U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 03:34 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,775,237 times

Advertisements

Lots of stadia and money for one. Out of 1st world countries, USA has by far the biggest population.. so that probably says something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 04:52 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,143,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Seattle Seahwks... wow the author knows an awful lot about the MLS.

Don't read a lot into preseason games (mostly bench players play anyway), the MLS is still a joke compared to Europe. Heck, it's even a joke compared to the Mexican league. Look at the Concachampions -CONCACAF Champions League- results; best by an American team is runner up in 2011 (Dynamo).

It's improving, but some preseason games and hiring a few veterans here and there is not what makes a good league. It will take time, a lot of time, but if a country can pull it off it's the US of A. I know they don't want to run into the NFL, but I think syncing the league's calendar with the rest of the world could help.
You're kidding, right? MLS is a joke? Also, MLS is a joke compared to the MEX league?

Old 07-30-2014, 07:08 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,544,951 times
MLS is not a joke. For the short amount of time it rose up to be a good league, I have to say that speaks volumes.

I would say MLS is well on its way to be a top league in the next ten years. If enough investment is put in, you guys think it could top the EPL?

Old 07-31-2014, 06:49 AM

424 posts, read 212,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I would say MLS is well on its way to be a top league in the next ten years. If enough investment is put in, you guys think it could top the EPL?
Yeah the investment part is the key. The growth and passion fans showed of our World Cup team is the key to ensuring the MLS moves up the charts in terms of league strength.

There are a lot of variables at play here. Without the fan support the league will flounder or at least stay as an average or below average league. In addition --- Americans like winners. But that doesn't mean we can just bring over a Messi (for example- I know it's not going to happen) and everyone will love the league. There has to be a mix of really good international players and home grown US players. We have a ways to go.... and it won't happen over night.

But if there is one country that could seriously make a challenge to some of the top leagues its the USAs. Why? Because if people will come (fans and players alike) the money will be there.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:12 AM

750 posts, read 920,403 times
Apparently Ronaldinho is about to join the NY Red Bulls.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:42 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,706,160 times
You know I think we'd really know if MLS has made it when players who can play in say the the EPL come here when they're career is starting or blooming and not in their 'golden' years!
Now that would be a coup. But the MLS us coming along. Not a chump league at all.

Anybody see that Liverpool game last nite at Yankee Stadium? Nice win but also importantly the crowd draw there hit about 50,000. Higher than The Yanks!!! Baseball is dying my friends..;-) ...looks like .a new world is dawning.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:58 AM

983 posts, read 1,366,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
You're kidding, right? MLS is a joke? Also, MLS is a joke compared to the MEX league?
Yes. Which is why MLS teams constantly lose to Mexican teams when it's a competitive event. You should watch some Mexican footie, level is definitely a notch above MLS.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:01 AM

983 posts, read 1,366,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
If there's a relatively new league that can do that, it has to be the MLS. First world, huge population, lots of money. I believe it's doable. But in 10 years? I don't think so.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:33 AM

9,268 posts, read 5,775,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Apparently Ronaldinho is about to join the NY Red Bulls.
He is way past it.. not good IMO

Old 07-31-2014, 08:36 AM

750 posts, read 920,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
He is way past it.. not good IMO
He actually had a pretty good season in Brazil last year and is still in good shape. I think he can still be a star in the MSL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer