U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 02:57 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,781,687 times

Advertisements

I only wish that FIFA disbanded and a new governing body was set up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 11:51 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,553,480 times
Can US national team win 2016 Copa America Centenario? Clint Dempsey says it can happen | MLSsoccer.com

Looks like the 100th Centennial of the Copa America might be bigger than we thought. Sponsors will be clamming to ham this up as much as possible so we might see the big American teams being their big stars!

It will be exciting cus Brazil will want to win after their disastrous performance at the WC. US Soccer will want another repeat of the WC. I think it will be hot!

Old 07-20-2014, 04:06 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,059,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The MLS thread and the style of US soccer is also a heavy debate among fans. You going in there and saying that you're glad the WC is over so Americans can return to their senses is not serious debate.
Sure it is.

Are you saying that Harrier is not entitled to his honest opinion?

If you don't believe that Belgium vs. U.S.A. was the best game, then state your reasons.

Other people explained why they thought that other games were better, and Harrier didn't attack them, but you attacked Harrier.

Why?

Old 07-20-2014, 04:54 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,781,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Sure it is.

Are you saying that Harrier is not entitled to his honest opinion?

If you don't believe that Belgium vs. U.S.A. was the best game, then state your reasons.

Other people explained why they thought that other games were better, and Harrier didn't attack them, but you attacked Harrier.

Why?
Huh?

Old 07-20-2014, 05:40 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,553,480 times
Exactly. Huh?

Old 07-21-2014, 03:53 AM

10,433 posts, read 12,439,655 times
33 of the 45 most expensive (35 million euro+) football players today are European.

Cristiano Ronaldo
Gareth Bale
Luka Modric
Mesut Ozil
Marco Reus
Thomas Muller
Cesc Fabregas
Mario Gotze
Robert Lewandowski
Toni Kroos
Andres Iniesta
Eden Hazard
Paul Pogba
Karim Benzema
Wayne Rooney
Sergio Ramos
Robin van Persie
Manuel Neuer
David Silva
Juan Mata
Koke
Sergio Busquets
Franck Ribery
Mats Hummels
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Isco
David Alaba
Diego Costa
Marek Hamsik
Gerard Pique
Sami Khedira
Vincent Kompany
Axel Witsel

Old 07-21-2014, 09:55 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,424,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
33 of the 45 most expensive (35 million euro+) football players today are European.

Cristiano Ronaldo
Gareth Bale
Luka Modric
Mesut Ozil
Marco Reus
Thomas Muller
Cesc Fabregas
Mario Gotze
Robert Lewandowski
Toni Kroos
Andres Iniesta
Eden Hazard
Paul Pogba
Karim Benzema
Wayne Rooney
Sergio Ramos
Robin van Persie
Manuel Neuer
David Silva
Juan Mata
Koke
Sergio Busquets
Franck Ribery
Mats Hummels
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Isco
David Alaba
Diego Costa
Marek Hamsik
Gerard Pique
Sami Khedira
Vincent Kompany
Axel Witsel

Interesting. Where is this sourced from, I'm curious. What does the top 10 look like?

Old 07-21-2014, 10:30 AM

358 posts, read 360,319 times
I always wished that soccer had more importance in the Olympics. I love watching the Olympics.

I don't think they even broadcast Olympic soccer here in the U.S., do they? I only see gymnastics, swimming, track, volleyball...

They should allow full senior teams in the Olympics. I mean, being an Olympian and winning a medal is just huge.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:42 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,885,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
I always wished that soccer had more importance in the Olympics. I love watching the Olympics.

I don't think they even broadcast Olympic soccer here in the U.S., do they? I only see gymnastics, swimming, track, volleyball...

They should allow full senior teams in the Olympics. I mean, being an Olympian and winning a medal is just huge.
You will never see full squads like those seen in the World Cup, or the Euros. As it stands right now, most European leagues run for 8 plus months a year. You throw in the fact that every other summer there's a major soccer tournament (the World Cup and Euro) and it would be too much. I don't think the players, nor their clubs would want them to be participating in the Olympics.

The Olympics by and large are a stage where niche sports that most people don't care about (curling, swimming, diving, archery, rowing, etc.) can have their moment in the spotlight. Soccer already has their major tournament - the World Cup. That is far more important to the players and fans than the Olympics.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:47 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,885,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I had no idea the Olympic soccer games were that big.

That sucks about Copa America. What about Copa America Chile 2015?

And whats this about Euro Cup being the 2nd most prestigious event after the WC? Really? So there will be mostly A level squads playing?
The UEFA Euro is the second most prestigious soccer tournament after the World Cup and there is little debating that. Every country that's involved will send their best squads, just as the do for the WC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or