U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 12:47 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,557,655 times

Advertisements

Most of the world is poor, sadly and most of the world loves soccer. That's why it's considered the people's sport, a "poor mans sport" or a working class sport.

A lot grow up in countries where the rich mostly but not always play sports like polo, tennis, rugby and such.

Of course watching the sport and being a big fan of a club transcends class, race and sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 04:16 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,785,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Most of the world is poor, sadly and most of the world loves soccer. That's why it's considered the people's sport, a "poor mans sport" or a working class sport.

A lot grow up in countries where the rich mostly but not always play sports like polo, tennis, rugby and such.

Of course watching the sport and being a big fan of a club transcends class, race and sex.
It is, but in my opinion it is just loved by everyone.. I don't see a particular trend where money relates to love of football, it just appears to be the unfortunate case that many of the countries such as Brazil are not so well developed

Old 08-05-2014, 06:16 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,595,116 times
Soccer not connected to class or race? That may be true in Europe but I don't see how so many are saying that here in America. Soccer in America is played almost totally by middle class white kids (usually in suburbs, small towns or more wealthy cities) and latinos of all classes.

Poor (non hispanic) urban kids are totally not into soccer here in the States. Most poor rural kids Black and White here in the South also are not into soccer at all.

This is especially sad because we all know that a very huge chunk of if not the majority of America's best athletes come from poor urban and rural backgrounds.

I can go to a well to do suburb in Atlanta right now and strike up a conversation with a lot of people that are into soccer but in inner city it's all basketball or american football. As a matter of fact I would be very hard pressed to find a young Black kid in the inner city that was even willing to talk about soccer.

As an African American man I just am not seeing much love at all for the sport among my demographic. And it's not so much even that they don't like it it's almost like soccer doesn't exist at all to them. They just don't think about it, talk about it or watch it. I'm wondering seriously how America is supposed to jump to the next level in soccer when it's not appealing to the groups that have been the work horse in all our most popular sports.

Last edited by Galounger; 08-05-2014 at 06:25 PM..

Old 08-05-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Soccer not connected to class or race? That may be true in Europe but I don't see how so many are saying that here in America. Soccer in America is played almost totally by middle class white kids (usually in suburbs, small towns or more wealthy cities) and latinos of all classes.

Poor (non hispanic) urban kids are totally not into soccer here in the States. Most poor rural kids Black and White here in the South also are not into soccer at all.

This is especially sad because we all know that a very huge chunk of if not the majority of America's best athletes come from poor urban and rural backgrounds.

I can go to a well to do suburb in Atlanta right now and strike up a conversation with a lot of people that are into soccer but in inner city it's all basketball or american football. As a matter of fact I would be very hard pressed to find a young Black kid in the inner city that was even willing to talk about soccer.

As an African American man I just am not seeing much love at all for the sport among my demographic. And it's not so much even that they don't like it it's almost like soccer doesn't exist at all to them. They just don't think about it, talk about it or watch it. I'm wondering seriously how America is supposed to jump to the next level in soccer when it's not appealing to the groups that have been the work horse in all our most popular sports.
I'm sure in the future that will change.. I hope so anyway.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I'm sure in the future that will change.. I hope so anyway.
I honestly hope so too.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:21 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,425,296 times
Quote:

I wonder if that will change after a pro soccer team comes to Atlanta...

Old 08-06-2014, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I wonder if that will change after a pro soccer team comes to Atlanta...
Atlanta's American football team and Basketball team get huge support from it's African American community.

I think it's safe to say you will see more Black people in the stands at a Falcons game than any other NFL team.

Atlantans are obsessed with the idea of having a championship team here. With the exception of the Braves that's something we don't have and we are constantly reminded of that over and over again by other fans.

If a soccer team were to win a Championship here they would become the darlings of the community and I'm pretty sure that would include a lot of Black people as well.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
I honestly hope so too.
As the sport progresses it is inevitable, it is still in its infancy stage at the moment

Old 08-06-2014, 08:31 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,425,296 times
Quote:
Atlanta's American football team and Basketball team get huge support from it's African American community.

I think it's safe to say you will see more Black people in the stands at a Falcons game than any other NFL team.

Atlantans are obsessed with the idea of having a championship team here. With the exception of the Braves that's something we don't have and we are constantly reminded of that over and over again by other fans.

If a soccer team were to win a Championship here they would become the darlings of the community and I'm pretty sure that would include a lot of Black people as well.
It's amazing how good the Braves have been for so long. Do they still get good support in Atlanta? I'm just wondering if certain sports speak to certain groups of people more than others...

Old 08-06-2014, 09:28 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,557,655 times
The African American community in low income areas have just not been exposed to soccer as much as other communities. The reason why I think that can easily change and African American youth would love soccer is because I have never once heard anyone in the AA community bash it. They're not against soccer at all and would be cool with having a convo about the little they might know. That's worlds apart a difference from trying to talk to middle class conservative reactionary guy who thinks soccer is a wussy sport meant to derail American culture.

If soccer was introduced to the AA community more than we would have a lot more soccer stars, that's for sure.

The problem is that like I've been saying over and over again, soccer in the US, for it to mean anything you have to pay big bucks. Competitive youth club soccer at the high level is expensive! That's why most professional soccer players in the US tend to be white middle to upper middle class men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or