U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Status: "Love, Goodness, and Kindness Will Prevail . . ." (set 13 hours ago)

2,741 posts, read 3,273,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
So it is about Xenophobia and Islamophobia isn't it!!! Why do you think there are a lot of foreigners from Europe, NA and Asia living in Qatar then? Why they don't endure this discrimination, as you call it. Why are they not considered infidels and when visitors will come they will be considered infidels

Why do you think Qatar hosts international events like the Moto GP race

Qatar does not have a dress code
Grid Girls Photos - MotoGp of Qatar - Zimbio
Alcohol is not fully banned, and foreign communities hold parties. Learn about the country before reaching conclusions based on media lies

If Israel qualified for the world cup they will be treated as other teams except maybe some whistles and boos .

There are a lot of countries that can host the world cup but FIFA is constantly choosing hosts based on politics and not on performance
Xenophobia? Hardly! The World Cup is all about humanity coming together for a brief moment of joy and peace in the absence of politics and religions.

Islamophobia? Call it what you wish. Some would rather not visit a country whose religion designates those who don't believe as they believe as "infidels worthy of death."

And as has mentioned before, there is this one little problem called ISIS who have made their position very clear:

ISIS to FIFA: Cancel the World Cup or We'll Bomb It | Vocativ

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 08:04 PM

245 posts, read 256,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Xenophobia? Hardly! The World Cup is all about humanity coming together for a brief moment of joy and peace in the absence of politics and religions.

Islamophobia? Call it what you wish. Some would rather not visit a country whose religion designates those who don't believe as they believe as "infidels worthy of death."

And as has mentioned before, there is this one little problem called ISIS who have made their position very clear:

ISIS to FIFA: Cancel the World Cup or We'll Bomb It | Vocativ

Why do you think the infidels, as you call them , who are still living in Qatar increasing by the day or who come as tourists are still alive and not murdered by ISIS, your ultimate fear

Old 07-14-2014, 08:19 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,780,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post

[url=http://www.vocativ.com/culture/religion/isis-tells-fifa-cancel-qatari-world-cup-face-scuds/]ISIS to FIFA: Cancel the World Cup or We'll Bomb It | Vocativ[/url]

Agreed

Old 07-14-2014, 09:59 PM
Status: "Love, Goodness, and Kindness Will Prevail . . ." (set 13 hours ago)

2,741 posts, read 3,273,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
Why do you think the infidels, as you call them , who are still living in Qatar increasing by the day or who come as tourists are still alive and not murdered by ISIS, your ultimate fear
Why? Because ISIS is a relatively nascent movement whose intentions to create a "Caliphate" across the Arab world is in its infancy. But of course, let's hope and pray to Allah, Buddah, Jehova, - take your pick - that their so called "Caliphate" dreams do not proceed as planned.

Should ISIS spread as intended, that alone would/should negate the possibility of a 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

Thank you for your civil exchange of thought.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:15 AM

2,739 posts, read 2,604,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
No the season shouldn't suffer. I think Qatar should be stripped too. But the point is that I keep hearing English people say that the WC is nothing to club soccer. I think that while the football is better in club sports the big trophy is still and will always be the WC
Seasons will suffer if they start moving them it's as simple as that, most European Football seasons are tightly run affairs and are very traditional and to be honest the big cup is less and less the world cup which is increasingly mired in controversy and corruption and more team level football, with people simply becoming sick of the likes of Sepp Blatter, just look at the way Blatter is booed off every time he shows his face, he booed at every game he went to in Brazil including the Final, was Booed at the Confederation Cup is booed off in England and what does he turn around and say 'respect the authority', well I am sorry I have no respect and oil rich corrupt Qatar a country with a population less than Greater Manchester in England or Chicago in the US being given the entire world cup despite temperature reaching up to 120 degrees in Summer smacks of corruption to me, whilst it's also going to be a security nightmare being directly next door to Saudi Arabia.

Furthermore it's not English people saying this, it's the big clubs throughout Europe and most people have resigned themselves to the development of a European Super League, which will most likely be run by the clubs themselves rather than UEFA or FIFA. Indeed as I have already pointed out and which was pointed out in the article I quoted the future of the entire World Cup doesn't lie with FIFA it lies with the big European Clubs who can simply walk away if they are not happy and refuse to release players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Mirror

At the Leaders in Football conference in October, Galatasaray chairman Unal Aysal gave an even bigger hint at what could happen if clubs are unhappy with the decision - or other decisions that FIFA and UEFA make, when he declared the need for a 20 team European Super League either with or without the support of UEFA.

The current agreement between UEFA and the European Club Association runs out in 2018, and Aysal said: “The system has to be put in place, either by UEFA or the clubs themselves. Then we will decide if a breakaway will be necessary or not.”

And if there is a European or World Super League before the Qatar World Cup, and outside of the realms of UEFA and FIFA, what then for international football?

Would it continue to be run by FIFA, with footballers not playing in FIFA sanctioned tournaments being allowed to take part? Or would international football continue, just without the top players?

It seems to me that the business people who own and run Europe’s biggest clubs - away from the dream situation of fan owned clubs in Germany- are becoming more and more frustrated with having to dance with FIFA’s tune. And UEFA’s. And their local FA’s.

Could the 2022 Qatar World Cup force a European super league - and even spell the end of international football? - Miles Jacobson - Mirror Online
Finally it's quite amusing how some Americans think just because they reached the last 16 they can suddenly preach to the world about football. It was England who helped establish international football and the world cup, and the world cup started in a lesser form in about the 1930's becoming more popular in the 1950's with Television.

FIFA World Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In terms of Club football in England, there is a real passion with clubs dating back to the 1850's and the league dating back to 1888 and being very important too fans. Whilst in terms of some of the greatest games I have ever seen they were European Chamionship games rather than World Cup Games, and even historically you have had legendary European Games with players such as George Best, arguably one of the greatest players ever (who never played in the Word Cup) and the sad thing is we may see more great players not playing in World Cups due to UEFA and FIFA falling out with the European Club Association and being seen as corrupt and unethical by most genuine football fans.

The Football League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Bamford; 07-15-2014 at 02:55 AM..

Old 07-15-2014, 05:45 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,657,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Seasons will suffer if they start moving them it's as simple as that, most European Football seasons are tightly run affairs and are very traditional and to be honest the big cup is less and less the world cup which is increasingly mired in controversy and corruption and more team level football, with people simply becoming sick of the likes of Sepp Blatter, just look at the way Blatter is booed off every time he shows his face, he booed at every game he went to in Brazil including the Final, was Booed at the Confederation Cup is booed off in England and what does he turn around and say 'respect the authority', well I am sorry I have no respect and oil rich corrupt Qatar a country with a population less than Greater Manchester in England or Chicago in the US being given the entire world cup despite temperature reaching up to 120 degrees in Summer smacks of corruption to me, whilst it's also going to be a security nightmare being directly next door to Saudi Arabia.

Furthermore it's not English people saying this, it's the big clubs throughout Europe and most people have resigned themselves to the development of a European Super League, which will most likely be run by the clubs themselves rather than UEFA or FIFA. Indeed as I have already pointed out and which was pointed out in the article I quoted the future of the entire World Cup doesn't lie with FIFA it lies with the big European Clubs who can simply walk away if they are not happy and refuse to release players.

Finally it's quite amusing how some Americans think just because they reached the last 16 they can suddenly preach to the world about football. It was England who helped establish international football and the world cup, and the world cup started in a lesser form in about the 1930's becoming more popular in the 1950's with Television.

FIFA World Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In terms of Club football in England, there is a real passion with clubs dating back to the 1850's and the league dating back to 1888 and being very important too fans. Whilst in terms of some of the greatest games I have ever seen they were European Chamionship games rather than World Cup Games, and even historically you have had legendary European Games with players such as George Best, arguably one of the greatest players ever (who never played in the Word Cup) and the sad thing is we may see more great players not playing in World Cups due to UEFA and FIFA falling out with the European Club Association and being seen as corrupt and unethical by most genuine football fans.

The Football League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Don't forget Giggsy...another great who never got to be in a WC.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Don't forget Giggsy...another great who never got to be in a WC.
Giggsy was another. Great player though and in a totally different league to the likes of David Beckham imho.

Gareth Bale is another and I am sure there have been numerous others

Old 07-15-2014, 10:49 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,423,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with the final 16, it is because people have opinions on topics. Our world advances by sharing knowledge and new ideas. Some might suck, others may be great.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:23 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,709,227 times
Quote:
Indeed as I have already pointed out and which was pointed out in the article
I quoted the future of the entire World Cup doesn't lie with FIFA it lies with
the big European Clubs who can simply walk away if they are not happy and refuse
to release players.
I'd subscribe to that assessment. Another thing is the physical stamina of the players themselves and how many games they play in a year. When your paying millions of pounds to players that's a big investment a team is making. And really when you come down to it all 'football' is local. I mean the WC is nice but the people and players live and die for their own leagues.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with the final 16, it is because people have opinions on topics. Our world advances by sharing knowledge and new ideas. Some might suck, others may be great.
It's not really an opinion I am expressing it's a fact, if the big European clubs aren't happy they have the power to destroy FIFA and indeed the World Cup and by alienating the big clubs of Europe by messing around with seasons (as well as being known for being corrupt) FIFA risk destroying themselves.

There will be only one winner when it comes to FIFA/UEFA and the European Club Association. Whether the Big European Clubs breakaway in 2018 and start a new European Super League without FIFA and UEFA interference remains to be seen, but if you start messing around with big clubs seasons then they may well form their own super league, with the possbility of not releasing players for WC's, meaning the WC will just become an all so ran amateur hour type event.

Furthermore this has nothing to do with being English and more to do with being European. Most Europeans would not be happy if there football season started to be interfered with by FIFA. Anyone who pretends otherwise has no comprehension of how passionate fans are for their own individual clubs and this includes many fans of big clubs throughout Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I'd subscribe to that assessment. Another thing is the physical stamina of the players themselves and how many games they play in a year. When your paying millions of pounds to players that's a big investment a team is making. And really when you come down to it all 'football' is local. I mean the WC is nice but the people and players live and die for their own leagues.
I totally agree - clubs are not going to be happy about being payed less television rights or losing their traditional season due to FIFA's corruption and demands. They are already not happy about some of FIFA's and UEFA's interference and the fact that their star players can be injured during international duties. Most clubs already dislike releasing players for internationals.

Last edited by Bamford; 07-15-2014 at 12:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or