U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 02:10 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,976,148 times

Advertisements

If a break out star is defined as a 'little-known player getting his first taste of stardom on a big international stage' I'd offer:

E. Valencia- ECUAD; Kokorin- RUSS; Depay, Blind, de Vrij- NETH; Musa, Onazi- NIG; Griezmann- FRAN; F.Johnson- USA.

But other fairly well-known players who really broke out in a world cup:

Shaqiri- SWITZ; Feghouli- ALG; Navas-CRICA; Pogba- FRAN; Candreva- ITAL; Kroos, Shurrle- GERM; James Rodriguez, Cuadrado- COLOMB

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ochoa was great but has been very well known for years and in some big tourneys, heck, I've seen him sponsoring 3 or 4 products on TV.

Sterling and Joel Campbell would qualify but just weren't good enough to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 02:54 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,722,360 times
How is James Rodriguez a break out star when Monaco paid 45 million Euros for him last year?

Old 07-09-2014, 03:07 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,781,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
How is James Rodriguez a break out star when Monaco paid 45 million Euros for him last year?
Monaco splashed the cash on quite a lot of players.

I think lots of people thought he was good, but nobody expected him to do as well as he did this world cup.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:46 PM

2,527 posts, read 5,066,744 times
James Rodriguez for sure!

Old 07-09-2014, 07:49 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,145,891 times
Yes. I'm with the others that nominated James Rodriguez. He's got a chance to be a huge star. Second, I liked Belguim's Kevin De Bruyne. Like James Rodriguez, De Bruyne is young and talented. He may also be a big football star.

-Cheers.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:48 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,400,231 times
So people who nominate James Rodriguez as a breakout star, the guy who joined Monaco for €45 million. Whats your definition of a breakout star, whats the cutoff ? If hes bought for $100 million or less he can be considered a virtually unknown player who had a star WC ?

Old 07-10-2014, 09:53 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,976,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
So people who nominate James Rodriguez as a breakout star, the guy who joined Monaco for €45 million. Whats your definition of a breakout star, whats the cutoff ? If hes bought for $100 million or less he can be considered a virtually unknown player who had a star WC ?
I think James Rodriguez totally qualifies as a breakout star because it's his first World Cup. I even mentioned Tony Kroos because it was the first major tournament where he was first-11 and played at such a high level.

Obviously, both guys are already known stars in Europe who are heavily rumored to be going to Real Madrid. Can you imagine adding these two, along with Falcao (also heavily rumored to Real) to Ronaldo and Bale? (not to mention Benzema and Isco). An embarrassment of attacking riches...

Old 07-10-2014, 11:36 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,722,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I think James Rodriguez totally qualifies as a breakout star because it's his first World Cup. I even mentioned Tony Kroos because it was the first major tournament where he was first-11 and played at such a high level.

Obviously, both guys are already known stars in Europe who are heavily rumored to be going to Real Madrid. Can you imagine adding these two, along with Falcao (also heavily rumored to Real) to Ronaldo and Bale? (not to mention Benzema and Isco). An embarrassment of attacking riches...
Every time somebody shines in the World Cup "Marca" (Madrid paper) has a front page saying "Real Madrid is about to sign him"
It's all a publicity stunt that I've seen them do for years.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:02 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,781,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Every time somebody shines in the World Cup "Marca" (Madrid paper) has a front page saying "Real Madrid is about to sign him"
It's all a publicity stunt that I've seen them do for years.
Unfortunately, more often than not they do sign the best players though.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:08 AM

6,252 posts, read 6,391,917 times
I thought it would be David Silva, or Benzema or even Fellaini from Belgium, but neither are in the final.

I will go with Miroslav Klose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or