U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 07:05 AM

260 posts, read 235,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I completely agree, 10 years ago everybody swore up and down that Ronaldinho was the new Pele... that only lasted a couple of years.
In terms of "All" around skill i still think Ronaldinho is second to none. Messi is like Jordan but Ronaldinho was like Oscar Robertson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 07:17 AM

7,549 posts, read 16,383,531 times
To who ? Ronaldihno was Godlike in his skills everytime he got the ball he was pretty much magic!

Old 07-11-2014, 09:05 AM

9,268 posts, read 5,765,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I completely agree, 10 years ago everybody swore up and down that Ronaldinho was the new Pele... that only lasted a couple of years.
Unfortunately he had a poor attitude and only had a few very good years in him! Much like Kaka, Robinho etc they sought money and ended up not fulfilling their potential for very long!

Old 07-11-2014, 11:55 AM

He did dip out a bit early but spent 6 years at Barca and 2 at Milan, he did do 3 at PSG but thats pre big moneybags so doesnt really count too much.

He wont the league at every team he played for, 5 league titles, Intertoto, , CL, WCC, and a couple of domestic cups. At international level he won COPPA America, WC, Confederations Cup and Superclasico. I am not sure how much more he couldve won to prove otherwise.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
He did dip out a bit early but spent 6 years at Barca and 2 at Milan, he did do 3 at PSG but thats pre big moneybags so doesnt really count too much.

He wont the league at every team he played for, 5 league titles, Intertoto, , CL, WCC, and a couple of domestic cups. At international level he won COPPA America, WC, Confederations Cup and Superclasico. I am not sure how much more he couldve won to prove otherwise.
He could have had a much longer career at a high level if he had more dedication.. he tailed off after 2008 really and was nowhere near his previous levels. He could have gone down as one of the real greats if he had more effort in my opinion.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:34 PM

He couldve went longer I think also, but hes still up there as one of the real greats to me. Many of the greats tapered off way too early imho.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:25 PM

I would put him in the top 10 players of the last 20 years perhaps

Old 07-11-2014, 03:37 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,534,996 times
Then who are the greats of all time? The top ten? From 1930-2014.

Who from the last decade would you include with Cryuff, Pele, Maradona and Beckenbaur.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:26 PM

I'm not sure about greats.. but from 2000 onwards my personal favourites are:

Zidane
Ronaldo (Brazilian)
Maldini
Cafu
Ronaldinho
Messi
Ronaldo

Old 07-18-2014, 06:22 AM

750 posts, read 919,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
He could have had a much longer career at a high level if he had more dedication.. he tailed off after 2008 really and was nowhere near his previous levels. He could have gone down as one of the real greats if he had more effort in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
He couldve went longer I think also, but hes still up there as one of the real greats to me. Many of the greats tapered off way too early imho.
Ronaldinho is easily top 5 in the past 20 years. Messi got all the best player awards but Ronaldinho is much better IMO. Messi have admitted in the past to have inspired on Ronaldinho. Messi is a great dribbler but I always got the feeling he is a little "programed" I don't know how to exactly put it, but it's almost like you can tell what he's going to do every time. Ronaldinho is nothing like that. He is unpredictable and I love the way there is no such a thing as not enough room for him. In Brazil he is constantly compared to Garrincha, which was overshadowed by the star of Pele, but many old time Brazilians consider him the best player ever. Garrincha was the palyer who led Brazil to the second WC win in 1962 after Pele was injured. He also said the WC was too easy

Garrincha - The King of Dribble - YouTube

It is also true that Ronaldinho got too complacent on his last years in Europe. To many problems in his personal life, the parties, the drop in dedication, all fueled by too much money and bad influence. Still, Dunga, the Brazilian coach in the 2010 WC was highly criticized for not bringing him to South Africa and we definitively missed him. That team had serious problems on creation in the mid-forward, which he could have solved. He was 30 years old back there but still in good shape. It was a shame he did not go to that WC. Then he went back to Brazil in 2011 and actually played pretty well for the past 3 years sharing the position of best player playing in Brazil with Neymar until recently. Last year Ronaldinho helped his club to win the Copa Libertadores, the most prestigious tournament in S. America. Once again, even at 34 years of age, fans, including myself, thought he should have played the WC in Brazil, but the stupid coach once again left him out. Such a shame for football.

Ronaldinho Tribute - Impossible to Forget HD.mp4 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or