U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 01:53 PM

358 posts, read 359,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
You will never see full squads like those seen in the World Cup, or the Euros. As it stands right now, most European leagues run for 8 plus months a year. You throw in the fact that every other summer there's a major soccer tournament (the World Cup and Euro) and it would be too much. I don't think the players, nor their clubs would want them to be participating in the Olympics.

The Olympics by and large are a stage where niche sports that most people don't care about (curling, swimming, diving, archery, rowing, etc.) can have their moment in the spotlight. Soccer already has their major tournament - the World Cup. That is far more important to the players and fans than the Olympics.
In my opinion, the Olympics should be considered a major tournament with full senior teams. I know the UEFA Championship is a big deal, but it should be scheduled during non-Olympic years.

You can make excuses about niche sports, but I suspect the real reason the Olympics isn't a major tournament is because FIFA can't make as much money from it. It would be important to players and fans if FIFA allowed it to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 01:58 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,389,655 times
There are already plenty of tournaments for Football, the Olympics should stay clear.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:18 PM

358 posts, read 359,904 times
What do you mean by "stay clear"? That they should drop the sport? Soccer has been in the Olympics since 1900.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:35 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,771,793 times
Olympics football is just meaningless, when they made it u23 that was the problem, and it has never really been prestigious anyway

Old 07-21-2014, 05:36 PM

750 posts, read 920,170 times
I love how popular and global football is, but you can hardly blame Americans for not making "soccer" super popular in their country when you have Europeans who claim to be passionate fans but are totally oblivious of the importance and significance of the game elsewhere.

For South America, the Olympics mean football | Sports | DW.DE | 25.07.2012

My favorite highlights of this article:

"Historically, South America has been one of the less successful regions in terms of medals won, but several important factors have turned football into one the most important and successful Olympic sports for the continent in recent years"

"While many countries see events like swimming, track and field, and gymnastics as the marquee Olympic sports, for South Americans the focus is on the football. That has been particularly true since the mid 1980's"

"Brazil's success in the 1980's was a precursor to South America's renewed interest and success in Olympic football beginning in the 1990's. Since the 1992 games, professionals have been allowed to compete. In that time, South American teams have won seven out of 15 total medals in football, more than any other region"

"Football is the thing that South America does well, and because of that, there is an emphasis on it"

"Unlike in Europe, South American countries have their footballers playing all over the world. That dispersion means tracking young talent is done through youth national teams more so than at the club level. As a result, South Americans follow their youth sides much more closely"

Old 07-21-2014, 09:02 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,541,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
In my opinion, the Olympics should be considered a major tournament with full senior teams. I know the UEFA Championship is a big deal, but it should be scheduled during non-Olympic years.

You can make excuses about niche sports, but I suspect the real reason the Olympics isn't a major tournament is because FIFA can't make as much money from it. It would be important to players and fans if FIFA allowed it to be.
He's right. It's mainly an event for niche sports to have their day.

And for some odd reason only Americans in the US consider the Olympics to be the greatest sporting event, an opinion most people around the world find laughable since they know the World Cup is the most prestigious athletic event. Fifa probably knows better than to mess with the Olympics when they have to deal with the Euro and Copa America. The Euro and the Champions League are third behind the WC.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:34 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,389,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
What do you mean by "stay clear"? That they should drop the sport? Soccer has been in the Olympics since 1900.
Yes, there is nothing in it. whats the point ?

There are youth tournaments already that are in teh same format as the senior tournaments, they hold more meaning than the Olympics.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:19 AM

9,268 posts, read 5,771,793 times
I think the Olympics having sports such as golf, football etc is just silly.

The Olympics is supposed to be the pinnacle of a particular sport.. it is clear that for golf, football etc this is not the case. The Olympics should not be undermined by having these sports included

Old 07-22-2014, 08:56 AM

10,424 posts, read 12,419,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Interesting. Where is this sourced from, I'm curious. What does the top 10 look like?
1.Messi
2.C.Ronaldo
3.Bale
4.Neymar
5.Suarez
6.Falcao
7.Cavani
8.Modric
9.Fabregas
10.Reus

Old 07-22-2014, 10:23 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,419,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
1.Messi
2.C.Ronaldo
3.Bale
4.Neymar
5.Suarez
6.Falcao
7.Cavani
8.Modric
9.Fabregas
10.Reus
I didn't realize how high Falcao and Modric were on the list...I should have based on the teams they play for, but I didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or