U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2014, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Castlederp
9,268 posts, read 5,798,147 times
Reputation: 2911

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
Of course it does. When you make the regular season meaningless why should I tune in to watch it? There's no table to follow.
I agree.. I mean there is little point in playing a league table if it counts for nothing in the end
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2014, 05:53 AM
 
750 posts, read 922,052 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
Of course it does. When you make the regular season meaningless why should I tune in to watch it? There's no table to follow.
What!?! The regular season in the MLS is not meaningless. The top teams qualify to the playoffs. What are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2014, 02:42 PM
 
1,496 posts, read 1,505,879 times
Reputation: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
What!?! The regular season in the MLS is not meaningless. The top teams qualify to the playoffs. What are you talking about?
Of course its meaningless. It doesn't matter if you finish 2nd or 8th in MLS. They dump all the teams into playoffs to decide league champion. Why should i tune in to watch the regular season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2014, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,552 posts, read 16,416,577 times
Reputation: 5092
You still have to qualify, theyre not just dumped so its not meaningless by any stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2014, 05:43 AM
 
750 posts, read 922,052 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
Of course its meaningless. It doesn't matter if you finish 2nd or 8th in MLS. They dump all the teams into playoffs to decide league champion. Why should i tune in to watch the regular season?
No! First the league has the Support's Shield trophy for the champion and the positions are also important to decide qualification for the champions league. Second, the 4th and 5th positions in the league have to play a playoff game to qualify to the cup semifinals. Finally, the positions are also important to decide who plays the last and deciding game at home during the semis and finals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2014, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,552 posts, read 16,416,577 times
Reputation: 5092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
No! First the league has the Support's Shield trophy for the champion and the positions are also important to decide qualification for the champions league. Second, the 4th and 5th positions in the league have to play a playoff game to qualify to the cup semifinals. Finally, the positions are also important to decide who plays the last and deciding game at home during the semis and finals.
Now the supporters shield is actually meaningless. Teams dont play each other two times to see who is the best so the Supporters Shield like a majority of the made up cups within MLS are are made up and absolutely stupid. Granted there is a CL position but there is nothing to prove they are the best team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2014, 07:42 AM
 
750 posts, read 922,052 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Now the supporters shield is actually meaningless. Teams dont play each other two times to see who is the best so the Supporters Shield like a majority of the made up cups within MLS are are made up and absolutely stupid. Granted there is a CL position but there is nothing to prove they are the best team.
Yeah, but still, it's the top position in each conference that gets it, so it's not like the positions don't matter at all as mentioned before, but I agree it does not necessarily goes to the best team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2014, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,552 posts, read 16,416,577 times
Reputation: 5092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Yeah, but still, it's the top position in each conference that gets it, so it's not like the positions don't matter at all as mentioned before, but I agree it does not necessarily goes to the best team.
MLS is very enjoyable, I just hate the made up trophies. Supporters Shield, RM Cup etc etc. None of them really mean much to me. There is too much emphasis on give a trophy to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2014, 09:40 AM
 
750 posts, read 922,052 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
MLS is very enjoyable, I just hate the made up trophies. Supporters Shield, RM Cup etc etc. None of them really mean much to me. There is too much emphasis on give a trophy to everyone.
Well, the cup trophy should matter and I think it does. It looks like the teams with the best attendance and TV ratings are the ones that have won the MLS cup at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2014, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,552 posts, read 16,416,577 times
Reputation: 5092
Winning the MLS Cup matters and thats all. You can be indifferent all season long in the group stage and qualify for the playoff's and win it. Colorado did that in 2010 with half the budget of the next lowest team. Literally, the only thing that matters is the MLS Cup.

We have the Rocky Mountain Cup and MLS drums it up like its a big deal. Its not, its stupid. Its a forced rivalry. The ONLY reason I want to beat them is to get 9 points off them and qualify for the MLS Cup. Having a Rocky Mountain Cup like it matters anything is just plain stupid. Same thing with all cups between two teams.

Im not arguing either if I am coming off that way, after reading back. I kinda agree with you but think we need major changes to make it a league that others will enjoy not just the core we have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top