U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 05:00 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,550,077 times

Advertisements

If the US really wants it they'll press the issue. The allegations of corruption will come to light. It's just too glaringly obvious. Read the letter a Penn senator sent to FIFA. It details how the corruption will be exposed and why the US is a better choice.

Hopefully it will change because if not there will be a mountain of evidence and a campaign to get FIFA to change it.

Plus I'm not even as sure about Russia hosting in 2018. That makes me wonder about corruption there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 06:05 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,779,060 times
I think pretty much everyone knows that corruption was involved in the bids.. it's an issue of Fifa doing something about it, which they won't as they are corrupt crooks themselves.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:27 PM

8,071 posts, read 5,400,786 times
And there is this:

'We want our pay,' say Qatar's exploited migrant workers | Global development | The Guardian

Old 07-10-2014, 07:09 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,708,653 times
Boy it's crazy that most everybody says the soccer world's governing body is corrupt yet things keep going on and on. Question is why is that the status quo? Should be time to throw the bums out. Sepp seems like he's untouchable! Amazing!

Old 07-11-2014, 06:34 AM

2,739 posts, read 3,272,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I heard the same thing about England hosting it in 2018 and USA in 2022 because they would have to redo both years.

I doubt the place will get changed, though. This is Fifa we are talking about and all they care about is the money in their pockets!
If bribery has the final say as to where the World Cup is held, then hey . . . let's "out-bribe" the bribers!

I'm sure the USA can out-bribe the best of the best bribers. Add to that the fact that the USA can make the bribers a Godfather-like "offer they can't refuse." After all, rumor has it that Qatar has harbored a few terrorists and oh . . . there is that petroleum issue of theirs which may require a little redistribution.

I'm being sarcastic of course!

Old 07-11-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
If bribery has the final say as to where the World Cup is held, then hey . . . let's "out-bribe" the bribers!

I'm sure the USA can out-bribe the best of the best bribers. Add to that the fact that the USA can make the bribers a Godfather-like "offer they can't refuse." After all, rumor has it that Qatar has harbored a few terrorists and oh . . . there is that petroleum issue of theirs which may require a little redistribution.

For the good of the sport, I would much rather it was in USA than Qatar.

At least USA has some history of playing the game, and it would be far better than playing in desert conditions with 45C temperatures and ridiculous laws against homosexuality, drinking and women!

Old 07-11-2014, 09:14 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,422,926 times
Quote:

Gulati (head of US Soccer) said he wants the World Cup in the US, but will no longer engage in bids unless changes are made at FIFA regarding how things are done.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:18 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,974,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Boy it's crazy that most everybody says the soccer world's governing body is corrupt yet things keep going on and on. Question is why is that the status quo? Should be time to throw the bums out. Sepp seems like he's untouchable! Amazing!
I think everyone agrees with this but executives really are untouchable. There are thousands of banking, finance and other corporate execs who commit crimes all the time like money-laundering for drug cartels but they rarely ever get prosecuted. They can gather such huge legal teams and even if they were to lose, the penalty would hit average employees harder with lost jobs, so enforcement bows out and focuses on easy targets like the 'little guy.'

Old 07-11-2014, 10:50 AM

2,739 posts, read 3,272,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
For the good of the sport, I would much rather it was in USA than Qatar.

At least USA has some history of playing the game, and it would be far better than playing in desert conditions with 45C temperatures and ridiculous laws against homosexuality, drinking and women!
Hey . . . for that matter, I'd rather see the 2022 World Cup to take place in North Korea over Qatar!

All it would take is for Dennis Rodman (Kim Jong-Un's Papi Chulo) to convince him to place a bid for the 2022 World Cup.

In the very least, Jong-Un could throw his weight around by pointing his nuclear arsenal at FIFA headquarters.

Now that's an offer FIFA would not dare refuse!

Old 07-11-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Hey . . . for that matter, I'd rather see the 2022 World Cup to take place in North Korea over Qatar!

All it would take is for Dennis Rodman (Kim Jong-Un's Papi Chulo) to convince him to place a bid for the 2022 World Cup.

In the very least, Jong-Un could throw his weight around by pointing his nuclear arsenal at FIFA headquarters.

Now that's an offer FIFA would not dare refuse!

I could see key players from opponents that North Korea are playing going 'mysteriously missing' though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or