U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-15-2014, 01:26 PM
 
10,097 posts, read 7,534,996 times
Reputation: 5225

Advertisements

Hi all,

In your opinion what would be the better investment? Saving up to travel to France to catch the EuroCup 2016 or staying in the States to watch the Centennial Copa America 2016?

I would rather go to Euro Cup seeing that there are more, better teams and I could cheer on my favorite team since I was a kid: France. I also really like the new young England squad. Even though they were hammered in the press for not being up to par, I really think they will shine in the future.

With Copa America you have USA, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia and Brazil. That's seven interesting teams for watch out for. I am in California and can make all the games in Pasadena and Palo Alto. I also have family in Houston and can watch a game at the Reliant Stadium the week I visit.

Copa America might sound like the better deal since I will root for USA and Chile (my 2nd fav of the American teams), but with EuroCup I hear it's a much bigger experience on par with the World Cup in terms of it's excitement and atmosphere.

your thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2014, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Florida
1,748 posts, read 1,654,831 times
Reputation: 1774
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Hi all,

In your opinion what would be the better investment? Saving up to travel to France to catch the EuroCup 2016 or staying in the States to watch the Centennial Copa America 2016?

I would rather go to Euro Cup seeing that there are more, better teams and I could cheer on my favorite team since I was a kid: France. I also really like the new young England squad. Even though they were hammered in the press for not being up to par, I really think they will shine in the future.

With Copa America you have USA, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia and Brazil. That's seven interesting teams for watch out for. I am in California and can make all the games in Pasadena and Palo Alto. I also have family in Houston and can watch a game at the Reliant Stadium the week I visit.

Copa America might sound like the better deal since I will root for USA and Chile (my 2nd fav of the American teams), but with EuroCup I hear it's a much bigger experience on par with the World Cup in terms of it's excitement and atmosphere.

your thoughts?
The European Championship is the 2nd most prestigious international competition in the world behind the WC. The CopaAmerica is not. Additionally, don't get your hopes up on the locations. The article on Wiki states that the stadiums are only suggestions and there would be a bidding process to determine the actual stadia.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,422 posts, read 12,409,364 times
Reputation: 4851
Countries like Scotland, Sweden and Serbia are not even in the top 16 of Europe.
Number 16 to 20 best of Americas = El Salvador, Trinidad & Tobago, Haiti, Jamaica and Cuba
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 01:53 PM
 
750 posts, read 919,681 times
Reputation: 201
I can give you my 2 cents from a Brazilian prospective.

Eurocup is a much better tournament than Copa America in general and the short explanation is that a lot of teams in South America don't put a lot of effort to win Copa America.

The national teams are really more worried to preserve their players for the very difficult South America qualifiers for the WC and the clubs where the players come from in Europe or in their countries tend to put pressure on the players encouraging them not to play.

I also think the idea of having the Centennial Copa America in 2016 was stupid because it will overlap with the Olympic games in Rio, and that will draw all major young stars (U23) from the Copa America to the Olympics. Don't forget all teams can take up to 3 players over 23 years old, typically they pick their stars, so Messi, Neymar, etc are all likely to go to the Olympics.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 01:59 PM
 
10,097 posts, read 7,534,996 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
I also think the idea of having the Centennial Copa America in 2016 was stupid because it will overlap with the Olympic games in Rio, and that will draw all major young stars (U23) from the Copa America. Don't forget all teams can take up to 3 players over 23 years old, typically they pick their stars, so Messi, Neymar, etc are all likely to go to the Olympics.
What?!! Who's bright idea was it to have this tournament going on during the Summer Olympics AND the Euro Cup? What a waste!

And the teams do not care about the Copa? So basically the entire Copa America will be played by the countries B squad?

Euro Cup looks HUGE! Even the worst teams like Sweden, Scotland and Poland are fun to watch against bigger teams like France and Italy.

I don't care for the Copa America if all I am going to get is the B squad from Brazil and USA. I would pay and travel to want to see Alexis Sanchez, Neymar, Suarez, Messi and Clint Dempsey.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 02:09 PM
 
750 posts, read 919,681 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
What?!! Who's bright idea was it to have this tournament going on during the Summer Olympics AND the Euro Cup? What a waste!

And the teams do not care about the Copa? So basically the entire Copa America will be played by the countries B squad?

Euro Cup looks HUGE! Even the worst teams like Sweden, Scotland and Poland are fun to watch against bigger teams like France and Italy.

I don't care for the Copa America if all I am going to get is the B squad from Brazil and USA. I would pay and travel to want to see Alexis Sanchez, Neymar, Suarez, Messi and Clint Dempsey.
I would say Brazil is likely to go with their team C and I won't be surprised if our rivals do the same. Brazil focus on summer of 2016 will be the Olympics at home, maybe we can redeem from the failure in the WC because that is the only trophy we don't have. Winning it at home would be awesome. Also the South America qualifiers for the 2018 WC will be in full motion in 2016 and I find them to be the most difficult with only 4 guaranteed spots and essentially at least 7 good teams fighting for them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 02:15 PM
 
10,097 posts, read 7,534,996 times
Reputation: 5225
I had no idea the Olympic soccer games were that big.

That sucks about Copa America. What about Copa America Chile 2015?

And whats this about Euro Cup being the 2nd most prestigious event after the WC? Really? So there will be mostly A level squads playing?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 02:22 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
2,942 posts, read 4,388,837 times
Reputation: 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
What?!! Who's bright idea was it to have this tournament going on during the Summer Olympics AND the Euro Cup? What a waste!

And the teams do not care about the Copa? So basically the entire Copa America will be played by the countries B squad?

Euro Cup looks HUGE! Even the worst teams like Sweden, Scotland and Poland are fun to watch against bigger teams like France and Italy.

I don't care for the Copa America if all I am going to get is the B squad from Brazil and USA. I would pay and travel to want to see Alexis Sanchez, Neymar, Suarez, Messi and Clint Dempsey.
Scotland and Poland are third tier teams, they rarely qualify for the Euro. They may have a shot now that the tournament is expanded but we'll see.

The Euro 2012 final was watched by 300 million people around the world. I could not find ANY statistics about the Copa America but I can assure you it's nowhere near that high.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 02:27 PM
 
10,097 posts, read 7,534,996 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Scotland and Poland are third tier teams, they rarely qualify for the Euro. They may have a shot now that the tournament is expanded but we'll see.

The Euro 2012 final was watched by 300 million people around the world. I could not find ANY statistics about the Copa America but I can assure you it's nowhere near that high.
300 million? That's like three Super Bowls here in the States! That's pretty huge. That means a little less than half the population of Europe saw the final.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 02:29 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
2,942 posts, read 4,388,837 times
Reputation: 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I had no idea the Olympic soccer games were that big.
They're not. Olympic football is played by U23 teams and Asia and Africa have almost as many spots as Europe (4 vs. 3.5). It's not a serious tournament but I suppose that it has some value if it's the only thing you haven't won yet (as it is for Brazil). Especially since the Olympics will be held in Brazil next.

Quote:
And whats this about Euro Cup being the 2nd most prestigious event after the WC? Really? So there will be mostly A level squads playing?
Why do you pretend to be completely ignorant of football sometimes? It's annoying.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top