U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 01:57 PM

424 posts, read 212,403 times

Advertisements

I'm not overly familar with soccer culture in Europe other than I know that the game is the most popular in Europe and around the world. Something I heard from two guys now and I'm not fully sure of what it means is "football is a working class game in England (and other countries in EU)"... They then say the upper class plays rugby.

I find this strange-- as I always thought soccer transcends all 'classes' of people...especially in England. I would love to get a lesson on English culture in this regard--- maybe I need to look up what exactly is the 'working' class. Are doctors, engineers, etc considered working class? Or is just a fireman and plumber, for example (no disrespect to any of these professions as I'm trying to learn)?

Let me put this in context as to why I'm really asking. We live in a town that has kids that are home schooled, go to public schools, and private schools (more the weatlhy type) but they all play the same games-- baseball, soccer, basketball and American football. So when I hear someone says "in the UK football is a working class game" it leaves me scratching my head. So no rich adults/ kids play soccer? You're telling me they all gravitate to Rugby?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 02:53 PM

7,810 posts, read 6,635,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
I'm not overly familar with soccer culture in Europe other than I know that the game is the most popular in Europe and around the world. Something I heard from two guys now and I'm not fully sure of what it means is "football is a working class game in England (and other countries in EU)"... They then say the upper class plays rugby.

I find this strange-- as I always thought soccer transcends all 'classes' of people...especially in England. I would love to get a lesson on English culture in this regard--- maybe I need to look up what exactly is the 'working' class. Are doctors, engineers, etc considered working class? Or is just a fireman and plumber, for example (no disrespect to any of these professions as I'm trying to learn)?

Let me put this in context as to why I'm really asking. We live in a town that has kids that are home schooled, go to public schools, and private schools (more the weatlhy type) but they all play the same games-- baseball, soccer, basketball and American football. So when I hear someone says "in the UK football is a working class game" it leaves me scratching my head. So no rich adults/ kids play soccer? You're telling me they all gravitate to Rugby?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
There is a bit of truth to this though it is a bit of an outdated view, it used to be that Rugby was played in the posher public schools and football in the state schools but its not really so any more. There are two codes of rugby (league and union) league traditionally was the working class game whereas union was for the toffs. Personally as a working class guy I can tell you that I like both Football and rugby union, don't mind league.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:33 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,770,532 times
Everyone in England loves football (well most people)

Rugby is a more upper-class sport, players call the referee 'sir' and in contrast to football there is more respect for referees and such. Although in rugby players can have a punch up and not be sent off the field which I love!

I wouldn't say what you said is true.. everyone plays football. It is just that rich families probably pay for their kids to go to private school, where rugby is a big thing. Most English rugby players come from private school.

Rugby is also much more popular up north than down south.. rugby league is very popular in the north and is more of a working class version of rugby union

Old 08-01-2014, 06:29 AM

Thanks guys-- good info.

What irlinit typed is what I've always assumed: Everyone in England loves football (well most people)

Old 08-01-2014, 07:00 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,389,655 times
My dad used to say something along the lines of "Rugby is a hooligans sport played by gentlemen and Football is a is a gentlemans sport played by hooligans". I say hooligans as this is a PG forum =)

Old 08-01-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
My dad used to say something along the lines of "Rugby is a hooligans sport played by gentlemen and Football is a is a gentlemans sport played by hooligans". I say hooligans as this is a PG forum =)
Yeah I think that is why the stigma came about that football (soccer) is a "working class" game in England.

IMO, if you think about it, American football and rugby just by the violent nature should be the "barbaric" sport which would normally be played by non-wealthy types. Here in the US folks that love soccer tell people that don't like the game that they don't understand it. Thus, the haters think soccer lovers in the states are some high and mighty person. If you think about it it's the direct opposite of the "working class" view that is of England....lol. These stereotypes are stupid really.... it's almost comical.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:43 AM

Back home all the guys who attend Rugby colleges are thought of as rich tossers who walk around with popped collars etc lol.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:41 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,539,902 times
Soccer all around the world is a working class sport. From my travels the upper crust people I've met tended to like tennis, rugby, golf, racing, and polo. Very few liked soccer and if they did they liked clubs like Real Madrid who represent the throne to some extent.

In the US though the main "working class" sport is basketball followed by soccer but soccer at the competitive level, ie for it to mean anything and to for your kid to go anywhere, its a a solidly middle class sport. Youth clubs are very expensive and to get the right training you need to shell out some cash.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:13 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,419,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
In the US though the main "working class" sport is basketball followed by soccer but soccer at the competitive level, ie for it to mean anything and to for your kid to go anywhere, its a a solidly middle class sport. Youth clubs are very expensive and to get the right training you need to shell out some cash.
I was just thinking about this. The fees associated with club soccer are:
Uniforms - Can be low, find the same color shirts and put numbers on them
Facilities - Can be low, get a park
Coaching - hmm, if you have a knowledgeable Dad it could be low
League fees - I have no idea on this, I assume it is low

So, maybe it could be done for cheap if one can get a group of kids together.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:18 AM

We used to pay 20 pound a season and every player who played on a Sunday paid 3 pound referee fees. 20 bought our shorts and socks, jersey was provided. Of course boots we had to buy too. It shouldn't be that expensive unless youre trying to make a profit out of something that you shouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or