U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 04:51 PM

750 posts, read 919,791 times

Advertisements

I find any football ranking foolish. How is it that Brazil finishes in 4th in the WC and the teams that finished behind are ahead in the ranking? People will say, well that's because it's accumulated from the recent accomplishments before the WC, well Brazil was the confederations cup champion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 05:15 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,536,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
I find any football ranking foolish. How is it that Brazil finishes in 4th in the WC and the teams that finished behind are ahead in the ranking? People will say, well that's because it's accumulated from the recent accomplishments before the WC, well Brazil was the confederations cup champion.
But they were also the team most scored upon, I believe. I mean ten goals in two games?

Old 07-17-2014, 05:20 PM

Don't think goal advantage count at all, just the results.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:36 PM

11,435 posts, read 6,398,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
How it should be...
1.Germany
2.Argentina
3.Netherlands
4.Colombia
5.France
6.Belgium
7.Brazil
8.Chile
9.Spain
10.Costa Rica
11.Uruguay
12.Mexico
13.Italy
14.Portugal
15.England
16.Switzerland
17.USA
18.Croatia
19.Ecuador
20.Greece
I like this list, seems just about right

Old 07-17-2014, 07:53 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,766,479 times
Quote:
They took heavy beatings.

Also I don't think anybody thinks that Brazil are a top 4 team.. very lucky to even make the the top 10 at the moment if you ask me.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
They took heavy beatings.

Also I don't think anybody thinks that Brazil are a top 4 team.. very lucky to even make the the top 10 at the moment if you ask me.
Again, 7x1 or 1x0 is the same as far as the idiotic ranking is concerned. They count points and different games have different weights. To say that Brazil is lucky to be in top 10 is even more foolish than the ranking itself, it's complete unawareness of world football. They were the winners of confederation cup declaring the end of tiki-taka hegemony and took a 4th place in the WC after having the most difficult opponents in the round of 16 and quarterfinals.

But, you know, I love people who cares for rankings like this, because next time a low ranked defeats a top ranking team, I love the perplexity in their faces and the expression of how come? It's wonderful, I have seen it happen so many times and will see again!

Old 07-18-2014, 07:28 AM

Costa Rica knocked out Italy, England, Greece and beat Uruguay, four sides placed in the top 12 positions of the Fifa Rankings before the WC (Uruguay – 7th, Italy – 9th, England – 10th, Greece – 12th).

Lovely.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Again, 7x1 or 1x0 is the same as far as the idiotic ranking is concerned. They count points and different games have different weights. To say that Brazil is lucky to be in top 10 is even more foolish than the ranking itself, it's complete unawareness of world football. They were the winners of confederation cup declaring the end of tiki-taka hegemony and took a 4th place in the WC after having the most difficult opponents in the round of 16 and quarterfinals.

But, you know, I love people who cares for rankings like this, because next time a low ranked defeats a top ranking team, I love the perplexity in their faces and the expression of how come? It's wonderful, I have seen it happen so many times and will see again!
They won the confederations cup, but then Spain haven't been at their best for a while now.. it was no feat really. Plus nobody else cares as much about eh confederations cup as Brazil, they are expected to give 100% as host nation.

I do not think they are in the top 10 at all, and I watch a lot of football. Far better teams out there. Chile arguably should have beat them, and again they never looked great against Colombia. If they had played real superpowers before the SF they would have been knocked out far earlier

Old 07-18-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
They won the confederations cup, but then Spain haven't been at their best for a while now.. it was no feat really. Plus nobody else cares as much about eh confederations cup as Brazil, they are expected to give 100% as host nation.

I do not think they are in the top 10 at all, and I watch a lot of football. Far better teams out there. Chile arguably should have beat them, and again they never looked great against Colombia. If they had played real superpowers before the SF they would have been knocked out far earlier
Again, the ranking use mathematic formulas based on results, not what you or anybody else thinks who is better or not. There is no criteria in the ranking that say, well, Spain is not been playing that well anymore, so that win is not important. They were the world champions back there and No. 1 in the ranking.

You may watch a lot of football but you seem to understand nothing about who is a "superpower". Brazil's group stage (GS) in the WC wasn't a breeze, you know, Croatia has a very good team and Mexico were the ones who had to be robbed (or should I say "Robben"ed) to pass Netherlands in the Round of 16. Chile, in the round of 16, was the best team by far that qualified in the second spot during the GS. Colombia could have easily reached the semi, have they not crossed Brazil of course. No other team had such a difficult path to the semis.

And there comes the silly debate about Chile deserving that win again, I thought that was reserved just for what I called "temporary WC fans", not someone who watches a lot of soccer like you claim. Oh well, Chile was beaten by shots on goal, shots on target, goalie defenses, in every criteria, yet, because a ball in the cross bar in the last minute, people that wanted Chile to win badly, thought they deserved. Hardly! The Swiss also hit the bar in the last minute against Argentina in the Round of 16 but the Argies reached the final. As the commentator of the ESPN said when Chile scored... "what a stunner! Brazil had complete control of the match"

Last edited by Indyking; 07-18-2014 at 10:31 AM..

Old 07-18-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Again, the ranking use mathematic formulas based on results, not what you or anybody else thinks who is better or not. There is no criteria in the ranking that say, well, Spain is not been playing that well anymore, so that win is not important. They were the world champions back there and No. 1 in the ranking.

You may watch a lot of football but you seem to understand nothing about who is a "superpower". Brazil's group stage (GS) in the WC wasn't a breeze, you know, Croatia has a very good team and Mexico were the ones who had to be robbed (or should I say "Robben"ed) to pass Netherlands in the Round of 16. Chile, in the round of 16, was the best team by far that qualified in the second spot during the GS. Colombia could have easily reached the semi, have they not crossed Brazil of course. No other team had such a difficult path to the semis.

And there comes the silly debate about Chile deserving that win again, I thought that was reserved just for what I called "temporary WC fans", not someone who watches a lot of soccer like you claim. Oh well, Chile was beaten by shots on goal, shots on target, goalie defenses, in every criteria, yet, because a ball in the cross bar in the last minute, people that wanted Chile to win badly, thought they deserved. Hardly! The Swiss also hit the bar in the last minute against Argentina in the Round of 16 but the Argies reached the final. As the commentator of the ESPN said when Chile scored... "what a stunner! Brazil had complete control of the match"
If football were a results business.. England would be regarded as a superpower though. We rarely lose at major tournaments and before 2010 had been beaten only by eventual winners/finalists/semifinalists on penalties since 2002..

Anybody who watches football can see that Brazil is not a great team and there are many better than them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or