U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 02:12 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,390,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
I would not call best football either the whole game of Nigeria vs Ira or 10 minutes of Netherlands vs Argentina in the WC. One game, or just few minutes of it, does not speak for the quality of a tournament. I'm not saying it is nice as the WC or eurocup, but you are missing it if you are a truly soccer fan. That Argentina Olympic champions of 2004 and 08 were very good.
The Netherlands - Argentina game was football of the highest quality for the full 120 minutes. It may not have been the most entertaining game if you're into attacking football but both sides played one of their best games, objectively speaking. There were hardly any defensive mistakes or misplaced passes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 02:35 PM

750 posts, read 920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
But if you want to believe that the Olympics is top quality football played by the cream of the crop youngsters + 3 major super stars, go right ahead.
Again, you seem to be thinking of European football as the center of world, when it is not.

I actually agree with you, the football in the Olympics gets too much competition in your side of the world because of the Eurocup. It is not the same in South America. The Copa America does not normally overlap with the Olympics, so teams can consistently select 3 stars over 21 to play. I don't think it overlaps with the Golden Cup in North America either, can't speak for Asia and Africa.

There is no such a thing as too much football for a fan like me

BTW, unlike the WC, second and third do count in the Olympics

Last edited by Indyking; 07-16-2014 at 02:45 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
The Netherlands - Argentina game was football of the highest quality for the full 120 minutes. It may not have been the most entertaining game if you're into attacking football but both sides played one of their best games, objectively speaking. There were hardly any defensive mistakes or misplaced passes.
I see it differently. Excessively defensive games by both sides are almost always boring. I have no problems with a 0x0 game when teams have some attitude/strategy to breach the defense, a good example was Brazil 0x0 Mexico, but that semi was hardly comparable. I was about to fall asleep during that game. They respected way too much each other. Argentina completely changed their attitude towards Germany in the final, which was a much better game by far.

IMO, that semi was the worse I can remember in a WC.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:01 PM

For those who think that Olympic Football is ignored by the rest of the world outside Europe, perhaps you want to check the stats

In the same article you will find:

"The widely anticipated “Great Golden Final” between Brazil and Mexico on Saturday, August 11, at 10am ET ranked as the most-watched Olympic event in the history of the network, averaging 3.6 million total viewers, and ranked as the highest-rated delivery among all of Telemundo’s weekend daytime soccer telecasts in the network’s history"

Old 07-16-2014, 03:26 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,539,902 times
I'm with indyking on this one. I just saw most of the Brazil vs mexico final and really liked it. It was good football. It also had a lot of good stars; Hulk, Oscar, Peralta, Dos Santos, Neymar and Thiago Silva. Exciting game.

I'm gonna be watching the Olympic Soccer games for sure.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Again, you seem to be thinking of European football as the center of world, when it is not.

I actually agree with you, the football in the Olympics gets too much competition in your side of the world because of the Eurocup. It is not the same in South America. The Copa America does not normally overlap with the Olympics, so teams can consistently select 3 stars over 21 to play. I don't think it overlaps with the Golden Cup in North America either, can't speak for Asia and Africa.
You're the one who thinks the Olympics are a serious football tournament because America sends good teams. And that Brazil U23 vs. Mexico U23 had more quality than the WC semi-final. And you accuse me of Eurocentrism? Something tells me you wouldn't value the Olympics so much if European teams were actually competitive. Kind of like how non-Europeans cling to the Confed Cup or the Club World Cup as if it has any real meaning, lol.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Just saw five mins of the Great Britain vs Senegal Olympic game. Not what I would call the best football.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I'm with indyking on this one. I just saw most of the Brazil vs mexico final and really liked it. It was good football. It also had a lot of good stars; Hulk, Oscar, Peralta, Dos Santos, Neymar and Thiago Silva. Exciting game.

I'm gonna be watching the Olympic Soccer games for sure.
That didn't take much.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
You're the one who thinks the Olympics are a serious football tournament because America sends good teams. And that Brazil U23 vs. Mexico U23 had more quality than the WC semi-final. And you accuse me of Eurocentrism? Something tells me you wouldn't value the Olympics so much if European teams were actually competitive. Kind of like how non-Europeans cling to the Confed Cup or the Club World Cup as if it has any real meaning, lol.
Are you kidding? In case you haven't noticed I responded to the OP by saying that I find the Eurocup to have better quality than Copa America, I'm not anti-European football at all.

All I'm saying is that the Olympic football is not useless or of poor quality and facts won't change that just because you don't like it.

It appears that you never actually watched it, how can you speak for its quality? So, that final between Mexico and Brazil was the most watched olympic event ever in the US, which has a pretty big Olympics audience, but you are still thinking I value it because the Europeans do poorly? Clearly, I'm the only one who values it.

BTW, if nothing else, seems to me that Netherlands fans should be at least start paying attention to their young soccer players, or are you all still waiting for the big "aging trio" to win something?

Oh, here is a litte good read for you:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/two-goo...234209170.html

http://www.mlive.com/sports/index.ss...ina_makes.html

Straight from one of the articles:

"For all those casual soccer fans, this one probably wasn't for you. For the soccer detractors, this one was most certainly for you, because you can hate the sport more now.
The two teams combined to take just 15 shots. The Dutch put just one on frame.
And ... and ... and ...
Look, bad games like this just happen sometimes"

The last Olympic final wasn't just a little better than the boring semifinal that filled socia media worldwide with naping jokes, it was astronomically better.

Last edited by Indyking; 07-16-2014 at 05:05 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding? In case you haven't noticed I responded to the OP by saying that I find the Eurocup to have better quality than Copa America, I'm not anti-European football at all.
I never accused you of being anti-European. You were the one who instantly assumed I must be Eurocentric if I don't think the Olympics are a serious football tournament, when there are plenty of valid arguments to support my position.

Quote:
All I'm saying is that the Olympic football is not useless or of poor quality and facts won't change that just because you don't like it.
Read this sentence again, it doesn't make sense Facts won't change it just because I don't like it?

Compared to all the other international football tournaments out there, the Olympics certainly are not among the most prestigious. Would you at least agree to that?

Quote:
It appears that you never actually watched it, how can you speak for its quality? So, that final between Mexico and Brazil was the most watched olympic event ever in the US, which has a pretty big Olympics audience, but you are still thinking I value it because the Europeans do poorly? Clearly, I'm the only one who values it.
It was the most watched Olympic event on Telemundo, which is no surprise considering Mexico was in the final and Mexico is rather irrelevant in other Olympic events. Doesn't disprove my suggestion that Americans tend to value these tournaments more because they do well in it.

When a tournament reserves half of its spots for Asian and African teams and gives a guaranteed spot to Oceania, when it primarily features U23 players, when European countries don't send their best possible teams, when countries participate that have no hope of making a WC (China, UAE, Gabon, Belarus, etc.), can you really blame me for questioning the relevance of the tournament? Sure, some games may be highly entertaining but the lack of real competition harms the overall quality.

Quote:
BTW, if nothing else, seems to me that Netherlands fans should be at least start paying attention to their young soccer players, or are you all still waiting for the big "aging trio" to win something?
Our guys won a silver and bronze medal, you of all people should appreciate that

I'm not that worried about the next generation considering half of our WC team consisted of young Eredivisie players.

Quote:
Oh, here is a litte good read for you:

Y! SPORTS

World Cup 2014: Argentina gets past Netherlands and into the final, but victory sure is ugly | MLive.com

Straight from one of the articles:

"For all those casual soccer fans, this one probably wasn't for you. For the soccer detractors, this one was most certainly for you, because you can hate the sport more now.
The two teams combined to take just 15 shots. The Dutch put just one on frame.
And ... and ... and ...
Look, bad games like this just happen sometimes"

The last Olympic final wasn't just a little better than the boring semifinal that filled socia media worldwide with naping jokes, it was astronomical better.
Again, none of that is relevant. I already said it may not have been the most entertaining game for people who like attacking football but boring does not mean poor quality. Personally, I find this view of football incredibly childish but that is just me. Defense is just as essential to football as offense. People who appreciate a proper defense enjoyed that Netherlands - Argentina game. I've heard people refer to it as a "tactical masterpiece", although that's pushing it imo.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:15 PM

As far I'm concerned, WC does not grant medals, and you don't want to argue WC achievements with me

The record of audience was not in telemundo, you got that wrong, it was at nbc in the US.

And if you like ultra defensive soccer, what can I say. Soccer has evolved and changed a lot but the very defensive part of it can never be claimed as the jogo bonito, the beautiful game. Any team these days can defend well.

I actually have relatives that went to the stadium in that semi and they are still complaining about the wasted money.

Last edited by Indyking; 07-16-2014 at 06:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or