and it was a soccer/football match.
Violence by fans at soccer matches happens at a much higher level and at a much higher frequency than other sports.
BrianH made some very good comments in his post regarding violence by fans at American sporting events.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/35448464-post19.html
Evil and stupid people are everywhere.
No one is suggesting it exists only in soccer/football nor is America nor other sports immune from this.

To suggest somehow that the OP was intended to somehow invoke status of class warfare is ridiculous. Statements like that have no place nor relevance in this Thread and are inflammatory for no educated reason. There always seems to be someone, somewhere to throw in a "Me vs the World" speech when the world is not against them. There always seems to be someone, somewhere to throw in a "Keep the Poor Man Down" speech when it has nothing to do with the subject and directed toward someone or group who is not like that at all. There is just no place for any of this in this Thread.

I hope you will be more responsible with your words going forward.
Words are such a collectively powerful thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or