Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 12:09 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
It's not really an opinion I am expressing it's a fact, if the big European clubs aren't happy they have the power to destroy FIFA and indeed the World Cup and by alienating the big clubs of Europe by messing around with seasons (as well as corruption) FIFA risk destroying themselves. There will be only one winner when it comes to FIFA/UEFA and the European Club Association.
I guess I don't understand what you were complaining about Americans for than. Are Americans saying that they want a Qatari World Cup and that seasons should be changed to accommodate it? I have seen the opposite talking with Americans (I am one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 01:14 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I guess I don't understand what you were complaining about Americans for than. Are Americans saying that they want a Qatari World Cup and that seasons should be changed to accommodate it? I have seen the opposite talking with Americans (I am one).
I am complaining because of misinformed rubbish like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99
So says the Brit! Look, I know England was terrible this year but you guys are WAY too hard on the Three Lions and have taken to completely bash the World Cup because of it. Yes, people care a lot about their clubs but to most the WC is where you show you're best and it still matters more. I've heard too many Englishmen banter on about for the WC is rubbish and its club teams where its at and what not but that's clearly coming from a bitter place. Club team is better football, I agree but don't rain on the WC just cus England is in a huge slump
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
No the season shouldn't suffer. I think Qatar should be stripped too. But the point is that I keep hearing English people say that the WC is nothing to club soccer. I think that while the football is better in club sports the big trophy is still and will always be the WC
Whether England did well in 2014 or not has no bearing on changing the season in 2022 and the same applies to European Leagues and European clubs. The World Cup is fine but once it starts encroaching on major domestic football leagues you have problems and don't expect the major European Clubs to start messing around with their season and finances in order to accommodate FIFA, and it's well known corruption.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:29 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
And this is what we will possibly miss out on if World Cup 2022 is held in Qatar . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iESkuTvATjk

Old 07-26-2014, 07:55 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
That will be a shame for sure!

Old 07-26-2014, 08:13 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
That will be a shame for sure!
That alone should be a Deal Breaker!

Old 07-27-2014, 03:58 AM

FIFA have even more problems now as Germany is talking about boycotting the 2018 World Cup in response to the Malaysian Airline Tragedy over Ukraine.

Angela Merkel's party say Russia should be stripped of 2018 World Cup after flight MH17 disaster - Telegraph

And some politicians in the UK and other countries are also openly discussing a boycott.

BBC News - World Cup should not be held in Russia, Nick Clegg says

Old 07-27-2014, 07:02 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
I doubt there would be a boycott, but for sure they should be stripped of their WC. They shouldn't have gotten it in the first place

Old 07-27-2014, 07:37 AM

750 posts, read 1,065,169 times
I think Russia win may have been legit though, it kind make sense to bring the WC back to Europe in 2018, but Qatar, I just can't make sense of it.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I doubt there would be a boycott, but for sure they should be stripped of their WC. They shouldn't have gotten it in the first place
It will be interesting to see what the FIFA Corruption Investigation findings will be in September, with former US Attorney Michael Garcia leading the investigation in to FIFA.

World Cup: FIFA corruption findings delayed until September | Football News | Sky Sports

I remember the 2010 BBC Panorama Investigation in to FIFA.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:55 AM

750 posts, read 1,065,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
It will be interesting to see what the FIFA Corruption Investigation findings will be in September, with former US Attorney Michael Garcia leading the investigation in to FIFA.

World Cup: FIFA corruption findings delayed until September | Football News | Sky Sports
If they can't strip the right of Russia to host it for shooting down a plane full of civilians, they surely won't strip Qatar for bribery allegations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer