U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:16 AM

9,268 posts, read 5,779,060 times

Advertisements

It has always been a winter sport here.. the optimum temperature to play football is probably about 11-13C and cloudy.. which suits our late Autumn/winter season pretty well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 10:21 AM

7,834 posts, read 6,650,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Would it be any different than playing in the winter in Sunderland or Newcastle?

That argument doesn't hold water. We are no colder than the UK in the winter.
The northern states are colder than the UK in the winter months, including Sunderland and Newcastle (its becuase of the gulf stream).

Old 07-28-2014, 10:36 AM

750 posts, read 920,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
It has always been a winter sport here.. the optimum temperature to play football is probably about 11-13C and cloudy.. which suits our late Autumn/winter season pretty well
I agree with that but I guess we are talking about what makes sense for the MLS. Football in Europe is just like NFL in the US as far as popularity and expectations as far as weather, but it just don't fit with the reality of the MLS. I'm pretty sure changing the MLS to winter season would hurt the league.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:50 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,423,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
I agree with that but I guess we are talking about what makes sense for the MLS. Football in Europe is just like NFL in the US as far as popularity and expectations as far as weather, but it just don't fit with the reality of the MLS. I'm pretty sure changing the MLS to winter season would hurt the league.
Agreed. An MLS season timing move would put the bulk of the season up against the NFL, NBA, NHL, and EPL, which would likely hurt the already dismal TV ratings. Then, you look at the strong suit of the MLS, live game attendance, and you make it a significantly worse experience for fans in the northeast and midwest (probably 12 teams)...actually unbearable for some of those teams (Chicago, Toronto, etc). I just don't see how this move would benefit the overall league in any way.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:07 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,779,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
That's probably true actually. Until it (if) takes over your other main sports, it would not be able to compete with them

Old 07-31-2014, 07:37 PM

2,849 posts, read 3,941,049 times
Many north European leagues take a winter break, e.g., the Netherlands Eredivisie schedule no matches in January. But as mentioned earlier, the Gulf Stream keeps northern Europe at a milder winter climate than it does the USA. Matches in January in UK are often played in light rain (drizzle), not snow blizzards with -30F temps. Some Dutch friends of mine say that rivers in the Netherlands only freeze over once every 3 to 4 years. That certainly something that can't be said about New England, or Ohio, or Minnesota.

No, keep MLS a summer league. Only boring baseball and low-attendance WNBA to compete against. Gridiron is the sport for winter. People get liquored up and can sit in their woolens, ogling the "cheerleaders" in their spandex leggings. Occasionally, something happens on the field.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:16 AM

28 posts, read 14,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthejetplane View Post
The addition of Orlando City and NYCFC will no doubt be very beneficial for the league. I don't care what anyone says, but these team's abilities to attract star talent to the league is good for it to gain media and fan attention. It also makes it more attractive for American players to stay in the league. (Zusi and Besler)

Some teams have been able to stay strong attendance and attention-wise from the get go since their addition. (Seattle, Portland, Montreal, Vancouver) Others have always stayed strong, however some have not. Granted there are a variety of reasons and factors based on a franchises success and fanbase, but there appear to be some large holes in the current league regarding teams and their fanbases.

First, let me start off, through my observations, that soccer is growing as very exponential rates within the country. There is no denying this. In fact, I would dare say the base for soccer fandom is already very large, especially in areas with poor attendance. What the MLS has to realize is that this fandom is very urban based and hence venues and teams need to be urban friendly as possible in order to build strong support for their club.

The two main teams I will point to in my example are DC United and New England Revolution. The main arguments will raise points around how the current stadiums and venues are hurting the club and the league. DC United has had one of the strongest fan bases in the history of the MLS. Granted they just had a dreadful season, they have rebounded to second place in the East this year but still show abysmal attendance numbers. I have talked with DC United fans and observed other fans talk about their team. The main issue tends to revolve around holding games at RFK Stadium. The stadium is old, located far from the city center in a less than ideal neighborhood. I have heard around three times that many DC residents want to go to games but the less than ideal location and commute makes it rather challenging. There are new plans for a stadium in SW Washington but the city council is evidently making this as hard as possible.

Now onto the Revs. Out of all the teams in the MLS, the Revs very well might take the cake for most inconvenient location. Gillett Stadium is very much outside the Boston metro and is only accessible by car. This franchise idea of gathering around the region of "New England" instead of the Boston metro area has been a mistake from the get-go. Though slumping right now, the Revs have proven themselves as a competitive team the past two years. Their location has however been a large hamper in their ability to make it a attractive team. I have heard hotchpotch rumors about a stadium in Boston, but it really hasn't amount to much yet.

Overall, teams, such as the ones I pointed out, need to rally around stadiums that make it suitable for a supporting fanbase and the league needs to take this heart and PUSH for it. I see a lot of wasted potential in teams like the Revs and DC United, especially when they are playing well. If the MLS wants the hope of growing more into a league that will be better respected globally, it needs to channel the urban fanbase that keeps it alive and make games more accessible to such environments.
Nice information you have given. Its true that MLS have a great attention from its fans, but inspite of that it needs some more effet and new strategy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer