U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2014, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Castlederp
9,268 posts, read 5,779,060 times
Reputation: 2911

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
The most regular team always wins a league format and sometimes (probably more often than not) it also happens to be the best team, but not always. There is too much extra factors at play in a cup playoff that make a better team to be eliminated by a weaker opponent sometimes. History is full of good examples of that.

So, in Brazil there is this debate about getting back to our roots, whis is the cup format for our Serie A. I'm one of those who defend it because, to me, that had always been our soccer identity. The argument against it, especially by the smaller teams, is that the big guys with lots of fans tend to have a lot more support in the palyoff games and that is just not fair.
I think that the cups in respective countries are made for that reason.. IMO Knockout football destroys the point of a league
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2014, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,551 posts, read 16,397,409 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I think that the cups in respective countries are made for that reason.. IMO Knockout football destroys the point of a league
I agree, cups and leagues should be separate.
In the US there is no proper cup outside of the MLS proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2014, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Castlederp
9,268 posts, read 5,779,060 times
Reputation: 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I agree, cups and leagues should be separate.
In the US there is no proper cup outside of the MLS proper.
I agree.. perhaps something the MLS could do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2014, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,551 posts, read 16,397,409 times
Reputation: 5087
There needs to be a legit national cup, the US Open should be revamped or MLS teams should not be in it. Its so bad teams bid on home games ... freakin ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2014, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Castlederp
9,268 posts, read 5,779,060 times
Reputation: 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
There needs to be a legit national cup, the US Open should be revamped or MLS teams should not be in it. Its so bad teams bid on home games ... freakin ridiculous.
I didn't know that.. wow that seems a bit unusual!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2014, 11:32 PM
 
1,496 posts, read 1,502,030 times
Reputation: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
I'm pretty sure I know that.




You actually answered your own question! Even though you may not like playoffs in soccer, it is still the system in place in all major sport leagues in the US. People love playoffs here. The long league style with everybody playing each other at home and on the road can be boring and frustrating for some fans. It works well in Europe because a good percentage of teams are good quality and very popular, so the games are good, but still, even the EPL, La Liga, Seria A, etc have some painful games to watch between 2 weaker teams during the season. I'm just not sure the MLS would be ready for that.
Playoffs are used in other sports In Europe as well. Rugby for instance.

I was simply saying that just because I enjoy playoffs in American football and Baseball doesn't mean I want it in soccer. I'm taking issue with your comment that America has a playoff culture. I disagree. College football didn't have playoffs for over 100 years. They recently added playoffs not because America has a playoff culture but because fans of American football view the sport through a regular season/playoff narrative.

It doesn't matter that playoffs are used in every major sport in America. It matters how fans of soccer in this country see the sport of soccer. Maybe they prefer playoffs. But if they preferred playoffs wouldn't the TV ratings show it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2014, 06:04 AM
 
750 posts, read 920,683 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
It doesn't matter that playoffs are used in every major sport in America. It matters how fans of soccer in this country see the sport of soccer. Maybe they prefer playoffs. But if they preferred playoffs wouldn't the TV ratings show it?
I don't think the low TV ratings has anything to do with the presence or lack of playoffs in the MLS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2014, 08:45 AM
 
Location: IL
2,992 posts, read 4,422,926 times
Reputation: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
Playoffs are used in other sports In Europe as well. Rugby for instance.

I was simply saying that just because I enjoy playoffs in American football and Baseball doesn't mean I want it in soccer. I'm taking issue with your comment that America has a playoff culture. I disagree. College football didn't have playoffs for over 100 years. They recently added playoffs not because America has a playoff culture but because fans of American football view the sport through a regular season/playoff narrative.

It doesn't matter that playoffs are used in every major sport in America. It matters how fans of soccer in this country see the sport of soccer. Maybe they prefer playoffs. But if they preferred playoffs wouldn't the TV ratings show it?
I think the real reason NCAA football is moving to playoffs is that there is no good way to say which team is best. There are too many teams, they all can't play each other, and the computer models are based on assumptions that help some teams and hurt others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2014, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Castlederp
9,268 posts, read 5,779,060 times
Reputation: 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
I don't think the low TV ratings has anything to do with the presence or lack of playoffs in the MLS.
Yeah.. it is simply the quality of play
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2014, 11:37 PM
 
1,496 posts, read 1,502,030 times
Reputation: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
I don't think the low TV ratings has anything to do with the presence or lack of playoffs in the MLS.
Of course it does. When you make the regular season meaningless why should I tune in to watch it? There's no table to follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top