U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2014, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Castlederp
9,268 posts, read 5,776,386 times
Reputation: 2911

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Two words.

Cheetah racing.
Public stoning of women more likely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2014, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Fairfax, Va
245 posts, read 256,223 times
Reputation: 127
This is the world cup not the western world cup. Every country should have a chance to host.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2014, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Castlederp
9,268 posts, read 5,776,386 times
Reputation: 2911
That's true.. but countries with a history or the game should surely come first.

Countries with no moral laws, such as most of the middle east, should learn to advance and evolve from some of ridiculous laws they have on homosexuality, women etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 02:56 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
2,739 posts, read 2,603,087 times
Reputation: 1434
Embarrassing for Sepp Blatter being booed by a whole stadium after the World Cup Final. FIFA have tried keeping him out the way as every time he shows his face he is booed by whole stadiums.

In terms of Qatar, it's a country with a population of 2.5 million and is right next door to the terrorist hub that is Saudi Arabia so is a security nightmare, it has no real football league of any consequence, indeed it's stadiums and facilities will probably be left to rot following the 2022 World Cup and it's too hot to play football there in the summer which means FIFA risk the wrath of football fans around the world by requesting the World Cup be played in the winter thereby disrupting football seasons.

I think FIFA seem to think the World Cup takes precedent over everything, well it doesn't, indeed for most people their club and season is what really counts. I can live quite happily without the World Cup but couldn't say the same about the annual league and Domestic/European competitions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,551 posts, read 16,394,400 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
This is the world cup not the western world cup. Every country should have a chance to host.
No they shouldnt, it has to be within reason. SA should never host the WC again, empty stadiums and too many poor people to make it exciting. The vuvzellas or whatever they where called ruined it. I watched the games with the sound turned down. Countries like Brazil shouldnt be turned upside down just to host a tournament for an organisation that has a billion in the bank.

Nations like Quatar shouldn't be on the radar, they dont play the game and there is no way to boost the game there as the nation is so small. Weather wise it will make for a terrible cup. You have to think of the quality of play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 08:13 AM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,882,570 times
Reputation: 2779
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
No they shouldnt, it has to be within reason. SA should never host the WC again, empty stadiums and too many poor people to make it exciting. The vuvzellas or whatever they where called ruined it. I watched the games with the sound turned down. Countries like Brazil shouldnt be turned upside down just to host a tournament for an organisation that has a billion in the bank.

Nations like Quatar shouldn't be on the radar, they dont play the game and there is no way to boost the game there as the nation is so small. Weather wise it will make for a terrible cup. You have to think of the quality of play.
While every match was not sold out, well over 90% of total tickets available to all matches were sold. By and large the stadiums appeared to be mostly full from what could be seen on TV. After the group stage you saw a lot less European fans in attendance and for good reason; the sheer cost of getting down to Brazil and dealing with the insane hotel policies during the World Cup meant a lot of fans did not make the trip. Apart from Greece and Bosnia-Herzegovina, all of the European teams had solid traveling support during the group stage.

I don't see why South America, a soccer mad continent, should not get to host a future World Cup.

Apart from Germany in 2006, every World Cup I can recall has had some empty seats during matches.

Apart from the fact that Qatar has never qualified into the finals, you have the labor situation in building the stadiums and infrastructure and also the heat. Unless they make all of their stadiums climate controlled domes, people will complain about the weather.

The one good thing about Qatar as I have said before is the fact that all of the venues will be in close proximity which means fans will have to do very little traveling to follow their team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 08:43 AM
 
4,456 posts, read 3,706,933 times
Reputation: 3109
Qatar to host!

Kind of smart no? I mean lots of 'Qatarians' will be watching there. They'll be part of the spectacle. PT Barnum(FIFA!) knows you have to get them in the tent to spend money.
I don't know. Maybe a couple of million coming here in the States to sink in on a team
Qatar US United????? ...;-)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 10:26 AM
 
10,097 posts, read 7,546,557 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Embarrassing for Sepp Blatter being booed by a whole stadium after the World Cup Final. FIFA have tried keeping him out the way as every time he shows his face he is booed by whole stadiums.

In terms of Qatar, it's a country with a population of 2.5 million and is right next door to the terrorist hub that is Saudi Arabia so is a security nightmare, it has no real football league of any consequence, indeed it's stadiums and facilities will probably be left to rot following the 2022 World Cup and it's too hot to play football there in the summer which means FIFA risk the wrath of football fans around the world by requesting the World Cup be played in the winter thereby disrupting football seasons.

I think FIFA seem to think the World Cup takes precedent over everything, well it doesn't, indeed for most people their club and season is what really counts. I can live quite happily without the World Cup but couldn't say the same about the annual league and Domestic/European competitions.
So says the Brit! Look, I know England was terrible this year but you guys are WAY too hard on the Three Lions and have taken to completely bash the World Cup because of it. Yes, people care a lot about their clubs but to most the WC is where you show you're best and it still matters more. I've heard too many Englishmen banter on about for the WC is rubbish and its club teams where its at and what not but that's clearly coming from a bitter place. Club team is better football, I agree but don't rain on the WC just cus England is in a huge slump
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Florida
1,748 posts, read 1,657,015 times
Reputation: 1774
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
While every match was not sold out, well over 90% of total tickets available to all matches were sold. By and large the stadiums appeared to be mostly full from what could be seen on TV. After the group stage you saw a lot less European fans in attendance and for good reason; the sheer cost of getting down to Brazil and dealing with the insane hotel policies during the World Cup meant a lot of fans did not make the trip. Apart from Greece and Bosnia-Herzegovina, all of the European teams had solid traveling support during the group stage.

I don't see why South America, a soccer mad continent, should not get to host a future World Cup.

Apart from Germany in 2006, every World Cup I can recall has had some empty seats during matches.

Apart from the fact that Qatar has never qualified into the finals, you have the labor situation in building the stadiums and infrastructure and also the heat. Unless they make all of their stadiums climate controlled domes, people will complain about the weather.

The one good thing about Qatar as I have said before is the fact that all of the venues will be in close proximity which means fans will have to do very little traveling to follow their team.
I think that BrianH was referring to South Africa when he stated SA and not South America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Florida
1,748 posts, read 1,657,015 times
Reputation: 1774
And, I'm of the mindset now that after 2 WCs ripe with collusion and bad press in the run up to the tournaments (plus lack of infastructure and stadia), the WC should not be passed around to countries that can't handle it. I feel that countries that have the stadiums already in place and have a strong national league should be rotated hosting the tourney. Places like UK, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, US, Australia, and even Brazil if they can keep what they've now already built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top